PDA

View Full Version : using a cellphone to connect to the internet

KEE
August 25th, 2010, 03:31 AM
friends,
I want to know is it possible to use my cellphone's wifi connection to the internet, which is connected to my laptop via bluetooth, to connect my laptop to the internet? does lucid have problems doing this? i want to know if anyone tried before. thanks

kee

earthpigg
August 25th, 2010, 05:12 AM
it depends on the phone.

my sisters Android phone, for example, is her computer's primary connection to the internet.

mendhak
August 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Depending on your phone, you can tether it. If it's Android, there are different ways. On Android 2.2, you can set up an ad-hoc wireless hotspot on the phone and have your laptop connect to it. On pre-Android 2.2, you can get an app called proxoid but then you'll need to get the Android SDK and use a tool called 'adb' to forward requests to the phone. Or, you can root the phone and install one of the several market apps that create wireless hotspots for you.

3rdalbum
August 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Do you want to use your cellular internet connection on your computer? I have an Android 2.1 phone that allows tethering over USB. I don't know about Bluetooth.

You might want to clean up your post a bit, it's a bit confusing to read because you mention wifi when you actually mean cellular internet.

Paqman
August 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Check your phone contract too. You might be in breach of it if you tether. I suspect the mobile companies overlook minor use, but if you start consuming a lot of bandwidth they might take a different line.

formaldehyde_spoon
August 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Do you want to use your cellular internet connection on your computer? I have an Android 2.1 phone that allows tethering over USB. I don't know about Bluetooth.

You might want to clean up your post a bit, it's a bit confusing to read because you mention wifi when you actually mean cellular internet.

Yar, +1. A pet hate.