PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Techsavvy?

razorboy5
August 25th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Hey

I'm moving into a house with a few friends in a few weeks and Techsavvy is one of the ISPs I'm considering on getting for the 8months of school year (love the fact it has no contracts)

however I have little experience with internet and such and decided to ask the most techy group of ppl i know. Techsavvy offers DSL (5M/800k) for around 40/month and Cable (10M/1M with 200gb bw cap) for around the same price. Which do u think is the better offer? We'll most likely have 2-3 playstations going at same time and not sure if 5M/800k is enough to run without lag however I am loving the no cap (since I've been screwed on multiple occasions by bigger ISPs)

Also I'm very confused about DSL (my whole life i've been using cable) as it uses phone lines does that mean it does not require a modem but rather just a router?

Thx for any info

Maverick_Meerkat
August 25th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Greetings,

DSL will indeed require a modem, but that should be supplied to you by the ISP. Additionally, it will require filters to be placed on all the active telephones which utilize that particular line. Those too should be supplied by the ISP. Generally, the modem and filters are provided free of charge or are included in the initial setup/installation cost.

Sorry, I can't answer your questions about Techsavvy in particular. Nor do I know how much bandwidth would suit your needs. I'm not a gamer. So, I'm painfully ignorant of what demands your multiple gaming platforms will place on the network. I'm certain someone will be able to provide the information you seek.

razorboy5
August 25th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Thx Maverick for a reply

I was confused since on the Teksavvy website, upon a DSL order u have an option to buy a Linksys WRT54GL router. Was confused as to why a dsl was packaged with a router instead of a modem and maybe thought dsl runs through router rather than modem :P

doing some extra research with my pal google finding alot of installation problems. If anyone using teksavvy or have experience with them could comment i'd really appretiate it thx

kanem
August 25th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I'm with Teksavvy now. I have the DSL version with the 5M speed and 200GB/month cap. I've never gone over it, and I really do get the advertised speed when I'm torrenting something. I'm downtown. Maybe other places have slower speeds.

I have no complaints. The biggest problem was that my apartment didn't actually have a working phone connection, and they had to send someone from Bell to fix it. I also have to pay an extra 7 bucks for the dry-loop line, since I don't have a telephone line. I don't know why, but it's still a better deal than Rogers or Bell.

I bought my own router, just some cheap, but recommended thing from my favourite local tech shop, and it works fine.

Once in a while I'll get an email from them about some planned outage or slowdown due to some hardware tinkering on their part, but I've never actually noticed the outage.

If you do go with them, be aware that Bell (those dirty so and sos) slowed down the speed of *Teksavvy* user's torrents during "peak hours". I don't know if they still do that, since utorrent gets around it.

cariboo
August 25th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Here in BC both Telus DSL and Shaw Cable use combo modem/routers, most of the Telus DSL installs I've seen here use a 2Wire modem/router, and Shaw uses Dlink modem/routers.