PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from 9.X to 10.2 crashed - alloc magic is broken

bmahf
August 25th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Yikes!
I was upgrading from 9.X (can't remember what X is) to I believe it was 10.2 (ok, this happened over a month ago and I just haven't had the time to run after it), and lost power. Obviously doesn't sound good, right? Now when I boot I get the message "alloc magic is broken at 0xaff2c150". I have no idea if this error message is indicative of the whole problem, or what, but I can't get back to my system. I would really rather not lose my work. Is there anyone that can tell me where to start looking into this problem?
Thanks for any help you can give...
Bruce

mörgæs
August 27th, 2010, 03:07 AM
If the power fails, it is almost impossible to predict which errors might show up. First: Have you rescued all important files from the system?

bmahf
September 3rd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry, I've been very busy. Justing getting back to this. I have no way to get to the system in order to rescue anything, and am unsure how you would do that. The system and all my files live on the same partition. I could just do a clean install of the whole shebang, but would really love not to lose any of my work. Is there actually anything I can do at this point? or am I lost to the netherworlds of reformatting and starting again from scratch?
Bruce

mörgæs
September 4th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I could just do a clean install of the whole shebang, but would really love not to lose any of my work.

If you first boot with a live CD, you can rescue your files from /home to a USB stick.