PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Mac for video editing?

TheNerdAL
August 27th, 2010, 02:07 AM
So I want to make videos and movies and stuff like that and would like to edit it. Should I get a Mac for that or can Ubuntu do it too?

KiwiNZ
August 27th, 2010, 02:12 AM
If that is all you want to do and as a hobby then no. Not worth the cost.

Zzl1xndd
August 27th, 2010, 02:13 AM
So I want to make videos and movies and stuff like that and would like to edit it. Should I get a Mac for that or can Ubuntu do it too?

Ubuntu is able to do it, that being said iMovie has some really nice features. I would probably find someone with a Mac and play around with it a bit and see how you feel about it and the software.

And of course try some of the Video Editing stuff on Ubuntu (and maybe even windows if you can stand it)

TheNerdAL
August 27th, 2010, 02:15 AM

Not as a hobby no, for like my career.

KiwiNZ
August 27th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Not as a hobby no, for like my career.

I thought you were still at school ?

TheNerdAL
August 27th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I thought you were still at school ?

I am but I Want to start early. :D

KiwiNZ
August 27th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I am but I Want to start early. :D

To be honest it would be a waste , by the time you get to work thing will have changed considerably.
Does your school offer courses? if so do they supply the hardware in class?

If you intend to follow that path as a professional you will need to do tertiary training and you will need to research the gear you need then not now.

To be honest concentrate on your current studies , pass them or you wont be able to do the next step.

Cam42
August 27th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Final Cut is the best video editor out there. /discussion

LMP900
August 27th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Unless you're ready to start making money now, it would not be a wise investment. You can learn the fundamentals of video editing by reading books and online articles and practicing with free tools available. Once you master a few skills and you're off to a university, they will likely have several powerful machines available for you to use as part of your education.

If you really want a Mac, buy one when you're ready to replace your current machine. Don't buy one in haste just because you'd like to have a start on video editing now.

TheNerdAL
August 27th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Unless you're ready to start making money now, it would not be a wise investment. You can learn the fundamentals of video editing by reading books and online articles and practicing with free tools available. Once you master a few skills and you're off to a university, they will likely have several powerful machines available for you to use as part of your education.

If you really want a Mac, buy one when you're ready to replace your current machine. Don't buy one in haste just because you'd like to have a start on video editing now.

Well my current computer is getting a bit old now.

Sef
August 27th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Well my current computer is getting a bit old now.

How old is old?

Zorgoth
August 27th, 2010, 04:42 AM
For a price difference of $500 over equivalent hardware? Not until you are working professionally or if your university advises it, or something of that nature, if at that point the same tools remain on top. For now, practice with the free tools available to you in Ubuntu.

If you are planning to replace your computer, consider what portion of the lifetime of that Mac you will *need* it for your education - buying an lower cost PC now might be the difference between buying one and two Macs while still in school, before you start earning real money.

What level hardware are you talking about, and are you talking about a desktop or laptop system, how much money do you have, and in the worst case scenario how much money are you going to need to complete your education and still have a but of money left over? If you are talking about low-end Apple hardware, then it is so over-priced it isn't even funny. I don't know what you strictly need for video editing though. The higher-end Macs are better value, particularly since they are very well-built, but that depends on whether you would actually utilize the full power of the hardware.

Linye
August 27th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Don't get caught in the hype.

JamesHayek
August 27th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Macs are too expensive... (I'm actually on one now but that's only because it was given to me for work unpaid) And trust me, iMovie stinks like Pepe Le Pu. It's okay as a starter program but nothing special. Final Cut is however a good program.

For quick painless video editing you need a qualified CAD card. Mac doesn't offer a fair price for a NVIDIA Quadro, the one card you want. Go with a custom built PC running Windows or better yet a Linux distro.

As far as I know, Smoke works well with Linux and it is a GREAT program.

Smoke for Linux URL (http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/discreet-ships-smoke-6-intel-based-ibm-t2047.html?)

Blender is also a nice option. It was made by the programmers of 3D Max (just a rant, Maya is better then Max any day) Blender is open source and also handles video editing in addition to 3D but it is mainly known as a very fast modeler.

Personally, I say use Smoke. It competes VERY well and for an AutoDesk product it has a great interface.

Most production companies use Avid, Premiere with After Effect or Final Cut. However, Smoke is turning allot of heads in the industry.

Hope this helps.

Madspyman
August 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
There are video editing apps in Ubuntu, Openshot, and Blender are the only two I've really tried extensively.

I love Blender's sequence editor for video editing and it's compositor for vfx, if you take the time to learn it you'll find it's defiantly capable of covering all the basics and then some.

Here's a quick 5 sec clip from a green screen short film project I'm working on (html5 link).

http://limitedcell.com/vid

I'm using Blender for the compositing and editing. The background is a temporary one done in Gimp, as I'm still currently putting together the final background using both Blender and Gimp.

Video editing is capable using both Ubuntu and open source software. You just need to find the editing software you feel comfortable using, and learn as much as possible about it.

andras artois
August 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Final Cut Pro is the video editor you'll be using if you actually get into the industry. It's the best one and the most used by people who actually put stuff onto TV.

If you have absolutely amazing qualifications then you'll be slightly more likely to get a job with them but the industry prefers experience and you will most likely have to do horrible, boring, mind numbing work before landing a decent job.

At the moment I would look for general video editing courses that are using FCP or Adobe Premiere or preferably both. Adobe Premiere is fairly used as well but not as much as FCP.

While you're at school look for some unpaid work just helping out with a bit of video editing. Tell them you're hoping to get into once you're done at school etc etc and tell them what the course is you're doing.

It's not worth buying a mac at the moment unless you do have the spare grand and a half lying around. Just wait till after school when having your own will actually be beneficial.

blueturtl
August 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Video editing is where Macs excel. You can use Ubuntu for it, but this is a question of head ache vs. money. There's no question the apps available for Mac OS like iMovie or Final Cut are leaps and bounds better than what you can get in Ubuntu, but they do come at a cost.

Is the superior and easier solution worth the money? I'd say if you're looking to be a pro, yes. If you just want to edit home movies or do simple flicks, then Ubuntu should suffice.

Oppermongo
August 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM
If you want to edit movies, Mac is the best option.
Many members on this forum may claim it can be done in Ubuntu and I believe them, but a software package like finalcut studio offers way more than any other.
problem is the cost, a 'normal' macbook pro already costs close to a 2000 dollar and will still take a long time to process videos...
(in my experience, i own a macbook pro, it takes close to an hour to render a 5min video, so if you're thinking about making a 30 minute video, well you can do the math :))
I'm kind off in the same situation you are, although a few years behind.
A cheaper solution is to build a better desktop using windows or ubuntu and try to get that working well, and invest in a mac pro when you actually have a job in video editing.
A mac capable of rendering in minutes and lasting for at least 5 years will very soon exceed 5000$.
And you don't need to worry about having to change your mac every year, the hardware as it is, should you buy it now, will last long enough to render some profit :)
Anyway, the choice is up to you and if you have the money, it won't be a lost investment, just make sure you will actually need it and lookup some info about video editing in ubuntu first before you buy :)

cprofitt
August 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Final Cut is the best video editor out there. /discussion

I think when you get to Avid, Adobe Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro it comes down to personal choice and what 'features' are more needed by the editor.

Zorgoth
August 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM
If the video editing you are planning to do is graphically intensive, definitely go for Ubuntu or Windows as a student. The only Mac that can handle real graphics is a Mac Pro (the iMac 27" could as well, but the problem with that is probably $800 of that is the cool monitor, which you won't be able to use when the computer gets too old, which it will because it can't be upgraded, whereas the Mac Pro can I believe)

With a PC on the other hand, you're probably talking about more in the range of $1,000-2,000 for a graphics workhorse (depending on what level gfx card/processor/ram you get), whereas a decent Mac Pro is several thousand dollars.

DoubleClicker
August 27th, 2010, 05:07 PM
If the video editing you are planning to do is graphically intensive, definitely go for Ubuntu or Windows as a student. The only Mac that can handle real graphics is a Mac Pro (the iMac 27" could as well, but the problem with that is probably $800 of that is the cool monitor, which you won't be able to use when the computer gets too old, which it will because it can't be upgraded, whereas the Mac Pro can I believe)

Actually you can still use the monitor when you upgrade. The iMac 27" has a 2-way mini-DVI port.
so you can use an external monitor with the iMac or you can use the monitor with an external computer.

I use my imac 27" with both the internal mac computer and an external linux; with a keyboard toggle back and forth.

Now the the original question:
There are a lot of things to consider, and cost should be the least of them.
Both MacOSX and Linux have quality video editing software.

Cinelerra Has a very steep learning curve, but once mastered, can produce quality results, quite effeciently.

Final Cut Pro - is bar none, the best commercial video editing software you can get, it is easy to learn, and can do just about anything you are likely to want to do. One caveat, a master at Cinelerra can probably get the job done quicker than a master at final cut pro.

Now as far as the hardware, the 27" iMac is worth it for the display alone. I've looked at many of the larger displays, and none of the displays under $1000 come close to the image quality.
So if you look at it that way you are paying 1000 for the the display and $700 for the computer.

However, for about $600 you could get a good quality 24" monitor, and for $200 you can get a reasonably decent 24 inch monitor, and you could probably get a decent PC for under $500

So the question you have to ask yourself, is whether you want to jump in at the low end, and work your way up, or jump in at the high end, and be ready for serious business.

If I were still doing video editing, and had to buy new equipment, I would buy a 27" imac and final cut pro 7. My life would have been much easier, if those were available way back when I worked in video production.

Zorgoth
August 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
That's really good to know! Everywhere I looked said it was impossible. Now I wish I had $2,000 lying around... Well, I do, but I wish I had $2,000 I could spend without being a nitwit.

Agreed that it's worth it for the display it's worth at least 800-1000 dollars. The other components make up a decent 1,000-1,400 dollar PC, plus its small. The only situation where it becomes not worth it is if you need 16 GB of memory, but that shouldn't be a problem doing video editing, and this way you can get a (high-end) 27" iMac as your first video editing machine (still a big investment), and then probably it will last you until you can upgrade to the Mac Pro, and when you do, you can use the iMac as a display.

Zorgoth
August 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Now as far as the hardware, the 27" iMac is worth it for the display alone. I've looked at many of the larger displays, and none of the displays under $1000 come close to the image quality.
So if you look at it that way you are paying 1000 for the the display and $200 for the computer.

Actually the iMac 27" starts at 1700$, and the smaller one is not worth it. I would get the $2,000 one because it has 1GB of VRAM instead of 512MB. The video card should work with OS X and Ubuntu I believe so you should be able to dual boot with bot camp. I don't know what memory and CPU usage are like for the work you're doing, so I can't advise. Personally I'd get 8GB 1333 MHz memory and the 2.93 GHz CPU (400 and 200 dollars respectively), but that is for my purposes (scientific programming and gaming), not yours.

Don't bother with AppleCare for a desktop.

oldsoundguy
August 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
most pro editing shops I have run across use Atari computers .. so they can run Video Toaster. But been out of the loop for several years, and that MAY have changed.

ILM used Silicon Graphics computers and Sun Workstations back when I did some work for them.

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM

+1

Mac for video and music is just a bunch of hype and a peer pressure, popularity contest.

Buy a Windows computer for much cheaper and buy Sony Vegas. It's professional, easy to use, and just as good as Final Cut. The only reason people use Macs over Windows computers for video is because that's what is popular, not because it's really that much better.

If you're going professional, no matter what you do, you're going to have to spend money. But the Windows/Vegas route is much cheaper.

Zorgoth
August 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I can't judge forestcupp's analysis of video editing technology, but as we mentioned, IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON GETTING A HIGH-END DISPLAY, the value on the display in the iMac actually brings it down to PC-level prices. Plus in my experience Mac is more Ubuntu-compatible than Windows (well, it would be, they're both UNIX). Plus they both have bash scripting. I would go for an 27" iMac personally.

One thing that is true is that with a PC you will have the option to get a better graphics card than the ATI 5670, but that is a pretty powerful card in any case.

Sporkman
August 27th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Plus in my experience Mac is more Ubuntu-compatible than Windows (well, it would be, they're both UNIX).

Yes - when you buy a mac, you get a solid unix OS on good-quality hardware, and furthermore that OS is custom-tailored to that hardware, so everything (suspend, wireless, all the special function buttons, etc) works right.

Zorgoth
August 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Although if you know what you're doing you could say the same thing about a byopc. But on top of that if you want a $1,000 monitor, it will save you money but not a huge amount.

Cam42
August 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I think when you get to Avid, Adobe Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro it comes down to personal choice and what 'features' are more needed by the editor.

Sure. and my personal choice is Final Cut.

;)

lisati
August 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Agreed.

For various reasons, I haven't delved too much into the offerings available for Ubuntu, and things might have changed since I last looked into it.

My current laptop (which is nearly 2 years old) does me well for basic editing and short bursts of cpu-intensive post-production fix-ups. Even the copy of Windows Movie Maker that came installed on it with Vista seems to be marginally better at some things than its counterpart on the copy of XP I used to use on my desktop. (Before anyone jumps in: NO! I don't regularly use Windows Movie Maker!)

stmiller
August 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM
It's not 'hype' when it comes to video editing. As other have said, Final Cut and also Avid software is used for everything from independent documentaries, to the show 24 on Fox, etc.

In Los Angeles, job listings usually say: Final Cut editors and Avid editors wanted.

If you are looking for serious video work / career sort of stuff, you obviously need to learn the OS and software used in that career field.

If you just want to mess around for fun, it's probably not worth the money. Or perhaps just hackintosh? :)

DoubleClicker
August 28th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Actually the iMac 27" starts at 1700$, and the smaller one is not worth it. I would get the $2,000 one because it has 1GB of VRAM instead of 512MB. The video card should work with OS X and Ubuntu I believe so you should be able to dual boot with bot camp. I don't know what memory and CPU usage are like for the work you're doing, so I can't advise. Personally I'd get 8GB 1333 MHz memory and the 2.93 GHz CPU (400 and 200 dollars respectively), but that is for my purposes (scientific programming and gaming), not yours.

Don't bother with AppleCare for a desktop.

OOPS sorry., I was quoting from the wrong price list, the price I quoted is not available to the general public..

So, subtract $1000 for the display and you have a $700 computer. I 'll edit my original post.

kaldor
August 28th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Some big movies were produced on Linux machines...

Pirates of the Caribean or LoTR, anyone?

Madspyman
August 28th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Some big movies were produced on Linux machines...

Pirates of the Caribean or LoTR, anyone?

Not to mention Avatar or most of the stuff from Weta Digital, problem is they use proprietary Linux ports of software like Nuke, Shake, or Houdini that often costs anywhere from $3000 and up per program. Where they save money is not having to pay win/mac licencing fees, something an average consumer doesn't have to worry about.

BrokenKingpin
August 28th, 2010, 04:14 AM
No, Macs suck.

mamamia88
August 28th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Not to mention Avatar or most of the stuff from Weta Digital, problem is they use proprietary Linux ports of software like Nuke, Shake, or Houdini that often costs anywhere from $3000 and up per program. Where they save money is not having to pay win/mac licencing fees, something an average consumer doesn't have to worry about.
sure but if you can afford $3000 for special software surely you can afford $200 for windows. can't they find cheaper software on windows? isn't vegas like $200 or something?

Groucho Marxist
August 28th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Agreed; It depends upon the goal of the end user. Simply owning a Mac and a copy of Final Cut Pro/Express may be okay in some situations, but professionally, Macs running FCP/E are not the best of the best if a person is looking for professional level quality and control.

AVID systems running on UNIX/Unix-like environments are generally used for broadcast/film production. However, the costs are mind-numbing due to the unfortunately proprietary aspects of AVID which have yet to be duplicated in FOSS projects.

Madspyman
August 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM
sure but if you can afford $3000 for special software surely you can afford $200 for windows. can't they find cheaper software on windows? isn't vegas like $200 or something?

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Penguin-Moves-to-Disney/

According to this article from 2003 about when Disney switched to Linux.

Disney, along with two other motion picture animation studios (which declined to be named for this article), decided to jointly fund the development of a Windows-to-Linux porting solution. The idea: develop technology using the Wine emulator to run Adobe Photoshop on Linux...The project has paid off tremendously for Disney this year alone. Development of the porting solution, including site licenses, cost Disney less than $15,000...Had he opted to run Photoshop on Windows machines, it would have cost upward of $50,000 just in annual licensing fees, said Brooks. He estimates support would have been an additional $40,000 a year.

Also,

Brooks considered dual-booting the workstations with Windows and Linux but found the management to be too expensive and labor-intensive for his four system administrators. He also looked into using VMware Inc.s VMWorkstation but decided against it because it would require purchasing a Windows license and would create performance limitations.

For the uber-pros Linux is a cheaper solution.

3rdalbum
August 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Macintoshes live on hype.

It used to be that typesetting was done entirely on Macintoshes, because the typesetting programs didn't exist on Windows or didn't work as well. Typesetters have gradually learnt that they can do their job just as well on Windows PCs, and now Macintoshes are disappearing from printing shops.

Self-styled "graphic designers", professional artists and video editing professionals are yet to learn that their job can be done just as well on Windows PCs; but when they do they'll leave the Macintosh platform.

ssam
August 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
dont forget the software cost.

if you are lucky there may be a community project in your area that has a video editing setup. i did a couple of community film projects when i was younger. or look for work experience/internship at a local media company.

forrestcupp
August 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
It's not 'hype' when it comes to video editing. As other have said, Final Cut and also Avid software is used for everything from independent documentaries, to the show 24 on Fox, etc.

In Los Angeles, job listings usually say: Final Cut editors and Avid editors wanted.

If you are looking for serious video work / career sort of stuff, you obviously need to learn the OS and software used in that career field.In my opinion, that's the only convincing argument that I could go along with. I don't necessarily think that the software is that much better than what you can do with Sony Vegas. But if you have to know it to get a job, that's a good reason to go that direction.

Vegas is closer to $500, but that's still cheap, and it's awesome software. I like the fact that you can work with Acid loops in Vegas. I have a bunch of Acid loops.