PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Cardfile replacement

SallyK
August 25th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm finally giving up my XP computer, but I'm wondering if there is a Linux equivalent of the Cardfile program that originally came with Windows 3.x.

It's incredibly useful for really simple databases and I've used it to store my needlework threads for many years. I know I probably won't be able to just transfer the data, though that would be wonderful, but something with a similar simple and flexible way of storing information would be great.

Thank you for any suggestions.

rjbl
August 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Have used such on RH7, many years ago, and it was an old app. then. PC implementations of card files have fallen out of favour over the last decade, or so, but I guess you could google 'cardfile linux' and pick up a lot of golden oldies which probably still run ok. An alternative would be to try your old MS Cardfile.exe under WINE. After all 'Notepad' still runs in WINE - and that is pretty much the same vintage.

ATB
rjbl

samalex
August 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Sounds like the old app HyperCard for the Mac. As rjbl suggested you may be able to get cardfile.exe to run under Wine, so worth a shot. Also another option I just found via Google is this - http://www.azzcardfile.com/cardfile/cardfile.html - which says it'll work with Cardfile.exe files. You can also try this under Wine on Linux which would let you keep your existing data.

As for native Cardfile apps, I've never heard of any and I didn't see any in the Repos, though you probably already looked there :)

Sam

SallyK
August 25th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Thank you very much to both of you for the suggestions. I hadn't found anything in the repos but wondered if I just wasn't using the wrong search terms.

I was really hoping to avoid running Wine just for this one program, and I have got Azzcardfile working under Windows 7, so I'll probably stick with that for now. (The original Cardfile is 16bit, so 64bit Windows is choking on it. :-( )

It seems a bit of gap in the "market", a very basic database that you can use to store just two or three kinds of information, in a fairly free-form way. Looking at Google I certainly wasn't the only one trying to get Cardfile working in Windows 7.

Anyway, thanks again for trying to help.

grahammechanical
August 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
How about tomboy notes or something similar?

regards

samalex
August 26th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Another option is Base through OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html). It's kinda like Access in MS Office but it's not as feature rich (IMO anyway), but it's simple to use and under OOo 3 it's very stable. Maybe overkill for what you need, but it's a great single user database app plus it can import and export from a variety of formats. If you can export your current Cardfile info into a delimited file Base may be able to import it in.

Just another thought --

Sam

LowSky
August 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
tomboy notes is a great idea, and it can be synced with Ubuntu One, so all your data can be seen over multiple acounts or on the go on form the website.

SallyK
August 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Thank you very much to everybody for the suggestions.

I hadn't thought of Tomboy Notes as a possibility but I'll certain take a look at it.

Otherwise I'll bite the bullet and put it into Base, which will probably be more flexible in the long run, even if it is more complicated than I've used so far.