PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here think that its a good idea to use Update Manager?

afroman10496
August 25th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Does anybody not do a fresh install of ubuntu? why or why not?

i just like to install things so i fresh install ;) tried update manager and it took a long, long time -_-

And i cant belive i forgot a poll -_- mods if you can can you add one plz??:D

Calash
August 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I do upgrades on most of my computers. Not to many problems, and most of them were my fault. Things like downloaded video drivers and such.

My work computer had issues with the 10.04 upgrade but they were due to our proxy server. Fixing some settings cleared it right up.

XubuRoxMySox
August 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
The update manager is not something that takes the place of an OS installation, it merely updates an existing one. I only accept security updates, but you can select as much or as little as updating as you like.

It's very important after any fresh install to update (security updates anyway)! It takes a long time because there are tons of new updates in the early life of a new Ubuntu release. You can shorten that time by accepting only security updates! Then you'll have maybe 40 or 50 updates instead of 200+, lol.

-Robin

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I use apt-get dist-upgrade myself, but Update Manager is probably a better idea if you want to upgrade and not deal with the configuration hiccups. That being said, of course an update is not the same as a fresh instal, that's the point.

matthew.ball
August 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I've had some terrible experiences with upgrading in the past - particularly during semester's at university. So much so that I rarely use the Update Manager (except for chromium-daily builds, but haven't updated for a few weeks now).

I really dislike this new update manager which is now included with Ubuntu (I have two update managers running and reminding me to update my system. Two! As if one wasn't enough. Why?)

Usually just wait until the school semester has finished, then run the update. In most cases, my system will die and I will have to do a re-install. My ISP hosts an up-to-date mirror of the Ubuntu repositories (it's actually my universities mirror), I don't lose anything in downloads, so I don't mind running the update, just in case it works, but it rarely does...

Calash
August 25th, 2010, 02:33 PM
It is odd how some people can have no issues with updates while others have nothing but problems.

It is not just Ubuntu as I have seen it in Windows too. Some people have had horrific issues with automatic updates. Personally I have never had a problem.

I did have one issue with the recent update of Likewise on my Ubuntu system. It had a bug that caused me to lose AD membership. The next update fixed it.

I wonder if it is just that some people are more tolerant to the small issues than others or if there is really that much of a difference between experiences.

Grenage
August 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I think it's luck of the draw, and what you've done to the OS before you upgrade.

My laptop has no custom configuration, and it's gone through several upgrades. No problems at all. My desktop has only had fresh installs, and I won't be reformatting it unless I have to.

Bachstelze
August 25th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I wonder if it is just that some people are more tolerant to the small issues than others or if there is really that much of a difference between experiences.

It also depends on how experienced the person is. Old users like myself sometimes won't notice there is a problem to begin with, because in days of yore, having to manually tweak your configuration files to adapt them to the new version of a program was the norm.

TNT1
August 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM
all of the machines I use went from 9,04 to 10.04 via upgrade manager (using alternate upgrade cd as well) two of the ones I maintain did the same going to 10.04.1 via the same method. That said, if I went to 10.10, then going to 11.04, I'd do a fresh install (meerkats scare me...)