PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Alternate Install vs Debian Netinstall

Eksra
August 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
So I have been on IRC, forums, AIM, etc. Cannot seem to get a straight answer.

I have been using Ubuntu since 8.04 Hardy Heron, and I have grown quite accustomed to Aptitude [sudo aptitude update/upgrade]. I prefer not to have these new things in 10.04 (gwibber, FF [I prefer chromium], totem [VLC for me] and the menu bars are wrong.)

I am trying to figure out if it would be simpler for me to start with a base debian and aptitude install the pkgs I want, or to get Ubuntu and strip down the junk I don't like. (they're fine, just not for me.)

Also wish that my OS would start in BASH and then I would startx or gdm, etc. I read that removing it from the init script in 10.04 doesn't have any effect. Oh well. I can live with this.

Main question is this - is a *basic* Ubuntu (gnome) install any different than a *basic* Debian (gnome) install? If so, *what* is the difference??

[edit: Is there a way to kill gnome/x server to get to bash for when I don't need a WM?]

Thank you in advance!

wojox
August 26th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I've done a few mini installs on 8.10 and 9.04. Here's a good updated source Modest Spec or Barebones Installation of Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal).

This is a lot easier than stripping out what you don't want.

Eksra
August 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ah, so this is how #! was born? #! is basically what I want, but it's not quite right, and I wanted to customize it myself. This looks quite promising, thank you.

Any tips on GDM vs wdm,etc? I have a C2D e8400 running at 3.6GHz and 8G DDR2 and a laptop with a TF20 (single amd 1.6) and 2G DDR2 and want 'similar' setups so I can transfer back and forth seamlessly.

I'll probably go with Fluxbox, chromium, figure out how to get conky up and how I want it (is it even in the repos?), vlc, openoffice. The problem is I'm quite familiar with gnome tools (gedit, the calculator, nautilus, gnome terminal, the main menu, etc. Can these be used without the Gnome desktop?)

Thanks again in advance! (and is there a thread on how to create an install iso of a system freeze for when I get 'my own distro' running so I can install it on all my machines? thanks :-D)

Eksra
August 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Now I'm a bit confused - I figured out what I want, and I can have it, but I want to understand.

What is the difference between a minimal ubuntu install (clean cli no extra pkgs) and a basic debian install (same clean cli with no extra pkgs)?

Are there diff. init scripts? Are there diff default pkgs in the base system? What gives?