PDA

View Full Version : Buy Dell Dimension 4600C or Not?

razorboy5
August 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Hey
I'm in the market for a new desktop (nothing fancy) came across this local ad

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-DELL-DIMENSION-4600C-DESKTOP-W0QQAdIdZ226236678

was wondering if I should buy it or not. Specs are on this page

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-4600-for/1707-3118_7-30529709.html

The desktop only comes with 512 ram however I could easily upgrade it to 2GB then I'm sitting with a machine 2.8Ghz/2GB ram/120GB which isn't too bad (CPU is hyperthreaded as well). But with the integrated graphics card in this machine would I be able to dual screen on 2 17 inch LCDs? Basically only gonna use this to do schoolwork, internet browsing and playing music. If anyone could give me any tips, advice, warnings, ... basically any information about this machine I'd appretiate it :) thx

Legendary_Bibo
August 28th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Hey
I'm in the market for a new desktop (nothing fancy) came across this local ad

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-DELL-DIMENSION-4600C-DESKTOP-W0QQAdIdZ226236678

was wondering if I should buy it or not. Specs are on this page

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-4600-for/1707-3118_7-30529709.html

The desktop only comes with 512 ram however I could easily upgrade it to 2GB then I'm sitting with a machine 2.8Ghz/2GB ram/120GB which isn't too bad (CPU is hyperthreaded as well). But with the integrated graphics card in this machine would I be able to dual screen on 2 17 inch LCDs? Basically only gonna use this to do schoolwork, internet browsing and playing music. If anyone could give me any tips, advice, warnings, ... basically any information about this machine I'd appretiate it :) thx

I have that except for some reason I only have freaking 256mb of RAM. It plays nicely with Linux, for me I use Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Puppy on it. If you upgrade the RAM you should be fine to run normal Ubuntu or even Kubuntu.

By playing nicely I mean you won't have a difficult time with it. Pop in the disc, install, wait, done.

razorboy5
August 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM
do u think I'd be able to do dual screen smoothly with it's integrated graphics? and how is the 2.8Ghz hyperthreaded CPU?

by ur first post i'm assuming u would recommend it for 75 dollars :)?

UKBB
August 28th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Isn't dual screen a function of the video card? I have a 4600 and had to add a video card and 1 gig of memory to it. With just 512 it was constantly clattering the hard drive. Once I bumped the memory up it smoothed right out. One thing I have noticed was that Ubuntu taxes the processor more than windows did and that causes the fan to ramp up when playing videos or if I'm running something in the background on VBox/WinXP. I don't run dual monitors on my set up.

razorboy5
August 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM
well it comes with a

Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Shared video memory

which I assume is basically a video card. Was just wondering if it was good enough to be able to dual screen. And what ram did u install in it? I'm looking online and not finding any for cheap

an0dos
August 28th, 2010, 02:01 AM
well it comes with a

Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Shared video memory

which I assume is basically a video card. Was just wondering if it was good enough to be able to dual screen. And what ram did u install in it? I'm looking online and not finding any for cheap

I'm pretty sure that video card can't handle dual monitors. If you need a cheap video card for two monitors try an nvidia geforce 5200 from eBay. You will also want to add some RAM. 512mb isn't very much these days. In the end you might end up spending an additional $75 to make it decently usable with dual monitor output. I ran ubuntu 10.04 on a P4 with 1.00 gb RAM and a 5200fx. It was good enough for work, but not exactly a speed demon.

razorboy5
August 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM
dam... dat's a damper... if it was just the video card i have to upgrade i'd definately think it's worth it (canadacomputers is selling geforce 6200 for 34 dollars) but ram i've noticed costs about 30-40 dollars per gig also. Well thx for the help :) just saved me a bit of money ^^

razorboy5
August 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Hey thought I'd report back. I did infact buy a Dell Dimension 4600 but at a different price

bought tower for $60 thought it was a pretty good deal considering it has hyperthreading cpu as well as 512mb ram (2 slots 256 each)

then went ahead to fill the other 2 slots with 256 ddr ram each putting the system at 1GB ram ($5 each)

bought e-geforce fx5200 (128mb with dual monitor support - checked online and it only had dvi port but this seller showed me pictures with dvi and vga output so... i bought it ^^)

putting my system at $85 so far (had a 19inch LCD sitting at home, colour's a bit off but still usable) and planning on buying a 2nd 19inch LCD and try out the dual monitors.

I think it was a pretty good buy for its cost should be able to use it for a good year or two.

PapaGeek
September 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
So how's the Dell 4600 handling Ubuntu 10.04?
I have a Dimension 4600 as well, I tried Ubuntu on it a while back, I think it was version 7.

My D4600 is a 3 GHZ Hyperthread, 4GB RAM, 120 GB HD.
Creative Sound Blaster Live! for audio and an Nvidia GEForce 5200 for video.

I had the computer connected to a 32 LCD TV but the video card couldn't drive that. I never dug deep enough to find out why.

I am looking at switching back to Ubuntu ONLY on this computer, anybody with these specs (or similar) care to share their experience? Thanks in advance.