PDA

View Full Version : debian minimal

sandyd
August 25th, 2010, 05:24 PM
what do you think of debian minimal? Even with pure-ftpd, apache, mysql, postfix, and samba installed, it only takes up 40mb of RAM. And apt is much much faster on it than in ubuntu. Im currently considering converting my servers to debian right now.

dtoronto
August 25th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Good to know, I've been looking for ways to scale down my resource consumption on my servers, and looking at other distros. The one thing I really like about Ubuntu is the repositories are the most comprehensive for the apps that I use on my servers.

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My Ubuntu takes 45 with all that plus BIND and NTPD. Not much of a difference...

XubuRoxMySox
August 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM
It's pro'lly great on servers, and great on desktops for people who know what they're doing, who know exactly what they want installed and how to do that.

My own experimental exploration of Debian was very positive, but I battled for the better part of a week to get all my hardware and stuff recognized and working. It's not for newbies or technically-challenged dixiedancers, but it definitely is lighter on resources than Ubuntu! The simplicity and ease of Xubuntu is more than worth the 10 or 20 extra megs of RAM difference to me though.

-Robin

juancarlospaco
August 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Ram not used, ram wasted.

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Ram not used, ram wasted.

If you only have 64, though, you want to give yourself some room just in case.

koenn
August 25th, 2010, 08:12 PM
The one thing I really like about Ubuntu is the repositories are the most comprehensive for the apps that I use on my servers.
weird, given that ubuntu's repos are derived from debian's ...

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM
weird, given that ubuntu's repos are derived from debian's ...

With some very nice additions.

koenn
August 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
With some very nice additions.
such as ?

mips
August 25th, 2010, 08:29 PM
what do you think of debian minimal? Even with pure-ftpd, apache, mysql, postfix, and samba installed, it only takes up 40mb of RAM. And apt is much much faster on it than in ubuntu. Im currently considering converting my servers to debian right now.

Go for it. Why do you need the affirmation?

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
such as ?

More kernel modules available for easy instllation with dkms, for example for Broadcom wifi cards, or apparmor, or branded Mozilla stuff (silly, but still something the lambda user likes)...

And overall better maintained, security updates are generally uploaded to Ubuntu several days before they are uploaded to Debian.

koenn
August 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
More kernel modules available for easy instllation with dkms, for example for Broadcom wifi cards, or apparmor, or branded Mozilla stuff (silly, but still something the lambda user likes)...

And overall better maintained, security updates are generally uploaded to Ubuntu several days before they are uploaded to Debian.

oh, ok - I was thinking about ('end user') applications and the likes.
I run very generic hardware with the traditional server software (network infrastructure, web,filesharing, ...) so there's little ubuntu would have over debian in that respect.

Spice Weasel
August 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Ubuntu's repositories are absolutely a waste of time if you just want a basic system.

Paqman
August 25th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Ubuntu's repositories are absolutely a waste of time if you just want a basic system.

Eh? There's plenty of packages in them that are useful for building a lightweight system. You don't have to install ubuntu-desktop.

Spice Weasel
August 25th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Eh? There's plenty of packages in them that are useful for building a lightweight system. You don't have to install ubuntu-desktop.

There's lots for building a lightweight system, but there is about ten times more bloat. I'm not talking lightweight, when I say basic I mean that how much of the repository does the average user need and use? I'd personally like to disable the parts that I won't ever use.

Paqman
August 25th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I'd personally like to disable the parts that I won't ever use.

Why's that then? A big repo is a good repo, surely?

Spice Weasel
August 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Less updating time, quicker installs/removals etc.