PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] are the sound issues likely to be fixed in 10.04?

Phosphoric
August 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'd like to upgrade to 10.04.1 but on trying the lived CD, the sound issues are still there. Breaking up, buzzing etc.

I tried very hard to fix this same issue in 9.10 but gave up and went back to 9.04.

I've read through most of the very long thread on sound issues and it appears to me that there is still no simple remedy. The suggestions offered in the thread are far to complicated for me.

This is a real show stopper for me to continue with Ubuntu, I've been using it for nearly 4 years and so far have managed to cross most hurdles.

Surely the developers should be able to get it to work straight out of the box?

Phosphoric
August 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Talking to myself but it looks as if it's an issue with my Turtle Beach card (CS46xx chipset) and Ubuntu since 9.10. It further looks as if the bug will not be sorted even for 10.10.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/428619

Looks like I've got to buy a new audio card if I want to run Ubuntu.......just the same as I had to buy a new NVidia graphics card to replace my perfectly serviceable ATI. :(

Phosphoric
August 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Can anybody recommend a basic sound card that will work with 10.04? Please don't suggest I use the hardware compatibility guide, it's out of date. Says my card is OK!

I'm looking at a Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE 7.1 which is about 25 from PC World.

Any ideas?

Thanks

UKBB
August 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I started a thread in the general section asking how to improve the sound quality and haven't gotten an answer either. One thing I can do is power up Windows XP in Virtual box and watch videos there. No problem whatsoever. Not sure why the quality is so awful in Ubuntu.

Priswell
March 4th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Soundblaster Audigy SE

If this runs the CA0106 chipset, run! Your sound issues will continue. My next try will be with a Soundblaster Live with a EMU-10K1 chipset. I hope that will do better.

lidex
March 4th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I've seen this recommended:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020&nm_mc=AFC-Techreport&cm_mmc=AFC-Techreport-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA