PDA

View Full Version : I think I just made a pretty good $0.50 investment...

Legendary_Bibo
August 28th, 2010, 03:35 AM
So lately I've been trying to get a job at the college I go to as a math tutor. There were "bump in the road" so to speak. It turns out the guy who runs the tutor center had enough tutors, and he was really trying to get me hired as fast as possible (his lowest estimate of when I would probably start was four weeks) because I had really great recommendations from the math department head! Well I was at a snack stand getting food, and there was this one lady getting something to drink, but she was short on money, and I don't like carrying change in my pockets so I gave it to her. She thanked me and asked my name, and little to my knowledge she was headed to a meeting of the heads of the tutor centers. The guy who wanted to hire me was talking about trying to bring me on the payroll and if it was in the budget (he told me this), and the lady I gave money said she had money in her budget for me! It pays more, and I'm pretty sure I'll have as much hours as I want, and I think I'll be starting pretty soon. :)

It's math tutoring for people with ADD, and veterans of war. She told me I would have to kind of hide my age and the fact that I wasn't exactly professional though, but she made an exception because I was such a nice stranger to her, and because of my merits. Yay!

uRock
August 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Congrats! It does pay to be courteous.

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Ooh, nice luck there. Enjoy!

Austin25
August 28th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Karma.
Works for the good, too.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Congratulations. :D

mendhak
August 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM
You have gained karma!
http://guides.gamepressure.com/fallout3brokensteel/gfx/word/239275203.jpg

3rdalbum
August 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Karma really does work. I sold a lady some bar stools and she said that she was really nervous about assembling them. I felt sorry for her, and she was quite a likable lady, so I offered to assemble them for her.

That night, my girlfriend and I went out to eat at a fancy restaurant. A mystery diner sent the waitress over to give us $100 to pay for our meal. To this day we don't know who sent the $100.

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Karma discussion thread now?

But yeah, it gets back at you in the strangest ways.

keithpeter
August 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hello Legendary_Bibo

Well done for a selfless act that had positive repercussions! The gesture itself probably told the lady who hired you that you have the qualities she needs in a maths tutor!

It's math tutoring for people with ADD, and veterans of war. She told me I would have to kind of hide my age and the fact that I wasn't exactly professional though, but she made an exception because I was such a nice stranger to her, and because of my merits. Yay!

I suggest that you start reading about the educational needs of these groups, and make a point of talking to the other tutors on a regular basis and seeing how they work with clients. Depending on the level of Maths that you are working with, you may find that the difficulties that your students have are unusual, and may be linked with strong emotions. If you are thinking of teaching as a possible career, this will be excellent experience.

You may find its mostly about managing the learning and less about the actual maths. I'm guessing at the situation as I'm UK based and our educational systems are very different.

DrMelon
August 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Chivalry pays off, eh?

undecim
August 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
That's why it's good to be courteous. You never know when one little selfless act will come full circle.

KegHead
August 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hi!

I've spent $500,000.00.

Still no karma!

KegHead

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hahah, intentions as well as the deeds must be good. Just donating money to show-off is no good, for example. But since I don't know what you did in details, I shall not comment.

t0p
August 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM
It's always nice to be nice. When I see people begging for money outside the train station (a distressingly increasing phenomenon) I try to give something. There but for the grace of Eris and all that.

Karma is certainly a believable concept, but giving for the sake of giving is cool too. I have experienced the horror of poverty myself, and I always smile when I remember the people who helped me. Something as trivial as the money for a cup of tea means so much when you have nothing.

wkhasintha
August 28th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hi!

I've spent $500,000.00.

Still no karma!

KegHead

If you were expecting karma to payoff , It most probably wouldn't. Not only giving but the thoughts also do count. merit doesn't go along with greed.

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
If you were expecting karma to payoff , It most probably wouldn't. Not only giving but the thoughts also do count. merit doesn't go along with greed.
Speak not in an accusatory tone, for we know naught of the person's circumstances.

wkhasintha
August 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Speak not in an accusatory tone, for we know naught of the person's circumstances.

I didn't . For every 'IF' has an 'ELSE' :KS

MooPi
August 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm hoping my good deeds will carry me through retirement. I have given away my services as Computer tech for many years. Now that I'm retiring I'm going to build custom Linux boxes for any interested and repair Windows systems that always need help. Altruism should pay off, knock on wood and cross my fingers. You seem like a nice young man. Always remember kindness always wins the hearts and minds of those that trust. I say trust because the mistrustful interpret kindness as a ploy or weakness.

Spice Weasel
August 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Congrats on the job! :popcorn: