PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 No Internet CLI only

rpete
August 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hi, I have had few problems up until now with my Hardy Heron 8.04 system. I was notified of the upgrade and decided to do it yesterday. When it didn't work, I posted last night and today couldn't locate the post even searching my posts. When I boot the computer I end up with this on the black screen: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS dell desktop tty1

I login with user and password and have this:

richard@dell_desktop:~$

Now what? I have no Internet connection. I noticed in some error messages during the upgrade that python is not working. I can't even shut down the computer. I disconnect it from AC power and pull out the battery!

I don't know any commands, really.

Will it damage my files if I just reinstall 8.04 from a CD? I am reluctant to do this because I am afraid all my files will not be available. Better still if I can type in the appropriate commands to 1)get my Internet connection working again, and 2)return my screen to a graphical user interface where I can access system and administration, repository,etc.

One message I got that may be relevant is: /usr/bin/dpkg returned on error code (1)

Richard

zvacet
August 30th, 2010, 01:00 AM
One message I got that may be relevant is: /usr/bin/dpkg returned on error code (1)

Try with

sudo dpkg --configure -a

zvacet
August 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM
When you login in tty you can also try

startx

to back in graphic environment.