PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem in getting GUI in ubuntu

deeptiaggarwal
August 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM
i wanted to install Eclipse in Ubuntu 9.10, but there occured some error whnever i tried to install some s/w. so i thought there can be some problem of compiler etc, and i updated and upgraded the system. updation went well, but as i tried upgrading by sudo apt-get upgrade, there occured some problem in upgradation and since then i was unable to get GUI, it showed me the black terminal. there i tried "startx", then i get GUI, but everytime the screen got locked, I am unable to move the cursor or use keyboard. So, i tried to install desktop by this command "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop", some execution went for about an hour, & then everytime i boot it, it shows "mount error"- /dev not mount.. then at sometimes it goes in "power save mode" and my system gets off, and at some other times it shows me the screen to login but i am unable to move the cursor...

sanderd17
August 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
The easiest would be to reïnstall your system. Certainly if your system isn't old. If you have reïnstalled it, try to use eclipse from the eclipse site (just unzip it, go in the directory and double click "eclipse"). They did some really weird thing with eclipse in the repo's.

Are you able to boot in terminal mode? And what happens if you try other boot options? like acpi=off and so.

techxcell
August 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hey Deepti, agreeing with @sanderd17, I suggest you download the latest Ubuntu iso image. 10.04 Lucid Lynx (I'm loving it!). Burn it to a cd/dvd and make a fresh install. You can also use unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net) to install the downloaded .iso file to your USB Pen Drive and use it to install the new OS.

People on this forum are really knowledgeable and helpful and you will find a way to fix your system eventually. But, I suggest you put your download manager to work right now. If your download of Ubuntu 10.04 completes before you find a solution. Install fresh!! :D LOL!