PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Huge Fonts/Toolbars in Ubuntu 8.04

Enishiru
August 25th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Hello,

Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 from a Live CD.

Login screen is fine, but the input font (when entering user and pass) are already huge.

After I login the real problems start... I can't do anything because the fonts and toolbars are gigantic. I've tried accessing the preferences and modifying the font size but it's impossible.

I know this is a common problem but I've searched the forums and Googled it and I can't seem to find the solution.

Thanks.

quixote
August 28th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Don't know if this will help, but it might be worth trying.

Right-click anywhere on the desktop, and select "Change Desktop Background". If the resultant menu is too big to use, I know there are ways to move the window, I think by holding down the Alt key and using the arrows?? (I'll try to look it up.) Assuming you can see it, select the "Fonts" tab. Toward the lower right is a "Details" button. Click that.

Near the top left of the window you get is a box to specify the dots per inch of your screen. It should be a number like 96. Screens with a big pixel size might use 72, those with a small one can use 125. And so on. You can put any number you want in there. It'll just make everything bigger or smaller. Unless that number was something odd, like 20, then fixing it this way is just a workaround, and it would be a good idea to figure out what the real source of the problem was. Possibly, having an unrealistic dots per inch number there could cause trouble for some programs.