PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome or KDE?

Fableflame
August 26th, 2010, 08:43 PM
So far I've only used Gnome, but I haven't been using Ubuntu for long.
What are the differences between Gnome and KDE, which one do you use, and why do you like one over the other?

M4he
August 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
First things first: I'm using Gnome and I like it. It may lack some eye-candy but its reliability is outstanding. I'm usually the one who puts eye-candy over usability but Gnome is an exception. I've tried using Kubuntu. It has a very nice and appealing interface. The design of the windows and decorations are much better and modern than the Gnome ones. But I ran into too much bugs and glitches using KDE on Kubuntu that I had to return to Gnome. The simplicity and slimness of Gnome are its strengths. The panels and their applets keep everything accessible and clean. At first I hated the old-looking interface of Gnome but it's reliability has convinced me now, because everything works as it should. And with the elementary theme and the shiki colors theme a bit of eye-candy reaches even Gnome.
You should also consider that KDE has a different set of applications for each task than Gnome. So there's no Synaptic or Rhythmbox for instance; but other KDE-ones. So if you are used to the Gnome ones it may be difficult to get used to the new ones.

Just my thoughts; choose the one you like!

Lars Noodén
August 26th, 2010, 09:05 PM
You can install and test both and alternate between them.

The full kit for Kubuntu can be installed with the package kubuntu-desktop. Then when you log in, before you enter your password, you can choose which desktop that session will use. You can also try Fluxbox, OpenBox and FVWM-Crystal the same way.

M93
August 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM
You can install and test both and alternate between them.

The full kit for Kubuntu can be installed with the package kubuntu-desktop. Then when you log in, before you enter your password, you can choose which desktop that session will use. You can also try Fluxbox, OpenBox and FVWM-Crystal the same way.

could u plz tell me the name of (Fluxbox, OpenBox and FVWM-Crystal) packages? thnks :)

zadehas
August 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Go with KDE.

I have switched over to Kubuntu for about a year now after using the default Gnome for several years before. For me, KDE is definitely better than Gnome, at least until they release Gnome 3 (although it seems that will be an incremental update, not an actual major version). The only thing I sometime miss from Gnome is the Software Center, which has been getting more attention from Ubuntu developers, but this is a minor issue. Overall, KDE is faster and more stable, with lots of far better aplications (e.g. there's nothing in Gnome that will even remotely compete with Krusader). And more important, it has an evolutionary advantage over Gnome, which seems to be a little stuck as far as the development goes.

Of course they could prove me wrong with Gnome 3, I'll give it a try as soon as it comes out.

xtnsgo
August 27th, 2010, 12:27 AM
KDE is a little busy and flashy for me, and--this is a matter of taste, really--I am not a giant fan of many of the "K" apps. That said, Kdenlive is one of my favorite apps, so i have the KDE libraries installed anyway.

Also, KDE in Kubuntu feels "slapped on", without much integration with all the stuff that seems to make Ubuntu, well, "Ubuntu". If KDE is to your taste, maybe try the OpenSUSE take on it?

KdotJ
August 27th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'm not a fan of KDE at all really. I tried to give it a chance and used it for about a month. Personally I think it looks platic and in some ways very tacky. I hate the default window decorations and I dislike dolphin too...

But this is only my opinion of course. Each to their own..

I am not a giant fan of many of the "K" apps.

Me too... So when I installed KDE on my Ubuntu install, I only installed the kde-minimal package.

beumont2
August 27th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Go with KDE.

I have switched over to Kubuntu for about a year now after using the default Gnome for several years before. For me, KDE is definitely better than Gnome, at least until they release Gnome 3 (although it seems that will be an incremental update, not an actual major version). The only thing I sometime miss from Gnome is the Software Center, which has been getting more attention from Ubuntu developers, but this is a minor issue. Overall, KDE is faster and more stable, with lots of far better aplications (e.g. there's nothing in Gnome that will even remotely compete with Krusader). And more important, it has an evolutionary advantage over Gnome, which seems to be a little stuck as far as the development goes.

Of course they could prove me wrong with Gnome 3, I'll give it a try as soon as it comes out.

Iam using Gnome and I have installed Krusader and I am using it, so I think all the KDE applications are also available for the gnome users.

I even play solitair from windows xp with wine ;)

I am going to try Kubuntu as well but because all major distros uses gnome as its standard desktop it should be more reliable.