PDA

View Full Version : My boss asked me to install windows on a mac

Derek Djons
April 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Yes it's true,

The most of you have heared the news by now. It's possibile to run Windows on a Mac without the use of emulating technology. Microsoft can run native on an iMac, Mac Mini or Macbook Pro.
At the Apple Centre where I work the opinions are diveded. My boss and I don't like the idea of offering the ability to install Windows on a Mac but not deliver the support. But other co-workers find Boot Camp a solution. When Virtual PC fails and a customer still prefers a Mac, Boot Camp comes to the rescue.

After having several customers in the shop, asking if we had Windows running on a Mac my boss decided to do it. We're going to install Windows on a Mac.

My main reason against Apple providing this tools are:

1. The application and use of Windows are not supported.
It's very easy to sell a product and don't support it. A lot of people know they don't have to call Microsoft when there are issues. 9 out of 10 times you are always being redirected to your local supplier.

2. Windows users are not the brightest ones.
What are people expecting? Today one of the customer tought that he would benefit from all Apple's / Mac OS X features related to security and reliability while using Windows. Yes... you're reading it right! Come on... please don't tell me more of such people will be bitchin' upcoming week.
But let's get more in depth with the normal Windows XP user. These users don't know how protect and setup Windows XP, viruscanner and spyware software. Let stand maintaining it. Windows asks more knowledge, time and interest to keep it all working and updated than Linux and Mac OS X.

3. From a salesman point of view.
Okay, the chance exists that Apple Centre's and stores will be selling more macs. But as some of you may know. A Mac hardly brings any profit into the company. It's all about selling those extra's. And thus follows the point... are we going to sell Windows AntiVirus software, Office software for Windows and etc. And again, are we going to support it?

These are the most important reasons why I don't fancy Apple accepting Windows on it's machines. After four years of Windows horror (working in several computer shops) it catches up again.

K.Mandla
April 6th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Personally I bristle at the idea of putting Windows on Mac hardware. I can't see how that's an improvement, although I understand that folks prefer one over the other. And in my opinion, putting Windows on Mac hardware kind of makes the price tag rather pointless.

But if it were me, I'd go ahead and do it. Why not? Let someone buy a WinMac and see how badly it goes for them. They'll get all the viruses and spyware they always had, then stomp back into the store to complain. It'll be a learning experience for all involved. :)

NeghVar
April 6th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Let someone buy a WinMac and see how badly it goes for them. They'll get all the viruses and spyware they always had, then stomp back into the store to complain. It'll be a learning experience for all involved

Oh yes, we all want 'learning experiences' like that... Obvious you have never had to deal with an upset customer who makes outrages demands...

K.Mandla
April 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Oh yes, we all want 'learning experiences' like that... Obvious you have never had to deal with an upset customer who makes outrages demands...
Yes, I have. I was being sarcastic. Sorry it wasn't obvious enough.

NeghVar
April 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Yes, I have. I was being sarcastic. Sorry it wasn't obvious enough.

Ahh ok, sorry for jumpin on ya there. Just I do know alot of people that have fun flipping out at clerks and such.

K.Mandla
April 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM
That's okay. I've definitely lived that nightmare. And really, I shouldn't try to be sarcastic in text. Cheers.

rfruth
April 6th, 2006, 10:51 PM
So is virtualization (al la Virtual PC) preferred to dual booting for light duty apps ? I ask so I'll know :rolleyes:

erthian
April 7th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Personally I bristle at the idea of putting Windows on Mac hardware. I can't see how that's an improvement, although I understand that folks prefer one over the other. And in my opinion, putting Windows on Mac hardware kind of makes the price tag rather pointless.

But if it were me, I'd go ahead and do it. Why not? Let someone buy a WinMac and see how badly it goes for them. They'll get all the viruses and spyware they always had, then stomp back into the store to complain. It'll be a learning experience for all involved. :)

Its not that its an improvement, per say, but if the applications that you need to run are windows only (sadly) you have two options, emulate, or switch. Yea, I wish that all apps were made for linux first, then OSX and then windows, but lets face it, Windows has, what.. like 80 percent of all users or some thing?

The bottom line is that even though I run linux only, and have for a long time, I still use Wine to run a few windows apps that I cant find a good replacement for. I am even getting more into programming to try and help create replacements for these apps, but believe me, its not easy.

As far as a learning experience goes, I don't think there will be one. Tons of people use windows, it crashes, explodes, deomons fly out and posses their children and rack up the long distance bill, but people STILL continue to use windows. I just don't think people see that there is an alternative out there. Its like they call MS tech support and they are like "You're screwed.. what are you gonna do, use LINUX. Hahahahaahahaha".

I work in tech support, and I have had this grand experience over and over with people complaining about windows, but refuse to go Mac or Linux. You just have to look at it from other peoples eyes. I always see 'I cant understand why so and so wants to put Windows on their mac' or other Mac related fanisms, but I think if people really stopped to look at it from the other person's point of view, they would understand why.

htinn
April 7th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Apple is still in the *hardware* business, so for them it makes sense. I don't blame them a bit.

Now, anyone who's had the Micro$oft experience and returns to it anyway... That's just pathetic.

NeghVar
April 7th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I think what alot of people think is that with the stability of a mac it will sort of transfer over, alot of people don't realise that macs are generally stable because they are made specificaly for that hardware. Unfortunatly we will see people who buy windows on a mac and expect to get the mac style of security, and stability on there that they just can't possibly find.

Virogenesis
April 7th, 2006, 02:57 AM
this should stolve the problem of running games on mac

newbie2
April 7th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Blue screen of death hits Apple Mac
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30827
http://www.dealcatcher.com/forums/m_402248/tm.htm
:rolleyes:

Derek Djons
April 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Blue screen of death hits Apple Mac
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30827
http://www.dealcatcher.com/forums/m_402248/tm.htm
:rolleyes:

Oh God,

I see it all coming. Loads of people bringing in their Macs saying:

"Yeah, I know for sure something is wrong with the Hardware. Because I've tried everything to install Windows but it still doesn't works. So it must be hardware."

http://images.dealcatcher.com/products/1stbluescreen.jpg

BoyOfDestiny
April 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM
As for computer users, there are some people that just use it to get work done. They don't bother to learn what's going on underneath. This applies to users of just about any OS.

Anyway, that aside, the difference is macs no longer fall into the "think different" category for their desktop machines. It's just a PC (in the ibm pc compatible sense) with efi instead of a BIOS. Based on the same architecture many many people have been using since the 1980's (x86).

Windows has a tremendous market share, this may help sell boxes (knowing it can run windows too), but they are going to run into the same problems that windows brings. Plus dual-booting, I'm not sure how many users are used to it... When I did that, I hardly switched OS's... It's better to just use the OS you want to switch to (IMHO).

What I think would have been smarter, is work on WINE technology. Granted windows software (including malware) could run (but not be as damaging to the whole system). I think it would be a good selling point knowing some windows software is compatible. Leave the dual booting for the more technical users that for some reason really need this... MS tax + Apple tax... Bah.

angkor
April 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I feel your pain man :). I personally don't think Apple is making a smart move.

Let stand maintaining it.

You dutchie! ;)

Mr_J_
April 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I say that if Apple wants people to use windows on a mac that's fine.
The people go into a store to purchase a MacIntel with windows as a dual boot. That's fine.
They want anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, office, Image edit app, etc.
Fine! We will install and make it all run.

They want support...
That's another matter entirely. You now must pay an extra insurance to get Windows support on a Mac store. Special support fee.
No extra pay... No windows support...

I use linux. No pay and I'm my own support.
It has it's drawbacks, and it's benefits. Like everything.

Where I live most problems are a language barrier. People are not stupid in general, they just don't understand english. Many of them have little to no computer related education.

That idiocy about windows being the easiest thing to use is a lie, and most people that say that use windows for years. It's second nature to them. I know I am one of them.

I'd like to try a Mac out one day, but I don't expect Windows support for it.

bjweeks
April 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
That idiocy about windows being the easiest thing to use is a lie, and most people that say that use windows for years. It's second nature to them. I know I am one of them.

I say your wrong. In windows it is easy to in software and get tons of viri. It's all easy to get your whole computer taken over. It come pre-installed, so easy. I don't see how it's not easy

Mr_J_
April 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I think I understood your post, but there is a language barrier here so I'll try to do it my best.

Windows is made like the walls in Hollywood movies. It's mostly paper.
Windows also has almost all of the market.
That means many users, and hordes of computer geeks having fun with it.
Some of those geeks will be vengefull and seek to make viruses.

Ignorant users will catch them as they have little to no knowledge of their surroundings.

The internet is like the woods. There's more about an old cripled tree that meets the untrained eye.

Windows doesn't have virii installed from the start it's just badly made and being hit from all sides.

Windows users need to be taught to use Windows. Otherwise they are just going to fall into the same traps as before.

I admit windows is crap, but if people want crap then give them crap!
It's a free market.

bjweeks
April 7th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I admit windows is crap, but if people want crap then give them crap!
It's a free market.

I admit linux is crap, but if people want crap then give them crap!
It's a free market.

That statment is true also.

I use windows all day, every day and for me it is fast, stable, easy, and secure. I also use linux and have no problems. There are MANY things linux can't do and the same for windows. So calling windows "crap" is just wrong, but to each his own.

Mr_J_
April 7th, 2006, 07:38 PM
In an environment with people who know what they are doing, and a well informed system administrator windows is a very good OS.

The problem with windows is poorly informed users.

There are too many problems MSFT hasn't fixed with windows for it to be a good all around OS.
I'm not saying they take too long in fixing them, or any other bashing sort of reason. There are just too many people hunting down the ignorant, and windows has too many ignorant. Linux will get the same problems if it gets to where windows is, but it is harder to do in linux.

The problems are everywhere, but if you know how to look you can avoid them.

bjweeks
April 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Yes, cause linux is TO HARD for the ignorant to run by themselvs. If I was running a network no way in hell would I run windows just to easy to *** up but linux is perfect because the user doesn't have to install or update anything they jsut use it.

Derek Djons
April 8th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Well, I had a fun day installing Windows on a Macbook Pro. Windows XP runs as a sunshine on the Macbook Pro. But the funpart is coming up. Since it's still all beta Windows flipped when we tried to use the iSight camera and a bluescreen of death appeared.

Check the photo's

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/derekdjons/f996d9b8.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/derekdjons/260b4e85.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/derekdjons/29e18e38.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/derekdjons/34da8494.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/derekdjons/fc744701.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/derekdjons/e3c882a7.jpg

christhemonkey
April 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Haha, nicely done!