PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to hide grub after removing Windows from dual-boot config

potatan
August 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu in dual boot with XP on a friend's netbook. She's happy to stick with Ubuntu, so now I want to remove all traces of XP including the grub stuff. I can delete the XP partition and resize Ubuntu, but what do I need to do with Grub, to:

1. remove the option to select Windows
2. remove the text-based boot completely so the machine boots straight into Ubuntu without any of the "scary" text-based menus

As it's 10.04, I'm not familiar with Grub2 to try this unaided, and all the searches I perform seem to return results to do with getting rid of grub completely.

Thanks in advance

p.s. the automated transfer of files and settings from Windows was excellent - it included favourites and windows desktop wallpaper, I was pleasantly surprised having never used it before

Rubi1200
August 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu in dual boot with XP on a friend's netbook. She's happy to stick with Ubuntu, so now I want to remove all traces of XP including the grub stuff. I can delete the XP partition and resize Ubuntu, but what do I need to do with Grub, to:

1. remove the option to select Windows
2. remove the text-based boot completely so the machine boots straight into Ubuntu without any of the "scary" text-based menus

As it's 10.04, I'm not familiar with Grub2 to try this unaided, and all the searches I perform seem to return results to do with getting rid of grub completely.

Thanks in advance

p.s. the automated transfer of files and settings from Windows was excellent - it included favourites and windows desktop wallpaper, I was pleasantly surprised having never used it before

1. remove XP and run
sudo update-grub the option will be gone

2. from the tutorial by drs305:

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 [ Note: This setting only applies to computers with only a single operating system. ]The hidden timeout option allows a screen to be displayed without the Grub 2 menu, awaiting input from the user for a given number of seconds. It is available to single-OS computers - if multiple OS's are known to Grub 2, this option is bypassed.
On single-OS computers:

The menu will be hidden unless the user adds a # symbol to the beginning of this line ( # GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 ) and the GRUB_TIMEOUT value is greater than 0.
If a background image is designated in 05_debian_theme it will be displayed rather than a blank screen during a hidden menu timeout.
For integers greater than 0:

The system will pause without displaying a menu for the designated number of seconds. If the user does not press the SHIFT key during the timeout the system will then boot the default OS/kernel.
If the user presses the SHIFT key to display the menu, the menu will be displayed for the number of seconds designated by the GRUB_TIMEOUT value unless the user again intervenes.

With a value of 0:

Unless the user intervenes, the system will boot the default OS/kernel with only a slight delay. No menu will be displayed.
The user may force displaying the menu as the computer boots by holding down the SHIFT key.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

You can edit this:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub and find that line and set the integer to whatever you want.
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

potatan
August 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Actually - there seems to be no (easy) way to recover the partition allocated to XP. I have deleted it, but the Ubuntu EXT3 and swap partitions are part of an extended logical drive, so I can't resize them to use the freed up XP space that I deleted with gparted.

Any ideas?

oldfred
August 28th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I do not like moving partitions left as you have to copy & verify the entire thing. Ofter very slow. But you can move the extended left then move the linux partition left.

But I would just use the old XP partition as /home or just as a data partition.

Partitioning basics with some info on /data older but still relevant
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018&highlight=separate+%2Fdata+partition
You do not have to have multi boot to have a data partition:
How to Multi-boot (Maintain more then 2 OS) old grub
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=724817