PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System freezes on boot up in 10.04

Goldpin
August 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I’m running desktop dual boot system with two hard drives, one with Windows XP and the other with Ubuntu. I’ve had no problems with this until now when I upgraded from Hardy to Lucid. Now I have problems with the system freezing on boot up.

Sometimes it will boot just fine, and at other times it will freeze before the login screen appears. When it does freeze, there are flashing lights on the keyboard and the floppy disk light (yes, it’s an old computer) is lit constantly. The only thing I can do is switch the computer off and hope it will boot up properly the next time.

When I did the upgrade there were a couple of files where the program asked if I wanted to keep the custom file or overwrite it with the maintainer’s file and I chose to keep the custom one. I THINK one of them might have been GRUB, but I’m not sure.

Has anyone had a similar experience and were you able to cure it? I have seen a thread where people have had the system freeze on them, but I’m not sure its QUITE the same thing.

I’ve also done a clean install with Lucid on my laptop and have had no problems. The laptop is only running Ubuntu.

I’m also wondering if reinstalling Grub on my desktop would solve the problem.

a. If so, would it still show both operating systems?

b. How do you do it?

mörgæs
August 29th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Does it work well if booted with a 10.04.1 live CD?

Goldpin
August 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Had to take the bull by the horns. I was able to get the most important stuff saved elsewhere and then reinstalled Lucid. Seems to work ok now.