PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing uBuntu on Macbook

adam_himself
August 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hey guys,

I have searched around but haven't found much of an answer to my problem.

here are my stats for future reference:
Macbook 3rd gen (3.1) with 10.5 OS X (Leopard). 1GB RAM, 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 25 GB free space... Pretty standard Macbook about 2 years ago...

I have read through all the public documentation on the uBuntu website and nothing seems to address my specific problem. I have created 2 Live CDs. I made one with Windows 7 disc imager and another with Infra Recorder. I am no "noob" to burning disc images, so I am certain its correct. Everything appears correct and the disc is fine when viewing in Windows. But, when I put it into my Macbook it gives some error about it, so I think I will just restart.

I restart, and hold option. The drive selector comes up. I sit and wait and wait... no disc shows up. So, I test out my CDRom to make sure its working right with my Mac OS X install CD. It works just fine and the CD shows up on holding option.

So, I try using Bootcamp Assistant to see if that will do me any good (at this point I could live without Mac OS X) and it sits there forever checking the drive, then gives me some error about the journal on the HD and I need to use Disk Utility. So I used Disk Utility and check for HD errors and verify. Everything seems fine and legit. It still gives me hell in Bootcamp.

So, right now I am making a partition in Disk Utility to see if that will do me any good. Its been about 15 mins stuck on "Modifying Partition Map" and hasn't done much else.

Though, I have a feeling that isn't going to make much of a difference since it can't seem to recognize my disc at boot.

Please help!

adam_himself
August 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
just installed rEFit and still can't seem to get it show up. You can hear it scanning, but it never shows.

rEFit works, and shows up at boot, but no boot from CD shows.

adam_himself
August 27th, 2010, 03:41 PM
So, like I previously said I burned 2 copies. One I made using the Netbook edition of uBuntu and I imaged via Windows 7. The other was the regular 32bit desktop edition which I imaged via Infra Recorder. The Netbook one didn't even get recognized.

The Desktop version gets recognized, but as a blank CD. I freaked out and thought maybe it didn't burn properly. So, I put the CD in my work computer just to make sure... and guess what... it burned perfectly. So, now, Mac OS X is reporting it as blank... wtf?