PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Warnings about updating 10.04

CShaum
August 27th, 2010, 03:36 AM
My computer gives me a warning about updating. Linux headers 2.6.32-24 and Linux headers 2.6.32-24 generic and Linux image 2.6.32-24 and Linux-libc-dev Can anyone tell me if these are safe to update? It tell me not authenticated. I hate to see my computer turn upside down when it run so nice. Thanks

oldos2er
August 27th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Can you run
sudo apt-key update in a terminal, and if there are any errors please post the output here.

CShaum
August 28th, 2010, 03:20 AM
This what the terminal told me, it all greek to me:
gpg: key 437D05B5: "Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>" not changed
gpg: key FBB75451: "Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key <cdimage@ubuntu.com>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 2
gpg: unchanged: 2

Any input??

AlphaLexman
August 28th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Look at:

man apt-key

wojox
August 28th, 2010, 03:26 AM
When you upgrade you will still have access to the kernel your running now to fall back on.

That's what I'm using on two different computers and everything is running fine here.

CShaum
August 28th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I typed the suggested man apt-key. I got lost what to do? You going to have to explain a bit more I'm lost. Sorry, somewhat a newbie Still learning this linux thing.

AlphaLexman
August 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM
There are 'sources' you can get software from. The parent company of ubuntu is Canonical, they provide many programs and updates. Sometimes, users will build software or update it before it becomes 'mainstream', these are often called beta-packages. These packages are not 100% ready for public use, but usually work for the majority of users (there is always exceptions). Programmers often put their work on the internet for people to test, this is usually done via a 'PPA' (personal package archive)

You will need to install a password 'key' for each PPA you add to your /etc/apt/sources.list

The key should be found on the same web-page the 'source' file was downloaded from.

oldos2er
August 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
CShaum, can you run sudo apt-get update and post the output here?

CShaum
August 29th, 2010, 04:48 AM
That's what I did last night. Did the get-apt update command to see what would happen. And sure enough it detected the very one that it was warning about. I launch off and updated and so far so it has been good. Apparently they can be trusted. Computer even booted a touch faster. :-)