PDA

View Full Version : NVU vs Bluefish

the_tiger
April 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Ok. Which do you think is best and why?

Update: If you don't like using either what do you use and what is it that you like about your editor?

ComplexNumber
April 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM
NVU because its a wysiwyg.

ReiKn
April 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I prefer bluefish as I don't need wysiwyg and it runs way faster on my rather old T20.

ember
April 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I like bluefish better, generally I am not very fond of wysiwyg editors - to me it seems they tend to produce cluttered code.

Sheinar
April 6th, 2006, 11:19 PM
While I don't really like using either, Bluefish is the better application. I don't like NVU in the slightest.

freedomforme
April 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM
bluefish for me! Cleaner code. More control. lighter on resources...

Is NVU still being developed? When was the last release anyway?

dolny
April 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM
If NVU supported php I would use it. For now - I'm using Quanta. Anyway, NVU is very cool, still, the development is stalled (???)

Swiss
April 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Nvu, although I also use and like Bluefish...:p

briancurtin
April 7th, 2006, 05:44 AM
vim or sometimes gedit

thats all i need

curuxz
April 7th, 2006, 10:30 AM
First off I think screem and quanta should be in the poll list. Secondly I dont think nvu and bluefish are even in the same category since as mentioned by others nvu is HTML only which for web design is totaly useless in the modern world, people need php and the kind of CSS control you get in bluefish, quanta etc...

Nvu needs lots more work before its ready to take on bluefish, its a nice idea but the 2 projects have totaly diffrent aims.

Alpha_toxic
April 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm not very much into web design, so I may be missing sth, but why only NVU and BlueFish? What about Amaya for example?

the_tiger
April 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I chose NVU and Bluefish as they were the ones most often recommended. I intended this post to stimulate discussion of all web development programs and their relative merits. What is it you like about Amaya and why do you use it over NVU and Bluefish?

ComplexNumber
April 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
What is it you like about Amaya and why do you use it over NVU and Bluefish? sorry to butt in, but amaya is better than both. its like a cross between nvu and bluefish. unfortunately, it still uses the old gtk1 toolkit. its a very good program, though. its also very old (it was started even before KDE or gnome existed).

the_tiger
April 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Ok. How do I add Amaya to the poll now I have already set it up?

ComplexNumber
April 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Ok. How do I add Amaya to the poll now I have already set it up? if you can't see a way to do so yourself, PM a moderator or admin and ask them to add the option for you :). however, given the fact that nvu and bluefish already have a number of votes, the poll is always going to be skewed

eriqk
April 7th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Bluefish, because it's WYGIWYN.
It's like Dreamweaver without the design view. And because design view was a mistake anyway, I'd say it beats Dreamweaver.

I miss Quanta in the poll, by the way. It's like Bluefish, only for KDE.

Groet, Erik

detyabozhye
April 23rd, 2006, 06:33 AM
I go with Screem, or just SciTE.

airtonix
April 23rd, 2006, 07:15 AM
hear hear.....first i started with notepad...and im like wtf all this brain learning....bugger that...then i moved to frontpage....and after about a week, im like what happend to my pages? then im like "sigh gonna have to learn something", so i started learning the html and css...and its goodbye MS. after that it was learning ASP through dreamweaver.....which in the process, i booted wysiwyg, coz you never get what you see, in those emulations, and moved to something with line numbering and block indenting with tab key. Sooo, whilst still on *******, i used emEditor whilst working for an adelaide webdesign company and mann that prog is great.....

but now on ubuntu, gedit is bloatware takes like 30 secs to load a simple text editor(wtf). so i use bluefish, since it loads in about the same time as gedit and has a much morereliable ftp manager than gftp or nautilus (not to mention dreamweaver.). if i need to change sya one-character, then i load the prog up via cli into leafpad....a very fast notepad clone with line numbering....take like 4 secs to load. o dont want interruptions to my workflow so i love it.

but yeah bluefish all the way......

tseliot
April 23rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
I'm not an expert, actually I'm a noob in this field, and I found NVU easier to use (for my limited needs).

ComplexNumber
April 23rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
gedit is bloatware takes like 30 secs to load a simple text editor(wtf). 30 seconds!? :shock::confused:. its always loaded instantaneously(literally) for me on every distro.

kassetra
April 23rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
I use:

radrails
bluefish
cssed
amaya
mlview
screem
nvu
peacock

Each application shines in one specific category of the development process for me.

radrails - is for ruby on rails development.

bluefish - is based on the best html / script editor I ever used (Homesite - I started with version 0.5 - which was in 95?) - and I have loved it for doing all of my html-based work.

cssed - since I design entirely through css now, cssed is an extremely important tool for me. This is the *best* css editor I have ever seen or used. (Combine this tool with gnome color map and you have a winning combination!)

amaya - I used amaya when it first came out (long after I was an avid homesite/bluefish fan) - and it is still a good tool for pinpointing oddities in outputted html/css code. It's also gotten a lot better in the last two years (I also developed my own interface and implement my customizations every time I upgrade.)

mlview - is an xml editor, which has started to become extremely handy while I develop applications that need config files and such.

screem - I have used to double-check site integrity (it's true shining point) and make sure I haven't overlooked some messed up connections/links/paths, etc.

nvu - I used nvu for quick and dirty my-client-wants-to-see-a-visual-web-editor-work-with-his-site processes.

peacock - I use when I want to visually lay out tables (which, now, I don't use anymore, poor peacock!)

ssam
April 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
gedit or scite and some python scripting to manage everything. the script can puts together the content and a template to make sure each page looks the same. (i intend to publish the script when it is a bit more polished, but if anyone is interested let me know)

cssed - since I design entirely through css now, cssed is an extremely important tool for me. This is the *best* css editor I have ever seen or used. (Combine this tool with gnome color map and you have a winning combination!)

that looks interesting, i am going to give it a try.

nephish
April 23rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
i intend to publish the script when it is a bit more polished, but if anyone is interested let me know)

im interrested.

jeremy
April 23rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
NVU because its a wysiwyg.
Bluefish because it's not wysiwyg!

DirtDawg
April 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I've been rewriting my website by hand using cream (http://cream.sourceforge.net/).

I made my website the first time using Adobe GoLive. I have realized that building a site by hand creates a higher quality product, just like anything else (and just like anything else, it takes longer). The equivalence between a chair built for Ikea or a chair built by an Amish craftsman.

I agree cssed looks real nice, but it's not available in the Hoary repositories.
Nuts :-?

benplaut
April 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM
i, um, err...

i use vim O:)

Vic_Astro
April 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Bluefish. I don't do wysiwyg. I'm still doing vim 90%, tbh.

aysiu
April 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Bluefish. I don't do wysiwyg. I'm still doing vim 90%, tbh. I use Kate, and it's worked out wonderfully for me, much better than Notepad did on Windows.

sulobanks
May 18th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I agree with kassetra. I use a variety of tools because each one has things I like and don't like about it. If my project requires a lot of javascript and/or php, I'm more likely to use something like jedit. Bluefish is fabulous for html/xhtml and has a lot of nice shortcuts that jedit doesn't, but sometimes it locks up on me when closing a tab. I like Quanta, but I haven't had such great luck with it or kate in gnome. cssed is really nice for getting my style sheets set up. Occasionally, I might use something like nvu just to get a page set up quickly, but I'm rarely satisfied with the code generated by wysiwyg applications.

DirtDawg
May 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I use Kate, and it's worked out wonderfully for me, much better than Notepad did on Windows.

Pshaw! Notepad is the greatest editor ever invented.

rejser
June 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Zend studio? but it costs a penny or to.

Johnsie
June 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I like wysiwyg for some things like designing forms and it saves me a lot of typing. THen I go into the source and edit it so I prefer NVU (or Mozilla Composer)

However, my favourite design tool is Frontpage Express (not the proper frontpage) which is quite old but in my opinion it's by far the best wysiwyg editor available..... I only wish I could get it to work with wine because that's the only program I miss from Windows.

BrunoC
June 20th, 2006, 05:01 AM
I like Dreamweaver, 5 years working with it. Now i'm trying Screem and Bluefish, good ones.

maagimies
June 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Pshaw! Notepad is the greatest editor ever invented.
Heh, Notepad's the most simplest editor ever invented, both to the user and to the programmer, it takes about 8 minutes to program IF you write all the code from scratch, 2-3 minutes with the default Windows application code there :D
edit:
And I use neither of those, I use Quanta. But If I had to make a choice, NVU.

mattotoole
June 11th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I've been using Bluefish lately and I'm really happy with it. Years ago I enjoyed Homesite and Quanta+ before they got junked up with WYSIWYG. Bluefish gets back to that. My only complaint with Bluefish is that it's slow with a lot of files open. If I have to do a search and replace on 40 files, It's faster and easier to just use vi or nedit.

zugu
June 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Dreamweaver's code view is just awesome. I love the auto-complete feature, it's one of the best I've encountered. The design view is also useful for quick hacks that would take eons to perform in code view.

As for the people complaining about the "bloat" and "invalid code" Dreamweaver adds, you can always validate your pages and stylesheets using the built-in validator or better, the W3C validator.

Notepad might be OK, but it has no auto-complete feature. NVU is horrendeous.

detyabozhye
June 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Problem is Dreamweaver doesn't run on Linux natively (although it runs perfectly on Wine).

thisllub
June 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM
i, um, err...

i use vim O:)

Do you know the secret handshake?

There is no other editor.

thisllub
June 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I like Dreamweaver, 5 years working with it. Now i'm trying Screem and Bluefish, good ones.

Dreamweaver creates unintelligible web pages. 500 lines of html & script to do what only needed 50.

zugu
June 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Dreamweaver creates unintelligible web pages. 500 lines of html & script to do what only needed 50.

People ready to pay a couple of hundred USD for a tool like Dreamweaver are knowledgeable enough about clean code, W3C recommandations and bloat. Also, Dreamweaver is not generating code by itself, except in a few, well-documented situations. Most of the time the user is the one writing code.

People who build pages by exclusively using the design view are not real webdesigners, even if the code resulted by using such methods is much more clean since Dreamweaver 8.

kuja
June 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Quanta+. Integrated Konqueror preview among other plugins. Nice layout. The editing component is Kate so you just know it's awesome and very flexible ;) Integrated Konsole Kpart. KIOslaves + ftp = win.

Jumpmasterrt
July 31st, 2008, 09:21 AM
I've only ever done web design on a win box so using Linux to do it now will be new to me. I've used Dreamweaver from 5 - 8, Frontpage, a bunch of open source PHP editors and notepad. Never really liked any of them.
The one program that I constantly use, over and over and over for CSS, PHP, HTML and XML is Notepad++. Problem is, it doesn't run on Linux without WinE and I REALLY want to cut the "cord". As the name suggests, it's a txt editor with some REALLY cool features. So does anyone know of a Linux compatible similar program? I'm sure they were mentioned in this thread but after reading it and looking around I didn't see anything that's comparable.

References would be just fine. I prefer to do the research myself. Thanks.

kuja
July 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM
I've only ever done web design on a win box so using Linux to do it now will be new to me. I've used Dreamweaver from 5 - 8, Frontpage, a bunch of open source PHP editors and notepad. Never really liked any of them.
The one program that I constantly use, over and over and over for CSS, PHP, HTML and XML is Notepad++. Problem is, it doesn't run on Linux without WinE and I REALLY want to cut the "cord". As the name suggests, it's a txt editor with some REALLY cool features. So does anyone know of a Linux compatible similar program? I'm sure they were mentioned in this thread but after reading it and looking around I didn't see anything that's comparable.

References would be just fine. I prefer to do the research myself. Thanks.

Wow, this is one old, old thread.

I recommend trying Kate.

Saint Angeles
July 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM
I like bluefish better, generally I am not very fond of wysiwyg editors - to me it seems they tend to produce cluttered code.
+1!

i used to use notepad when i used windows but bluefish is much better

Lostincyberspace
July 31st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Have You tried using scite (http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html) I love it for coding and it is not biased towards anything.

K.Mandla
July 31st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Closed for necromancy.