PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Any ALSA ninjas in that can help me? (HDMI and headphone)

geekyhawkes
August 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hey,

I am trying to get audio from both HDMI and my line out (headphone) connections on my ubuntu machine.

I have a recent version of ALSA (using the update script posted here, thanks), and my asound.conf is below (as I am guessing this is the solution but cause of my problem currently).

#new section

pcm.analog {
type plug
slave.pcm "analog-hw"
hint {
show on
description "analog output"
}
}

ctrl.analog {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

#################
#################

# pcm.mixed-analog [
# type plug
# slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
# hint {
# show on
# description " Mixed analog output"
# }
#}

#ctrl.mixed-analog {
# type hw
# card 0
#}

###########SECTION ABOVE DISABLED######

# ctl.optical {
# type hw
# card 0
# device 1
# }

########### Section above disabled, no pcm optical defined#######

pcm.hdmiout {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

ctl.hdmiout {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

pcm.analog-hw {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

ctrl.analog-hw {
type hw
card 0
}
# MIGHT NEED A DEVICE ADDING IN HERE ABOVE

pcm.dmix-analog {
type dmix
ipc_key 1234
slave {
pcm "analog-hw"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 48000
}
}

ctrl.dmixanalog {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm multi
rate 48000
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
}

ctrl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.myth {
type plug
slave {
pcm multi
rate 48000
channels 4
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
}

ctrl.myth{
type hw
card 0
}

######Probably in the wrong place#####

# pcm.optical {
# type hw
# card 0
# device 1
#}

pcm.multi {
type multi
slaves.a.pcm "hdmiout"
slaves.a.channels 2
slaves.b.pcm "analog-hw"
slaves.b.channels 2
bindings.0.slave a
bindings.0.channel 0
bindings.1.slave a
bindings.1.channel 1
bindings.2.slave b
bindings.2.channel 0
bindings.3.slave b
bindings.3.channel 1
}

ctl.multi {
type hw
card 0
}

Any help on where i have gone wrong?

Thanks

AlphaLexman
August 27th, 2010, 10:22 PM
You should take a look at 'alsactl'

man alsactl

geekyhawkes
August 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I must be dumb, i looked but couldnt really work out how it would take me forward

geekyhawkes
August 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
So with a bit more investigation, it appears that i dont really have any anaolgue output at all, when i connnect anything to the line out i dont really get static or anything.

I have checked aplay -l and the anaolgue device is listed there (as 0). I think the issue must be in my asound.conf but i cannot work out what i need to do.

Can anyone offer me some help?

Thanks

AlphaLexman
August 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I am trying to get audio from both HDMI and my line out (headphone) connections on my ubuntu machine.
What do the physical audio connections look like?

'3.5 mm' is a standard analog headphone plug
'hdmi' is a 19 pin connector 13.9 mm x 4.45 mm
'optical digital" plugs are more square-like with a fiber-optic cable in the middle

Both Alsa and PulseAudio treat each option differently, and require different settings.

geekyhawkes
August 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Ok, should have been more clear, i want audio from HDMI and analog headphone plugs via ALSA.

I dont appear to have any output at the moment from either the 5.1 outputs or the headphone connectors, but do have hdmi audio.

Currently HDMI feeds my tv for audio, but i also want the headphone output so i can feed my wireless speakers with music (for around the house etc).

Thanks for any help, heres hoping!

geekyhawkes
August 31st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Anyone see what im doing wrong with this? Im going no where fast at the moment!

tripmix
August 31st, 2010, 10:49 PM
I don't think you can output to both devices simultaneously. If the HDMI goes to your tv or a amplifier there is usually a minijack audio-out plug in those and plugging the headphones in there should work. Otherwise the only solution I can think of would be to get a script or something that detects the minijack being plugged inn and switches output device automatically similar to how windows sometimes act. Pulse is fairly new and I don't know much about it so it might be possible to do something with that but chances are if you manage to get it to output from both devices simultaneously you'll get sound from both your hdmi device and you pc speakers when the headphones are unplugged. Also sound will be coming from you hdmi device even if you use the headphones so make sure you turn off the amplifier before watching pron :D

EDIT: I take back "it's not possible" I just ran these command to test

mplayer -fs -zoom -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 file.mp3 &
mplayer -fs -zoom -ao alsa:device=hw=0.3 file.mp3
and I'm getting sound in both simultaneously, I have no idea how to start configuring it system wide though, sorry.

EDIT2: Not very familiar asound.conf but would it be possible to add multiple devices
to the same option maybe? Like so

pcm.hdmiout {
type hw
card 0
device 3
device 0
}
or would that just mess things up?

geekyhawkes
September 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
No problem, i kind of assumed it would be fine so its good to hear the test prooved it.

I am not sure about running 2 devices in asound.conf, anyone any thoughts on this? This would be a very simple solution to the problem!

lidex
September 3rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Perhaps a simpler solution is using paprefs (pulse audio preferences). On the 'Simultaneous output' tab, enable the option 'Add virtual...'

geekyhawkes
September 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds good, i thought i wouldnt be using pulse as i use alsa? do they run at the same time, or are they exclusive? I dont overly want to mess around getting pulse in as alsa has been pretty bomb proof until now.

lidex
September 5th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Pulse directs traffic and allows multiple outputs from alsa - sounds like just what you need.

geekyhawkes
September 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Ok thanks, so im guessing then i dont need to do anything more than enable the virtual output as you directed in the previous post (as im running 10.04 mythbuntu on the system in question).

Thanks

geekyhawkes
September 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Installing paprefs as we speak (had to go down the route of synaptic package manager to find it, some reason sudo apt-get install paprefs didnt work). I will report back on it goes. Thanks for the help so far

Vigh
September 9th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hi, I have perfect audio, I use pulseaudio and alsa together. All sound is working on my Toshiba Laptop, including HDMI. I don't use asound.conf at all though. I just edit alsa-base.conf when I need to customize settings. Make sure you have linux-backports installed and the correct sound-card selected, it can be a bit tricky to set-up. I found using alsa-lucid-generic with pulseaudio works best, also make sure you have linux alsa backports installed. If you need help still just PM me and I will explain step by step.

geekyhawkes
September 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks, it isnt quite as easy as adding a simul output in pulse. So i want this working on my mythbuntu setup with myth tv, what i have so far is the asound.conf as stated at the start of this thread. I have installed paprefs and selected simul outputs with virtual device.

If i go into mythtv and select pulse audio as the output device then i get nothing over HDMI or out of the 3.5 headphones. I if select alsa:default in mythtv then i get audio from hdmi but nothing out of the 3.5 headphone (which was as my setup was behaving before the paprefs was installed).

Thoughts?

geekyhawkes
September 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Is anyone able to help me get this up and running? I have selected simul output as detailed above but with no luck. Google isnt giving me many clues on setting up pulse in this way and all of the asound.conf files i can find around the place dont quite give me the solution im after.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help;

Andy

lidex
September 27th, 2010, 01:51 AM
You may find useful info here:
http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

geekyhawkes
September 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Its a good guide thanks but doesnt really offer much to the solution i need. The guide seems to suggest that i cannot have HDMI and analogue audio at the same time but I have found Nvidea forums that seem to suggest otherwise.

I guess it might be worth a register there and see if someone can offer me a solution (sadly the asound.conf i found there doesnt give me the solution either)

ktbos
November 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
geekyhawkes, I'm exactly where you are: Ubuntu (10.10) with either HDMI or analog headphone jack working in MythTV but not both at the same time. And I need both so I can send the HDMI stream to a remote room and still use the audio to speakers/headphones in the local room. So I'm hoping you've got it worked out in the time since your last post? Can you post again with update progress? Thanks!!

ktbos
November 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
FYI, I've got mine working. I followed instructions at the KnoppMythWiki DigitalAudioHowTo (http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=DigitalAudioHowTo). There's a sample asound.conf file in the section "Using asound.conf" which I copied into my asound.conf (replacing all of my previous failed attempts). The only edits I needed to make were to change "analog-hw" to "front" and to change "digital-hw" to "hdmi" to match the existing values for my setup. (Which I was able to find using 'aplay -L').
With that setup, I was able to test with 'speaker-test -c 2 -P 2' and I got sound on both hdmi feed and on the analog output from the green mini-jack (rear panel and headphones). Then, back into MythTV and switched the frontend audio to "ALSA:default" and confirmed that MythTV plays over both audio feeds now. Done!

geekyhawkes
November 9th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for this, i had never got it working before. Hopefully this will work for me, I will give it a go at the weekend and report back!

geekyhawkes
November 14th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Right, im getting confused now. Does this need to go in .asoundrc or asound.conf?

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm multi
rate 48000
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
}

pcm.stereo {
type plug
slave {
pcm multi
rate 48000
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
}

ctl.stereo {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.multi {
type multi
slaves.a.pcm "analog-hw"
slaves.a.channels 2
slaves.b.pcm "digital-hw"
slaves.b.channels 2
bindings.0.slave a
bindings.0.channel 0
bindings.1.slave a
bindings.1.channel 1
bindings.2.slave b
bindings.2.channel 0
bindings.3.slave b
bindings.3.channel 1
}

ctl.multi {
type hw
card 0
}

I have tried it in asound.conf and when i select alsa:digital i get no audio out of hdmi or anaolgue. When i go back to alsa:default then i get hdmi but no analoge.

As an aside, when i go into aslamixer the headfone volume is at 00 but i cannot make it any louder, this could clearly be part of the problem.

How do i go about getting the volume of the headfone louder?