PDA

View Full Version : A question about android language input

BastardNamban
August 28th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. As android is a linux OS, but not ubuntu,
I wasn't sure where to or if I could ask this here. Most of the Android related posts showed up here.

I want to finally get a smartphone, and the Android powered Samsung Captivate looks sweet. I played around with the keyboard
today on one- amazing tactile response, even from my huge fingers. I was typing nearly as fast as with my laptop keyboard, and I still can't believe that.

After looking at the phone's language input options, it internally had French and German. I use SCIM with Anthy Japanese input in Ubuntu, and I noticed
looking around from my laptop on android there appears to be some form of Japanese input available to Android, listed as "Japanese (ja_JP)" on here. (http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.2.html#locs)
I also found some poorly reviewed apps on the phone's store itself for Japanese input.

HERE'S what I want to know: Since I know next to nothing about how Android works, I want to ask- is there or can there be a way to add the linux program
SCIM to an Android powered smartphone to do input method switching? Or is there a way to enable some latent input method in the OS itself, as seemingly listed above?

I'm bilingual in Japanese and English, and I could really, really use a wonderful program like SCIM's Anthy on a smartphone.

Am I insane for trying to achieve this? Or has someone done it? Is this something simple, or impossible? Anyone?

That said, what is the advantage to a linux user of getting an android phone? Is there one? I see linux on my laptop, and think there must be some point or advantage
to having linux on my phone, but I'm smart enough to admit when I'm stupid!

Austin25
August 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM
It might take a little coding and definitely a recompile for the Android's processor, but maybe.