PDA

View Full Version : Paul Allen Sues a bunch of companies...

slooksterpsv
August 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
This is why I love Linux and would rather use it than Windows. Oh anyone notice who isn't on the list? Hmm odd right?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703294904575385241453119382.html

Why do people have to have all these stupid patents? So would I get sued for programming -

#PYTHON
if userad=computers: showrelatedads()

Spice Weasel
August 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
This just in - Microsoft sues creators of X11 and Ford for use of the word "Windows".

samalex
August 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
This is quite disturbing:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703294904575385241453119382.html?m od=djemalertNEWS

Looks like Paul Allen is suing almost everyone over some patents that are over a decade old. What can these companies due when the troll is bigger than they are?

What a gross misuse of the patent system, and Paul Allen should know better.

Sam

K.Mandla
August 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Similar similar threads threads merged merged.

slooksterpsv
August 28th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Let's see Microsoft and Amazon are missing from the list why?
Paul Allen co-founded Microsoft
Paul Allen lives in the same city where Amazon is

Odd isn't it. Makes me wonder if Microsoft is behind it, personally. Take out all the competition, but indirectly.

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I on the other hand, don't choose an OS because of some silly lawsuit that has nothing to do with me.

People on here get too worked up about stupid lawsuits.

handy
August 28th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Perhaps this will be the bale of hay that forces changes in the laws to come via the US government.

It really makes it so obvious that changes to the patent laws are so badly needed.

slooksterpsv
August 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Perhaps this will be the bale of hay that forces changes in the laws to come via the US government.

It really makes it so obvious that changes to the patent laws are so badly needed.

I whole-heartedly agree.

DoubleClicker
August 28th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Yes they are needed, but over the past 10 years, changes have been going the wrong direction. Almost every bit of legislation on intellectual property, has been to strengthen the property holder's claim, and when violated by an individual, instead of a corporation it can have criminal prosecution.

The constitution of the United States: void where prohibited by law

handy
August 28th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Yes they are needed, but over the past 10 years, changes have been going the wrong direction. Almost every bit of legislation on intellectual property, has been to strengthen the property holder's claim, and when violated by an individual, instead of a corporation it can have criminal prosecution.

The constitution of the United States: void where prohibited by law

This fairly new doco' called Psywar, has been really well made. It points out (amongst other things) that the founding fathers created the constitution to protect the wealthy from the poor.

http://exposureroom.com/members/Durruti/f8bb07c6a12646e199602f6d16d53d55/

MasterNetra
August 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
This just in - Microsoft sues creators of X11 and Ford for use of the word "Windows".

x11 and Ford aren't OS's. No case.

gbestrada
August 28th, 2010, 04:40 AM
that happens when people uses other persons ideas and start making money ,then
that person wants its share and becomes too greedy.:lolflag:

KiwiNZ
August 28th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I on the other hand, don't choose an OS because of some silly lawsuit that has nothing to do with me.

+1

Some thing that always amuses me it's as if the writs were in their mail boxes.

phrostbyte
August 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM
+1

Some thing that always amuses me it's as if the writs were in their mail boxes.

Software patents are arguably the biggest threat FOSS faces today.

Austin25
August 28th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Man! I hate software patents!](*,)

nrs
August 28th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah, he's a patent trolling. So has almost everyone of the companies he's suing.
They've all abused the patent system, they're all in favour of it.

So I say :popcorn:

alexfish
August 28th, 2010, 10:58 AM
This is quite disturbing:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703294904575385241453119382.html?m od=djemalertNEWS

Looks like Paul Allen is suing almost everyone over some patents that are over a decade old. What can these companies due when the troll is bigger than they are?

What a gross misuse of the patent system, and Paul Allen should know better.

Sam

Think he needs to find out who invented electricity

to which none of this technology would exist

then inventor of the power-switch

Think I will go out and buy all those Patents : If

He has not already done so

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, he's a patent trolling. So has almost everyone of the companies he's suing.

If they continue revenge suits, then the vicious cycle of patent trolling's gonna continue.

gnomeuser
August 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I really liked Paul Allen when I learned he donated considerable funds to building a radio telescope array in part for the SETI project to use.

This makes me lose respect for him, patent trolling is the lowest form of wit.

nrs
August 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM

If they continue revenge suits, then the vicious cycle of patent trolling's gonna continue.
I disagree. I think the harder they're hit the more likelier they are to reevalute their support of a corrupt / incompetent patent system.

You act is if Paul Allen just sued Jesus. He sued a bunch of people just like him. They're all getting a taste of their own medicine.

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Their influence in the government and justice sectors is yet to fade. And like I said, feeding each other their bitter medicine isn't gonna make them realise it's ineffectiveness, but make them do it more.

rox retro
August 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Microsoft co-founder, now with his own company, sues everybody BUT Microsoft. Well I never saw that one coming. :rolleyes:

Maybe he is trying to get himself noticed for when Ballmer steps down. :)

Something really needs to be done about the patent system. But I fear it will become far worse before it gets even marginally better.

Merk42
August 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
As long as the people in government are human and therefore accept bribes listen to lobbiers of large corporations, such sweeping change will never happen.

MooPi
August 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Yes some folks get worked up but thats just their way of expressing. Needless these issues need attention because they do affect everyone, even the unconnected, and unaware.

sydbat
August 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm wondering if Paul Allen is doing this because maybe, just maybe, he sees the whole US software patent idea as ludicrous and is trying to make a point. Maybe his real intent is to get the whole US software patent system changed.

Remember, software patents are only in the US. They do not apply anywhere else.

phrostbyte
August 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I'm wondering if Paul Allen is doing this because maybe, just maybe, he sees the whole US software patent idea as ludicrous and is trying to make a point. Maybe his real intent is to get the whole US software patent system changed.

I don't think anyone with more then half a brain cell sees the patent situation as working as intended. Being a successful lawyer naturally means you have the skill to believe one thing but say another.

When large amounts of money is on the table, even good people will do bad things to get it. And as long as there is money to be made (especially for lawyers), it will be hard to change things.

nrs
August 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Their influence in the government and justice sectors is yet to fade. And like I said, feeding each other their bitter medicine isn't gonna make them realise it's ineffectiveness, but make them do it more.
I don't think your argument makes any sense. If you have a weapon that is uncontrollable and is just as likely explode in your face as it is the enemies, the logical response to discontinue to it.

Merk42
August 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think your argument makes any sense. If you have a weapon that is uncontrollable and is just as likely explode in your face as it is the enemies, the logical response to discontinue to it.Ever heard of an arms race between countries?

fatality_uk
August 28th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Having skimmed through the document
Case 2:10-cv-01385 Document 1 Filed 08/27/10 Page 1 of 15 it's pretty clear that none of the claims have any validity.

Yahoo is liable for infringing the ’314 patent under 35 U.S.C. § 271 by making, using, offering, providing, and encouraging customers to use products that display information in a way that occupies the peripheral attention of the user as claimed in the patent.

If this spends more than 30 seconds in court then quite frankly, the world has gone bonkers!!!

KiwiNZ
August 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Having skimmed through the document it's pretty clear that none of the claims have any validity.

If this spends more than 30 seconds in court then quite frankly, the world has gone bonkers!!!

Goal

Four words "Out of Court settlements"

orlox
August 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Publicly, at least google isn't in favor of it:

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2009/03/patent-reform-needed-more-than-ever.html

Google belongs to a coalition that pretends to promote patent reform,

http://www.patentfairness.org/

Funny thing though, Apple, Microsoft and Oracle are in the same coalition...

nrs
August 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Ever heard of an arms race between countries?
They've already been engaged in an arm race for decades, this isn't some new phenomena. They've amassed thousands and thousands of patents.

Presto123
August 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM
"This lawsuit against some of America's most innovative companies reflects an unfortunate trend of people trying to compete in the courtroom instead of the marketplace," a Google spokesman said.

I wholly agree with this statement.

Merk42
August 29th, 2010, 12:21 AM
They've already been engaged in an arm race for decades, this isn't some new phenomena. They've amassed thousands and thousands of patents.
Oh I know, I'm just saying the thought process isn't:
"oh FOO is dangerous, we need to get rid of FOO"
it's:
"oh FOO is dangerous, we need to make sure we have more FOO than the other guys"

nrs
August 29th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Oh I know, I'm just saying the thought process isn't:
"oh FOO is dangerous, we need to get rid of FOO"
it's:
"oh FOO is dangerous, we need to make sure we have more FOO than the other guys"
It is, currently, yes. I suspect if they move from stockpiling to throwing all they have at each other there'll be a change in attitude though.

That's what a rational player would do, and corporations are some of the most coldly rational animals there are.

phrostbyte
August 29th, 2010, 01:33 AM

Google only has ~200 software patents, that makes it somewhat harder for them to retaliate in patent lawsuits. They'll get there eventually though. Even Red Hat has a stockpile.

The ones that will really hurt in this system (ironically) is the innovative startup companies who don't have enough time to gather enough patents. I think stealth mode startups will end up being much more common unless the patent system is fixed.

mkendall
August 29th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Yet.