PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Office software

gpdas
August 26th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Is there any office software better than openoffice?

thegod_slayer
August 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM
if you are a windows user i would recomend ms office in linux running on wine.
but ooffice is the best.
try open office 3.2.

but ofcourse there are lots of other office suites.
just google it.

Eksra
August 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Well you could always use Gnome Office (Abiword, gnumeric, epiphany, etc.) These are generally faster and lighter weight, but if by "better" you mean "more like M$ Office" then Ooo is pretty darn close - you could always use WINE and actually use M$ Office...

Other choices are Staroffice (if it's still around, I remember it being very "corporate"/"Professional"), I think there's a Koffice for KDE (not sure, I never use KDE. ever.), Lotus-Symphony (if I'm not making things up...) and SoftMaker Office.

Again, it always depends on your own definition of "better." It's why we all use Linux in the first place! You can have whatever you want ;-)

[PS OpenOffice probably has the best compatibility with M$, but I think StarOffice and Lotus Symphony are very professional in their workflow, so check them out]

thegod_slayer
August 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM
well said eksra
iw ould agree with you but as per as my opinion is concerned nothing like Ooo....

it is just the thing.....

an office just for humans......

Eksra
August 26th, 2010, 07:31 PM
well said eksra
iw ould agree with you but as per as my opinion is concerned nothing like Ooo....

it is just the thing.....

an office just for humans......

Have you ever tried StarOffice or Lotus-Symphony though? They're very well put together suites - Downside=!foss - they're still free as in beer, but closed source, if I remember correctly. And I think Solaris still uses StarOffice, so there's support and it's real, but again, I could be wrong - all of this is off the top of my head :lol:

thegod_slayer
August 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
soory dude i haven't actually had the chance to use solaris....
actually i am using a rig of very old config.
i mean i have you change the boot menu every time i change my boot loader from windows to linux
so i hope you can imagine.
but as i already said nothing could satisfy me more than Ooo

TNT1
August 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I use open office. I work in an environment with one Mac user, and the rest windows users. We all use hosted exchange. I only use Ubuntu and OO, and live just fine with sharing stuff and so on. Just do it.

thegod_slayer
August 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I use open office. I work in an environment with one Mac user, and the rest windows users. We all use hosted exchange. I only use Ubuntu and OO, and live just fine with sharing stuff and so on. Just do it.

hahahaha...................

that's the spirit of ubuntu my dear friend.....

hail ubuntu and hail linux...........:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

sxmaxchine
August 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Open office doesn almost everything ms office can do, however i must admit the ms office layout is much more user friendly, but is the user friendly nes worth $100+.

Also there is oracle office. (http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/open-office/index.html)

thegod_slayer
August 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
hey hey........
linux is user friendly but windows nahhhhhh

its ignorant friendly......

everything at the click of the mouse......

no need to know why this is happening how is this happening....... it's just happening

i mean users are getting depended type mentality.....

they are getting i mean adjusted to spoon feeding.......

i am using Ooo for 3 years straight....
and i never had any problem........
or neiether did i face any obstacle.........

my college has intriduced unix and shell programming as a subject in its curriculum but still then my classmates are not ready to
install linux on their systems........... the reason being most of the work on linux is done by command and not by mouse click
ha
what a pity............

Eksra
August 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Personally, I use Ooo and have done so since 2.0/2.4 (around the time of the switch), and I *have* had problems - but only with formatting (like text wrap around pictures, PowerPoint slides looking like crap in PPT while they look great in Ooo, etc).

So I have to save my Ooo files as M$ files, move them to a Winbox and open/adjust them so they work for other people.

Alot of times (especially for .docs) I just save the text as a PDF and give them that. No muss, no fuss. Slideshows are my problem. But I haven't found anything that REALLY cooperates with M$ Office.

It is my belief that M$ does this on purpose - makes their proprietary .docx and .pptx more dificult to emulate, but I could be wrong - maybe Ooo is getting lazy since Oracle took over Sun (And maybe Oracle Office is StarOffice rebranded? I dont' know, I thought StarOffice was Sun Microsystems, but I'm a total noob....kind of....hahahhahah)

thegod_slayer
August 27th, 2010, 05:36 AM
well if you are using Ooo since 2.4 2.0 then you should know that Ooo has evolved a lot since then.

i am using it from the time of ubuntu (hardy heron)......
and man do i like it??????

ooooooo nothing like it.

and lastly if linux became that much child's play then what is the difference between win and linux.

linux is for human beings and for everything else there is windows.....

Eksra
August 29th, 2010, 01:19 AM
i am using it from the time of ubuntu (hardy heron)...... and man do i like it??????

Ah, 8.04 LTS :-D good memories - that was the first one I installed on my mac (the first Intel Mac I had - I no longer support Apple, but at the time, with boot camp, it was exciting :-D )

penholder
August 29th, 2010, 01:41 AM
i am going to throw this out there-if you are looking for simple office stuff for things like school papers and such there is always google docs. of course there is a disclaimer with this-i haven't used it with ubuntu YET. i am in college and do 90% of my work on gdocs. i had a bad experience with OO.

Eksra
August 29th, 2010, 04:33 AM
i am going to throw this out there-if you are looking for simple office stuff for things like school papers and such there is always google docs. of course there is a disclaimer with this-i haven't used it with ubuntu YET. i am in college and do 90% of my work on gdocs. i had a bad experience with OO.
Thank you!

I don't know how compatible the slide show app is with pptx files, but it's worth a try, and no downloading! :popcorn: Why didn't I think of that??? ./facepalm

although I'm in a CS major so I get MSDNAA (and subsequently free ******* and such, so I have an old hdd with windows 7 on it for my pptx checking.)

If it were up to me, I'd do my papers in vi though (lol).

penholder
August 29th, 2010, 04:40 AM
you are very welcome. i really am amazed at the number of people i have to tell about gdocs to. even people with a gmail account. one of my friends had to do a powerpoint presentation and didn't have it. i told her gdocs has something similar and she was golden! and what i love about it is i don't have to worry about losing a flash or anything if i have to print else where. it's all right there for you.

Eksra
August 29th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I've known about gdocs since public beta - (I'm on gmail, google voice, was in Wave beta (which turned out to suck...), etc etc) so I knew about it, I just totally forgot - but I'm not all that into cloud computing all of a sudden - I just switched back from chrome (that I've been using for a year now) to FireFox... I'm not into Google's privacy policies :-/

Not that I care if they watch my ppt for Human Sexuality class, but still... I'd like at least my browsing to be private - that way ads aren't targeted at me as much (they'll distract me!!!)

You get the picture.

But GDocs is great for sans flash drive, etc, etc. M$ has office online now as well to compete (now that bill gates is gone, I'm worried that ******* is actually getting *better* ... **gulp**)

gpdas
August 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
hey hey........
linux is user friendly but windows nahhhhhh

its ignorant friendly......

everything at the click of the mouse......

no need to know why this is happening how is this happening....... it's just happening

i mean users are getting depended type mentality.....

they are getting i mean adjusted to spoon feeding.......

i am using Ooo for 3 years straight....
and i never had any problem........
or neiether did i face any obstacle.........

my college has intriduced unix and shell programming as a subject in its curriculum but still then my classmates are not ready to
install linux on their systems........... the reason being most of the work on linux is done by command and not by mouse click
ha
what a pity............

Can you please tell why OO Spread sheet is not working properly when Filters are applied in more than one sheets?