PDA

View Full Version : $112 tax for Ubuntu

jordanthegreat
April 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hello all,

Today I went to collect my Ubuntu cd's from the post office and was hit with a whopping $112 tax for the discs. Apparently the customs officers are not very smart and don't understand the meaning of "FREE software." Anyway, I left the post office to head to the atm to get some cash as I didn't have enough on me at the time but fortunately for me, the atm was not working so I decided to put it off until tomorrow. Man am I glad the atm was not working because I was actually going to pay the tax for those discs. On my drive back to work I came to my senses and realized why on earth would I pay so much money for something I already have (I downloaded Ubuntu long before I received the package). So yea, I am not going back to that place, they can keep the cds.

So now I was wondering, has anyone else here had to pay some sort of tax or fee when they received their free Ubuntu discs and how much did you pay?

Regards,
Jordan

P.s. The "goods" were valued at $160.. Where on earth do they get these prices from.

P.s.s. Sorry Ubuntu for wasting all those copies on me. If I had known this would happen, I would never have ordered them.

K.Mandla
April 6th, 2006, 07:43 PM
NO WAY! Something went wrong there. I didn't pay anything on customs. Where are you at? Are you in the US?

Ubuntuud
April 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I didn't pay a penny... In the Netherlands.

jordanthegreat
April 6th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Oh right. Almost forgot to mention my location. I live in Antigua. Small island in the caribbean. So the $116 is e.c. currency which in usd is $43 usd.

K.Mandla
April 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Yikes. I don't know if you can talk to your postmaster about that. The discs should be free, but if they were labeled with a value by Canonical, that might be where the problem started. Sorry.

jordanthegreat
April 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
EDIT:sorry.. ignore this post.

christhemonkey
April 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM
The company behind our great distro.

K.Mandla
April 6th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Whats Canonical?
http://www.canonical.com/

As I understand it, Canonical is the company that does software support for Ubuntu. I think they also bankroll the professionally pressed CDs. When my discs showed up, the envelope was from Canonical.

Someone can correct me here if I've gotten the Canonical-Ubuntu relationship wrong.

welsh_spud
April 6th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Canonical is the company that runs Ubuntu.

Stormy Eyes
April 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I live in the US, and I didn't pay any tax on my Ubuntu CDs when I ordered a pack of 10.

stoeptegel
April 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I didn't pay a penny in the Netherlands. (okey i did by paypal, but that was my own choice)

Good that you report it, now we can put this country on the shipit blacklist.(do we have one already?)

Kvark
April 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Ubuntu's FAQ (http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq#head-189baa1d5a384ab28b29387ab9517d52ccdc2797) explains the occasional problem with tax on shipit CDs. There has been some threads about this before so it does happen from time to time but it seems to be very rare.