PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Windows Installer

harlanwolfe
August 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I tried using the Windows installer, after not having success burning the ISO to cd, and I received another error message.
"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive.
\Device\Harddisk3\DR3"

What now?

sikander3786
August 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Couldn't actually understand the problem. Please explain a bit more.

tejashs
August 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
may be the iso image is corrupted.

harlanwolfe
August 26th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your help. This is what happened when I tried using the windows installer.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/vc908ta05c.jpg
Am I supposed to setup & format a partition before using it?

I tried this after wasting a half dozen CDs trying to burn the iso with Infrarecorder. Also tried the download from the main page, as well as a couple of the mirror sites, and kept getting the same error message when verifying "Could not read file".

harlanwolfe
August 26th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Also, I couldn't cancel this operation, had to shut down the computer to remove this screen from my desktop..
Can anyone confirm that the pyrun.exe is the legit file for the wubi installer?

harlanwolfe
August 26th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Sorry to ramble...I'm using Windows Vista with Service Pack, have excellent memory & hard disk capacity. No other problems with CD burner or hard disk. I searched the forums for these particular issues, but couldn't locate relevant answers.
I appreciate the assistance. I've had it up to here with Windows after 10 years of headaches. Thinking of going to Mac, thought Ubuntu looked even more promising.

Maverick_Meerkat
August 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I was unable to install from the live CD. I ran WUBI and the ISO directly from my HDD. Additionally, I had to use the esc key to boot into safe graphics mode to complete the install. After that, everything booted normally and worked flawlessly. Except of course for the sleep/suspend/resume... which seems to be a problem on many laptops.

arubislander
August 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
pyrun.exe seems to be legit. What version are you trying to install? There have been bug reports on 9.04

arubislander
August 26th, 2010, 05:40 PM
So you're set now?

harlanwolfe
August 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Got it to start installing, missed this thread. Keep you posted.

I had this same issue and got it resolved following this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8208814

Which basically just says to disconnect external drives / devices (in my case was an ipod and android phone).

harlanwolfe
August 27th, 2010, 04:53 AM
All is running fine now, an thanks to all. I really like the ease of switching between OS to use particular programs. The one thing is I haven't figured out how to install Flash. Do I need to download software to open the Linux file options, and which should I use for this version of Ubuntu 10?

arubislander
August 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM
~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Should install flash and a few other stuff that's handy to have around.

harlanwolfe
August 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Where do I install that code? Total Ubu newbie here!

harlanwolfe
August 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Almost added the Firefox plug-in, but dont have the Ubuntu CD, so it wasn't able to finish installing.

harlanwolfe
August 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
The terminal, thanks, getting the hang of it. Worked fine, but apparently needs the CD to finish as well?

bcbc
August 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
If you're getting errors about needing the CD, then likely it's set in your software sources.
Click on: System, Administration, Software Sources.
Look at the bottom where it has the CD and uncheck the box. Then it will reload the software sources upon exit and shouldn't prompt you for it again.

harlanwolfe
August 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Unchecked the CD box in software source, and that appeared to result in a successful installation. I still can't view any online video. Also installed other flash-alike players with no luck.

What else do I need to view flash and online videos?

bcbc
August 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Are you running 32bit or 64bit ubuntu? I understand the 64bit has some issues with flash. 32bit is recommended for normal desktop use.

As far as I know, installing restricted extras enables flash.

But anyway - I just chimed in because I recognized that CD error. So hopefully someone else knows more about flash.

harlanwolfe
August 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I appreciate the help! The only place that I can see is that AMD 64 it refers to as my computer, which is a 32 bit. I didn't see that I had a choice...did the installer mis-recognize mt system, or how can I fix this? I think I may just re-install.

bcbc
August 29th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I appreciate the help! The only place that I can see is that AMD 64 it refers to as my computer, which is a 32 bit. I didn't see that I had a choice...did the installer mis-recognize mt system, or how can I fix this? I think I may just re-install.

If you reinstall make sure it's the 32 bit version - wubi automatically chooses amd64 if it detects a 64 bit processor. You can download the 32bit .iso and place it in the same folder as wubi.exe and it will use it instead.

harlanwolfe
August 29th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks! Great success in writing to disc & installing using 32 bit downloader, all features are installed or available.
I appreciate all the assistance. So far, the only reason I need to switch back to Windows is a USPS Shipping Assistant, but I can workaround that.