PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I use 7zip after 'installing' it?

benny7440
August 26th, 2010, 11:00 PM
The other day I needed to unrar a downloaded file & discovered that there's no application within Ubuntu to do it (I mean that the live cd doesn't contain it & not that the api does not exists). So, I found it in the packages repository & downloaded it. I thought that I had to reboot the machine for the new api to appear in the context menu after right-clicking over a file; but I was wrong & I have not found a way to start the api before selecting the file either.
I suspect that for doing this I must use the console with root/su/sudo privileges. I'm very newbie with everything that's related to the console commands. In fact, this's the weakest point in my mind/knowledge of linux (any distro). In contrast, I remember being agile with dos!
Can anybody here would throw some light into the subject? It'll be very much appreciated, thanks!

SoFl W
August 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Try right clicking on the file you wish to open and see of 7zip is in the menu. If not choose the "open with..." option and look for the 7zip program.

I have not used 7zip with Linux, I used it under Windows. If I remember correctly under Windows there was a seperate user interface and command line program. Not sure if this is the case with Linux.

tommcd
August 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM
See the section on 7zip here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileCompression
Make sure you have the p7zip-full package installed.
Hope this helps.