PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where oh where did my desktop go?

director4all
August 26th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Lost my desktop. Can't open places windows. "killall nautilus" results in "no process running". Quite annoying really. This all started when I updated to the latest distro. Anyone have any ideas?:popcorn:

DavidOfLondon
August 26th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Ubuntu Lucid Lynx?

I'd just reinstall the whole thing and be careful in future to not use the terminal for installing apps that are available via the Package Manager or Software Center.

I don't know to what extent you understand Linux so I can't guess whether you've been editing scripts without knowing the possible outcome...

It sounds to me like you edited a driver or created a conflict which is critical.

Have you been using the terminal?

gbestrada
August 26th, 2010, 06:09 AM
that happened to me when by mistake installed arandr and had to work it out by pressing
( ctrl +alt+tab ) and the directional arrows.
:popcorn:

director4all
August 26th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Nope...didn't use the terminal. Lost the desktop a few days after the upgrade to 10.04
I always use synaptic to install or uninstall apps. Have to run a diagnostic on the system as I got a "bus error" when I tried to start nautilus. It's an old Toshiba satellite that's seen better days.:confused:

I've run Ubuntu on other machines with no problems. (scratching my head)

DavidOfLondon
August 27th, 2010, 05:03 AM
The bash history file nearly always points out for me anything stupid I did. It's worth a shot.

All I know for certain is that the number of people who experience meltdown when upgrading is VERY large indeed. Seemless upgrades seem to be the minority experience!

In your position I'd just make a cd of the upgraded version of the OS and install it from scratch. But I'm a "lazy novice" as one as.shole called me today :)

Lazy Novices of the World, UNITE!!