PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i think its a virus hango9ver

zamboney1
August 25th, 2010, 04:12 AM
hi,

i just installed ubuntu o9n a co9mputer i bo9ught at a yardsale. i have no9 idea what its do9ing, but this keybo9ard wo9rks fine with my o9ther linux machine. he said it wo9rked fine running windo9ws befo9re i purchased, but when i went back and spo9ke with him he said he had so9me keybo9ard pro9blems recently but assumed it was the keybo9ard. i am getting the feeling it was a virus and no9w i have installed ubuntu o9ver to9p o9f it. can anyo9ne get me started it addressing thisvcfde is it a lo9st causevcfde.

stinkeye
August 25th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Lo9o9ks o9k to9 me.

Veovis Muad'dib
August 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I know for a fact that it is not a virus, unless you installed Ubuntu inside of Windows.

What kind of keyboard is it? If it is a USB (Connector is rectangular and has a smaller rectangle inside it) keyboard, I have no idea, if it is a PS2 (Connector is round and has several pins in it) keyboard, then it could be the port.

howefield
August 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM
can anyo9ne get me started it addressing thisvcfde is it a lo9st causevcfde.

Assuming this isn't a joke thread.

Have you prised the affected key cap from the keyboard, might be "stuck" with some junk.

In any event, you are probably better of with a new keyboard/mouse. A pint of Domestos wouldn't get me to use someone elses keyboard.

Veovis Muad'dib
August 25th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Assuming this isn't a joke thread.

I'm making the same assumption, but if it is a joke, it'll get worse until it's obvious. If it's not, then they are going to be offended at us not taking them seriously. So let's assume at this point that it is not a joke.

Grenage
August 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM
hi,

i just installed ubuntu o9n a co9mputer i bo9ught at a yardsale. i have no9 idea what its do9ing, but this keybo9ard wo9rks fine with my o9ther linux machine. he said it wo9rked fine running windo9ws befo9re i purchased, but when i went back and spo9ke with him he said he had so9me keybo9ard pro9blems recently but assumed it was the keybo9ard. i am getting the feeling it was a virus and no9w i have installed ubuntu o9ver to9p o9f it. can anyo9ne get me started it addressing thisvcfde is it a lo9st causevcfde.

Possibility A): Your computer is possessed by Lucifer; burn it now, while you still can.

Possibility B): There is a physical fault with the keyboard; check the keys, or replace it.

DrMelon
August 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Possibility C): You have built your computer on a sacred burial ground.

Grenage
August 25th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I hate it when that happens, the disgruntled dead can be so inconsiderate.

kgas
August 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
If it is a laptop try with an external key board. Since o and 9 are near by on pressing o 9 also get entered. or remove the particular key cap clean and fix it back.

zamboney1
August 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
hmmm,

thanks fo9r yo9ur replies. unfo9tunately it is no9t the keybo9ard- which w9orks just fine o9n o9ther co9mputers. there is no9t, no9r has there ever been anything sacred abo9ut my ho9use o9r the gro9nd its built o9n, so9me examples o9f this nuissance;

shift key vcfde
co9ntro9l key <xzsa
functio9n key 7
the o9ther co9nto9l key is f7

:confused: its o9bno9xio9us

ronnielsen1
August 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Possibility A): Your computer is possessed by Lucifer; burn it now, while you still can.

There is a lot of upside down 6's 999

Spice Weasel
August 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Have you got the correct keyboard layout set for your location? (or the location the keyboard was bought)

ankspo71
August 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM
hi,

Does the virtual keyboard work well? (the keyboard that is displayed on the screen for accessibility purposes) If not, then it could be a keyboard layout problem. Here is a command to configure the layout.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
If you are unsure of what to answer, you can leave some of the answers as the default choices. There should also be a graphical keyboard layout chooser in your system menu too.

On the other hand, if the same keyboard works fine on other computers, but not on the yard sale computer with windows and Linux, I sort of have a feeling the the port where it connects to on the computer might be going bad. If you are using a PS2 keyboard try using a USB keyboard instead (or vice versa).
Hope this helps.

zamboney1
August 28th, 2010, 11:33 PM
hi,

thanks everyo9ne fo9r yo9ur suggestio9ns. i have tried mo9st o9f these things previo9sly and still no9 luck. i am co9nvinced it is no9t related to9 the keybo9ard itself . . . im pretty sure there was a virus o9n the co9mputer befo9re installing ubuntu - i sho9uld have addressed the pro9blem then but unfo9rtunately did no9t take the time to9 do9 so9. po9o9

Alere123
August 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Its not a virus, I thinks its dirty keyboard caps aswell or this is a joke thread :L

xircon
August 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
¿ʇsɐǝq (uʍop ǝpısdn) ǝɥʇ ɟo ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ 999

cascade9
August 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM
hi,

thanks everyo9ne fo9r yo9ur suggestio9ns. i have tried mo9st o9f these things previo9sly and still no9 luck. i am co9nvinced it is no9t related to9 the keybo9ard itself . . . im pretty sure there was a virus o9n the co9mputer befo9re installing ubuntu - i sho9uld have addressed the pro9blem then but unfo9rtunately did no9t take the time to9 do9 so9. po9o9

The chance of some windows virus infecting ubuntu and then making your keyboard dodgy is so low its not funny.

If its not the actual keyboard, its the port (PS/2 or USB). Try using a USB keyboard if you are currently using a PS2, or change the USB port it is plugged into if you are currently using a USB keyboard.

Grenage
August 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Yup, there's no chance of a virus causing this; regardless of how much you "don't think it's the keyboard", it is.

Rhubarb
August 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM
It's easy to test.

Firstly, you need to find out whether it's a hardware or a software issue.

To test if it's a software issue:
Pop in a live Ubuntu CD / USB stick, boot off it, then do some typing.
If it types fine, then it's a software issue (could just be a mis-configured configuration file, who knows)

To test if it's a hardware issue:
Grab another known working keyboard, and plug that into your troublesome computer.
If it types fine, then it's a hardware issue.
If it doesn't type fine, try grabbing a known working usb keyboard and plug it into different usb ports and test again.

If neither of these fixes the problem, then it's a hardware issue. - You'll have to do some more digging to find out exactly what it is.

I very much doubt it's a virus, because thinking so would be jumping to very unlikely conclusions. Regardless, you need to find out whether it's a hardware or a software issue.

realzippy
August 29th, 2010, 01:28 PM
maybe you should change your keyboard layout for further tests...

System/Preferences/Keyboard

VanillaMozilla
August 29th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Rhubarb has figured it out accurately. Go to message 19 and do what he says.

john_spiral
September 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
keyboard num lock?