PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel panic after upgrade to 10.04

akapi
August 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hello,
Since I upgraded my Dell XPS M1330 to Ubuntu 10.04, it doesn't boot anymore, but gives the following error message:

[ 0.762279] kernel panic -not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknow
wn -block(0,0)

If I try to boot in recovery mode, I get this:

libudev: udev_monitor_new_from?netlink: error getting socket: invalid argument
[ 19.092186] wait-for-root[916]: segfault at 00000030 eip b7709f2b esp bff55eb
0 error 4
Segmentation fault
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat/proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait too long?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- missing modules (cat/proc/modules: ls /dev)
Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/06731e27-47ac-4a83-aa05-b5cf2bb61748 does not exist. Dropping to shell!

I'm not quite sure what I did to cause that problem, but I think I may have upgraded directly from Ubuntu 8 to 10 without going through 9 first. Also, I used the automatic upgrade button rather than a complete re-install, which I understand now to be a bad thing. Do you have any advice for me?

I tried a couple of solutions suggested in other threads on this forum with similar problems, but without success.

For example, when I put

sudo dpkg --configure -a
into the terminal, it just doesn't react at all.

Whereas

sudo grub -install /dev/sda
gives me this:
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.

The other stupid thing I did is not to backup my files before the upgrade. Is there any chance of getting at them from the live session?

Many thanks in advance!

akapi
August 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Just to say that meanwhile I found the reply to my last question in the absolute beginners forum> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1236742&page=3
:-\"
So, after getting myself a live CD with the latest Ubuntu version I was able to see my homefolder again, and with

gksudo nautilus
I was able to copy the data to an external drive. So I think I'll stop bothering about why the upgrade went wrong and why my computer won't boot and just do a clean install.