PDA

View Full Version : So Yahoo practically doesn't exist anymore then.

Madspyman
August 26th, 2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS287261930820100825

I don't suppose Canonical will ever try again at using Yahoo as Ubuntu's default search engine now that it's actually Bing.

Does this mean Canonical has a profit sharing agreement now with Microsoft directly, or was that deal diffused when Google was made the default again?

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Never really used Y! much.

m4tic
August 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Yahoo! Search is dead, not Yahoo!

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, I mean Y! Search. Though I don't use Y! as a whole a lot either. I just have one freaking Y! contact...

m4tic
August 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
How are we supposed to pronounce Yahoo!, shout? If so it was doomed from the get-go

EDITL: Wait I said doomed, <---my avatar

wersdaluv
August 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
It's been like that for a while already.

Naiki Muliaina
August 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Yahoo search was always rubbish. I don't think they got that when they re-branded it and had the pre Microsoft/bing merge thing. You can dress muck up all you want. At the end of the day, its still muck.

Austin25
August 26th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Why would they use bing?

Madspyman
August 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Yahoo search was always rubbish. I don't think they got that when they re-branded it and had the pre Microsoft/bing merge thing. You can dress muck up all you want. At the end of the day, its still muck.

Now it's MS muck. So it's bad to worse.

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS287261930820100825

I don't suppose Canonical will ever try again at using Yahoo as Ubuntu's default search engine now that it's actually Bing.

Does this mean Canonical has a profit sharing agreement now with Microsoft directly, or was that deal diffused when Google was made the default again?

Haha. This was the whole JOKE.

Shuttleworth's sense of humor is that Microsoft is paying Canonical to use linux as they use MS's search engine. It was done on purpose.

I dont think Microsoft was in on it the deal though initially.

Madspyman
August 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Haha. This was the whole JOKE.

Shuttleworth's sense of humor is that Microsoft is paying Canonical to use linux as they use MS's search engine. It was done on purpose.

I dont think Microsoft was in on it the deal though initially.

So MS pays Canonical to make Ubuntu look more like Mac. Thats a funnier joke.

Maybe Canonical was actually trying to make a deal with Yahoo, but was unaware just how tied to MS Yahoo's future really was.

Naiki Muliaina
August 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Madspyman I have a great tin foil hat if you want to burrow it... :rolleyes:

Grenage
August 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Now it's MS muck. So it's bad to worse.

Oh? I think Bing's quite a good search engine, but I prefer Googles.

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM
So MS pays Canonical to make Ubuntu look more like Mac. Thats a funnier joke.

Maybe Canonical was actually trying to make a deal with Yahoo, but was unaware just how tied to MS Yahoo's future really was.

No. There was an article about it. Shuttleworth did this purposefully according to sources.

Naiki Muliaina
August 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
No. There was an article about it. Shuttleworth did this purposefully according to sources.

Got a link? Would like to read that one :)

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I dont have the one I was thinking of, but here is an article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/27/ubuntiu_bags_google_for_yahoo_search/

Naiki Muliaina
August 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
yarr! Register... Not a good article... I shall have a nosey for a proper one later. If that was done intenally as deal with / a joke on MS i will have to put away the tin foil hat jokes i was gonna start puttin out... :(

Madspyman
August 26th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Thats an odd reason to purposefully enter into a profit sharing agreement with a company a great deal of your products users are adverse to.

I dont have the one I was thinking of, but here is an article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/27/ubuntiu_bags_google_for_yahoo_search/

Sounds like Canonical made their deal with Yahoo before Microsoft's deal with Yahoo was approved.

In late July, Microsoft and Yahoo! inked a 10-year deal that would see Microsoft search and advertising technologies drive Yahoo!'s search engine, while Yahoo! handles traditional ad sales on both its search site and Microsoft's. The deal still requires regulatory approval, but this is expected any day now.

Doesn't look like they made a deal with Microsoft directly, but more Like a deal with Yahoo! before their search engine was fully acquired by Microsoft.

Little bit FUDish at the end.

It's also worth noting that in shunning Google on Ubuntu Firefox, Canonical has shunned a company with close ties to the OS. Internally, Google has long used a version of Ubuntu dubbed, yes, Goobuntu, and Ubuntu underpins Google's upcoming Chrome OS.

Shunning Google, I mean really? That's a bit of a drastic statement.

Yahoo never did become Ubuntu's Firefox default, so how has any of this even benefited Canonical? Not a very funny joke if you ask me.

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I think Canonical made the deal when it was apparent Microsoft was getting involved.

And yes, I've never seen Y! appearing on any Ubuntu distro I tried...

Naiki Muliaina
August 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Y! Was defintaly default near release of lucid.

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hmm, I installed 10.04 quite a bit after the release, so probably missed it.

whiskeylover
August 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Who cares? I think the Bing results aren't as bad as you guys think. I personally use Google though. But its good to have competition. Look at Google image search for example. They copied the Bing interface and it looks good. I know most of you will disagree because of the rampant MS hatred.

RiceMonster
August 26th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Who cares? I think the Bing results aren't as bad as you guys think. I personally use Google though. But its good to have competition. Look at Google image search for example. They copied the Bing interface and it looks good. I know most of you will disagree because of the rampant MS hatred.

I agree. Bing is pretty good, though I still think Google is better.

David Andersson
August 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Yahoo's search results in the U.S. and Canada are now fully powered by Microsoft's Bing.

In my country, Yahoo Search still gives different results from Bing.

Which is best? I tested searching for gr qm in Yahoo, Bing, Google and good old Alta Vista, and checked the first two hits from each, that seemed relevant to the topic I had in mind, and that was not in format pdf or msword.

Best: Yahoo and Alta Vista had 5 relevant hits on the first page. The two first was serious threads or articles on serious sites.

Close: Google had 5 relevant hits on the first page. The two first was serious sites, one of them a serious thread or article.

Worst: Bing had only one relevant hit in the first three pages! Which was a crackpot thread, thou on a serious site.

I suppose MS knows they are one of the worst, so why would they want to replace one of the best?

(Disclaimer: My test had a very small sample, and when I say a hit is "relevant", or a site is "serious", it is judged by a very brief glance, not consulting any independent sources.)

mamamia88
August 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I like yahoo their my yahoo rss reader is much better than googles rss reader in how i use it

beercz
August 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I think google's image search has got worse when they changed it recently. It's very slow, especially when you choose the show more results option. I change to the basic (i.e. previous version) every time I use it. Link is at the bottom of the search results page.

Nick_Jinn
August 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah, they must not have tested it on older hardware.