PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Every time I try to boot the installation I get pixelated color garbage

rancidskunx
August 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hello, I don't know why but every time I try to load the cd all I get is the ubuntu name with the dots at the bottom but after it finishes loading the screen flickers and I get pixelated color garbage. Kinda like when you used to insert dirty NES game cartridges and all you got was some weird looking junk on the screen. I don't see no menus and I could not even install the Ubuntu OS because all I see is this. At first I thought that this related to ubuntu so I downloaded a few other distros but I end up with more or less the same problem.

Fedora 13 gives me the same problem as ubuntu if I pick the default option to install to hard drive. But if I pick the option install using default graphic drivers it loads the graphic installation but after the installation is done the OS seems to start booting but it just freezes.

Linux Mint 9 has the same problem as ubuntu.

OpenSUSE 11.3 loads the menu screen but when I chose to start the live cd or install to hard drive it gives me the same error as ubuntu. Even if I start with a lower resolution, VESA or Safe Settings.

Arch Linux works fine because of the whole text based installation and that it boots in command line.

I also tried to use an older version of SLAX that I had laying around and that seemed to boot to KDE perfectly. I have looked at the FAQ and Ive seen the part where it talks about entering some boot parameters if the image is messed up but I cant get to the main menu and even less go into GRUB because I cant install the OS. On OpenSUSE I could get on the main menu and on a small box said boot options I tried entering some boot parameters but nothing worked. BTW I also tried usb installation on using the distros named above and it did not work.

My system specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1243.3 MHz
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce FX 5600XT 256MB
Motherboard: Nvidia nforce 2

Any help is appreciated ^_^.

dabl
August 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM
On the first (text) menu on the Live CD, are there some "F-key" choices at the bottom? One of them is called "Safe Graphics" -- push that F-key and try it that way.

rancidskunx
August 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the reply, the problem is that I cant even see that menu as soon as I enter the CD I get the loading image with the dots and then the pixelated garbage