PDA

View Full Version : Maverick Meerkat

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Is it just me or does the name Maverick Meerkat sounds like it's gonna be blue? Natty Narwhal sounds dark blue to me. Am I going crazy? Oh wait, I may've been crazy from the very beginning...

TNT1
August 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Have you seen a meerkat? There's no blue...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Suricata.jpg

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM
The Maverick part sounds blue, don't know why, but like I mentioned I must be crazy.

m4tic
August 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
The Maverick part sounds blue, don't know why, but like I mentioned I must be crazy.

maverick (Top Gun) reminds me of an american flag

TNT1
August 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Weird, Maverick reminds me of James Garner...

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
And Maverick always reminds me of the namesake GTA choppers.

DougieFresh4U
August 26th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Here's your 'blue' Maverick

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Which car is that? Unlike the guys I'm surrounded with, I've zero interest in cars...

DougieFresh4U
August 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Which car is that? Unlike the guys I'm surrounded with, I've zero interest in cars...

That is an early 70's Ford Maverick

Sporkman
August 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Is it just me or does the name Maverick Meerkat sounds like it's gonna be blue? Natty Narwhal sounds dark blue to me. Am I going crazy? Oh wait, I may've been crazy from the very beginning...

I do associate colors with letters.

I suspect it has to do with the large, colorful letter charts my teachers put up on the walls of my classroom during my early years.

Frogs Hair
August 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Enjoy the meerkat , it makes for better wallpaper than the whale. I haven't seen any good reports here on the forum about 10.10 so far. It seems like there was a lot more excitement about Lucid ; perhaps , because it is LTS.

whiskeylover
August 26th, 2010, 02:58 PM
It reminds me of Sarah Palin :(

piousp
August 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I do associate colors with letters.

Maybe you have this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Sporkman
August 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Maybe you have this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Possibly, though for me it's more an association rather than a perceptive thing. I.e. I don't see them colorfully, or otherwise perceive colors when I see them, however when I construct mental imagery of them, then the color associations (not strong, but there) come out...

TNT1
August 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Seriously, look at pics of meerkats... Remember how Lucid was very dark, purples/browns? Meerkats are brown/orange lighter... Look at them in their natural habitat... It's a progression towards a lighter feel... This distro needs lightening up. Meerkats are playful, I grew up with them in my backyard, they have fun and lightness, a sense of humour...

You ask me, the reason Linux in general struggles to gain acceptance and market share is the overwhelming feeling that an ordinary human being who laughs and smiles would be out of place here.

mkendall
August 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
You ask me, the reason Linux in general struggles to gain acceptance and market share is the overwhelming feeling that an ordinary human being who laughs and smiles would be out of place here.

Don't you oppress me!

TNT1
August 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Don't you oppress me!

Dude, I grew up with Apartheid, oppression is second nature...:)

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I've long since viewed the screen shots, yet the way Maverick Meerkat is pronounced makes me think of blue. Oh, and I like the brighter aspect of 10.10. Orange and black seems quite a good combination to me.

TNT1
August 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I've long since viewed the screen shots, yet the way Maverick Meerkat is pronounced makes me think of blue. Oh, and I like the brighter aspect of 10.10. Orange and black seems quite a good combination to me.

Come again? I have no idea how it's supposed to be pronounced... Other than Maverick like the TV show, and Meerkat like the little kalahari beastie it is... (it's an Afrikaans word, so how the rest of you pronounce it is beyond me...)

pookiebear
August 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Enjoy the meerkat , it makes for better wallpaper than the whale. I haven't seen any good reports here on the forum about 10.10 so far. It seems like there was a lot more excitement about Lucid ; perhaps , because it is LTS.

I'm running the xubuntu alpha 10.10 updated as of today. working good. I like it. But since it is xubuntu it does have some blue in it.

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Come again? I have no idea how it's supposed to be pronounced... Other than Maverick like the TV show, and Meerkat like the little kalahari beastie it is... (it's an Afrikaans word, so how the rest of you pronounce it is beyond me...)
It matters not how I pronounce, but it sounds blue~!

Ah, Xubuntu, wasn't able to get comfortable with it, forgot why, but I'd enjoy the orange/black theme more than Xubuntu's blue.

Speaking of Xubuntu and pronunciation, I pronounce it 'shoo-bun-too', and my bro-in-law (we're the only ones who uses Linux) pronounces it 'zoo-bun-too'. Which is correct?