PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu update updating lucid?

a2z
August 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hello everyone,
I've had a lot of trouble since doing an update with ubuntu 10.4 (I think is the version). I have also noticed a lot of other people are having troubles.
It started a few months ago when I tried an update. At that time, my graphics (nvidia) became out of line. I let it go for some time since I had a backup version of ubuntu on another hd.
So recently, I began trying advice from a recent thread. Now I can't boot.
I also noticed while going through the upgrade it was bringing in lucid files. Is this right? I thought lucid was a separate version.
Just wondering perhaps this is part of the problem everyone is experiencing.
Be nice to have some input on this subject.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work! Your efforts are cherished and enjoyed by many.:popcorn:

a2z

mörgæs
August 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Lucid Lynx and 10.04 are the same version. The Ubuntu community has a bad habit of giving double name for a version for no apparent reason. It only makes googling for answers more troublesome.

Having said that, 10.04 is a great version on most hardware. It is now released as version 10.04.1, which includes all accumulated updates. If you burn a live CD with this one, can you boot the machine?

http://www.releases.ubuntu.com/

a2z
August 27th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Lucid Lynx and 10.04 are the same version. The Ubuntu community has a bad habit of giving double name for a version for no apparent reason. It only makes googling for answers more troublesome.

Having said that, 10.04 is a great version on most hardware. It is now released as version 10.04.1, which includes all accumulated updates. If you burn a live CD with this one, can you boot the machine?

http://www.releases.ubuntu.com/

It is troublesome for obvious reasons. Fortunately, it is apparent that's not what's breaking all these different systems. I do find it odd that some updates I see karmic and now presciently, I see lucid. Think devs should tighten up a bit, to keep the confusion down to a dull roar.

I've already copied most of my files to another hd so that I can do a clean install.
I find it very very convenient to have 2 identical os's on two separate hd's and an additional one for storage.

Thanks for responding. I'll go check out downloading 10.4 now. I know I have several back versions ie, karmic and jaunty. But I think one of those is a little glitchy as well.

Best wishes,

a2z