PDA

View Full Version : Damn, Rogers (Cable company in Ontario) is implementing Caps...

Quake
February 15th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Well, Rogers is going to implement a combind Upload and Download Bandwidth limit of 60 Gig! http://www.rogershelp.com//yahoo/connection/ums/index.html

That means I won't be able to update hoary as often I want, can't listen to the radio as often I want and won't be able to play Multiplayer games as Often I want...

Time to switch I guess...

jdodson
February 15th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Well, Rogers is going to implement a combind Upload and Download Bandwidth limit of 60 Gig! http://www.rogershelp.com//yahoo/connection/ums/index.html

That means I won't be able to update hoary as often I want, can't listen to the radio as often I want and won't be able to play Multiplayer games as Often I want...

Time to switch I guess...

you use more than 60 gigs a month? wow.

to be fair, caps are dumb, but i guess you get what you pay for. not sure it would make anyones speeds faster like the article claimed. it would make some people's bill higher though:)

trash
February 15th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Go adsl, some of my friends are on cable and they never stop bitching how bad it is anyway.
I just got it and couldn't be happier and zero limits :mrgreen:

Jad
February 15th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I have 5 gigs a month with Wanadoo, and I'm happy :-)

BWF89
February 15th, 2005, 11:25 PM
60 gigs a month seems like alot.

Quest-Master
February 15th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Ah, the many joys of Comcast..

:)

br0adband
February 16th, 2005, 01:33 AM
If it happens to one cable provider, it can happen to others.

DSL isn't safe either, so don't be surprised if Rogers' move is only the start. No one is really safe, yanno. We could all be capped inside of two years if the industry and the providers decided on it.

Of course, to make such a massive change in policy industry-wide Hell would pretty much hit absolute zero, so we're safe for a while.

But 60GB a month combined up/down is enough for anyone. It would be pretty interesting to actually do useful and totally legal activities over any Internet connection and consume 60GB a month... 2GB a day combined roughly... and that doesn't mean uploading and downloading ISOs of your favorite Linux distros every day either.

:grin:

Just my $.02.

Paul

jdong
February 16th, 2005, 01:53 AM
WideOpenWest (fairly common US cable provider) has been capping for quite a while -- though it's not a hard cap. Rather, passing 20GB monthly bandwidth would raise some red flags, prompting WOW to investigate. Usually, that means my router gets hit with a bunch of portscans, NESSUS probes, you name it!

Before, when I used to help torrent Linux ISO's, I've gotten a few letters from WOW, telling me to stop engaging in illegal activities. I'd call tech support, and explain to them that my activity's legal (GPL), and they'd come back that my usage falls under the "Excessive Usage" clause.

WTF? I pay GOOD MONEY for my cable internet -- are you telling me I can't even use the internet at the speeds you advertise to me???

KiwiNZ
February 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM
60 gigs a month http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Goodness me I average about 4gig a month and Ithought that was a lot .

Xian
February 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM
60 gigs a month http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Goodness me I average about 4gig a month and Ithought that was a lot .
LOL. Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.
I'm not sure I could even download that much if I made a point of trying. :)

Dylanby
February 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM
About 4 years ago I used to average 80 gigs down a month. Where's all that stuff now?

Downloading stuff just 'cause it's "free" can be addicting. But pointless too. "Collecting" takes over as a sort of hobby. Ultimately there's only so many hours in the day & only so much one person can consume.

Excluding internet radio or Linux iso's, my average now is probably around 2 or 3 gigs.

Caps are stupid. When Bell first announced their caps (& fines) a few years ago I went on Ebay & bought my own dsl modem. Now I just use whatever re-seller I want.

Quake, if you go with dsl (in the GTA) be advised that their newsgroups aren't as comprehensive (regarding binaries).

Still, 60 gigs isn't too bad. When Bell implemented theirs it was 10 up/down (I think they've changed that policy since).