PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have actually tried KDE 4?

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 02:08 AM
The reason I ask is because, well, I'm using Maverick Meerkat and the newest incarnation of KDE 4 is just... amazing. The last one blew me away, the version included in Ubuntu 10.04. Last time I tried it before that was 9.04 for about a day, and gave up.

But really, this one's amazing. Extra features, everything seems even easier to work with, and the tooltips are round and gorgeous, instead of the flat borders that used to be there. Now every single part of the interface is just ridiculously polished, AND it all interacts instantly on my hardware, even without NVIDIA's proprietary driver installed. Everything's snappy and immediate. It's like a miracle.

I can't overstate my satisfaction. I'm just wondering, though, how many people would really understand the KDE perspective? After getting to grips with KDE 4, we all know just how not Windows-like it really is. I just hate when people tell me that's the reason people start using it, since it's not even close in my personal experience.

I just really like pretty things, and things with rounded edges, and things that react with tactile feedback, and things that have deep functionality. I just love KDE, although I love Gnome as well for different reasons.

I don't mean for this to be a debate. I just want to see how many people have actually tried it, since I notice that KDE has degraded visiblity in the Ubuntu community (largest Linux community I'm aware of) and it deserves as much a place as Gnome and GTK. I just suspect that a lot of people avoid it without ever trying it out.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 25th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Just today I've been playing with it. I like parts of it, but the parts I don't like, I REALLY don't like. I was using Suse which I'm not a huge fan of anyway. Maybe I should try a different distro but the problem is, I really only like Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu and I don't like any of their implementations of KDE.

I should specify that I've used it in the past as well and it's never really grown on me. This might be a shallow thing, but one of the things I really hate in KDE is input boxes and tabs. They look ugly and disproportionate to me. It ruins the experience for me. (that and the myriad of settings everywhere). The menus are too busy for me.

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I've used recent versions of openSUSE and I don't see any differences in their KDE than Ubuntu's, other than the theming and default applications. I would assume that, as openSUSE is a KDE-centric distro, it probably has a few improvements I'm unaware of.

I'd really like to hear more about the things you don't like. If they're bugs, that'd be good. Some people just aren't the KDE-type, however. That's why we have choices, but if it's a serious issue with functionality, I'd like to know what I won't be looking forward to and when to expect a fix/report it.

It seems like they're pulling together a bit more effort for this release than they usually do. 10.04, especially, had very little change (as it should be with an LTS, meant for stability not new features) compared to Ubuntu 10.04. It was basically just a package update. Then again, I think this may be because KDE provides Ubuntu users what they'd like, so there are little changes to be made, while Ubuntu has their own notifications and applets for Gnome, since Gnome doesn't provide the nifty functionality.

I noticed there's a messaging indicator in KDE now, though, and Ubuntu One support coming. Exciting.

uRock
August 25th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I tried it via Kubuntu and Fedora and both times I got burnt out by the end of the week. Too much work to make it look good, then having to acquire working equivalents to the flawless programs in Ubuntu(gnome). I'd rather spend the time in Ubuntu using stuff that works great and still looks better than my Windows installs.

If Kubuntu or Fedora(KDE) made a cleaner looking default theme, then when I try it again I might like it.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I tried it via Kubuntu and Fedora and both times I got burnt out by the end of the week. Too much work to make it look good, then having to acquire working equivalents to the flawless programs in Ubuntu(gnome). I'd rather spend the time in Ubuntu using stuff that works great and still looks better than my Windows installs.

If Kubuntu or Fedora(KDE) made a cleaner looking default theme, then when I try it again I might like it.
Yes, for example a lot of people had problems with Suse's version of NetworkManager. It wouldn't connect to hidden networks, or WPA. I've had problems with Kubuntu's in the past. Also KPackagekit. It just has never worked well.

The hidden network was a problem for me, because my landlord who we get our internet through, requires a hidden network.

modmadmike
August 25th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I used to love KDE in the 3.X (I think 3.4 was the las time I used it as my main wm) stage, but the recent versions are not as stable for me as gnome or xfce, plasma crashed on my really often lol

PS. I was reminded of my kde days while I was writing this because a Creative Commans song I was listening to had remixed the frozen bubble sounds (Funky Branas by Quantica)... Irony at its best :P

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Hah, nice. Well, it's worked really well for me on a bit older hardware, but I think it's not the minimum requirements that get people- it's that it just runs plain better on newer stuff (2003 and on, when 512 MB of RAM or higher was standard). KDE 4 runs really well on these computers, but I really hope they start to target the optimizations toward the 256 MB user, like Gnome does.

This is actually the first version of Kubuntu where KDE 4 is just as snappy as Gnome, instead of snappier in some ways and jilted in others. I'm very pleased with it.

Um, the theme looks great, too. The only thing that bugs me is that all Gnome applications don't automatically have the radial gradient taken off, since it makes those applications look chunked together. This is fairly easy to do, but if you have tons of Gnome applications in KDE, the flat corners will start getting on your nerves every time you use one.

By contrast, Gnome can easily flatten the corners of KDE, as KDE has always supported flat edges (lol).

I hope GTK 3 supports radial gradients and round menus, even if they're not used by default. Unity seems to have preliminary support for this kind of menu, although I don't know if it uses Gnome for it at all.

In this release, using Gnome applications is seeming less a downside than it used to. It's really a better experience if you're willing to use KDE applications, and not have to deal with the somewhat fugly Gnome theme issues.

Amarok 2.3.1 is the best media player I've ever used, by the way.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 25th, 2010, 02:39 AM
--
I assure you my machine eats the minimum requirements alive. ;)

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 02:41 AM
P.S. I've only used the KDE 3 series once, and it was with NoMachine's demo of NX. I liked it just fine, and I imagine KDE 4 was a gigantic change, especially since for the first couple versions some of the stuff that was common in 3.5 just didn't exist yet.

Today, though, it's dead simple to make KDE 4 look and act just like KDE 3.5. But those users tend to think, "what's the point of doing that?" You know, because KDE 4 is prettier? :D

But really, the classic menu, desktop, and program integration is back. Also, in Maverick, Nepomuk runs very well and Krunner doesn't seem to have any issues anymore. Pretty nice for what was already an amazing DE. I'd like to see Windows search my metadata so easily.

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Lol, so does mine, but I used another with 512 MB of RAM just to make sure things run well. I really want to get a 256 MB laptop, since FreeNX works so well for me, and I'd like to test the programs I make on that kind of hardware (it's basically the minimum before you start dabbling in Window Managers, of which e17 is the most viable for eye-candy).

Issue is that you literally can't find a laptop with that low of specs that isn't an older EeePC or about to breathe its last breath. And if you can, it costs about the same as the 512ers.

I guess I'll just use top and debug like crazy. :P

Dustin2128
August 25th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I use it as my primary DE in slack, but I unfortunately cannot use it now because my slackware partition became unstable, I mean even worse than kubuntu is. Going to reinstall tonight. Anyway, I love the integration of wonderful effects and the degree of customization that's possible.

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I know there are many reasons to use Slackware, aside from the fact that it's like, the original distro. What are some of the benefits that you specifically appreciate most?

P.S. I like your dark theme. Personally, my favorite dark color scheme is Mustadesk. My favorite light theme is probably Oxygen Platinum, although normal Oxygen is easier to tell elements apart with the blue. Just wish the blue were grey as to look better with more themes. I can't see how OS X users deal with all the blue.

schtufbox
August 25th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Been using KDE 4.4 now 4.5 as my main DE for a few weeks.
Liking it a lot :)
I HATED KDE 4 when it was first released, it seemed a step backwards..nowadays it's great.

Perhaps I shall think the same of Gnome Shell after a few iterations hehe.

FuturePilot
August 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I've tried it many many times, but certain things really annoy me to the point where I could never use it as my desktop environment even though there are some things I really like about it.

Legendary_Bibo
August 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM
For me KDE was too loaded with options, and I didn't like how they placed everything. I didn't quite get the invisible file explorer window with a menu that popped out of the side. It looked pretty and I'm sure I could make it look nice, but I've finally settled on a theme. Oh the airlines theme has rounded buttons and I think menu. I don't know I just use gnomenu.

handy
August 25th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I tried it via KDEmod on Arch.

I still find any version of KDE to be too much for me.

It reminds me of windows too much, & I never liked windows.

I'm an Openbox user, so I obviously like it simple; I'm also happy using the Terminal for odds & sods.

A squillion menus, icons all over the place, & panels everywhere is confusing for me.

The KISS principle suits me 'cause I'm obviously stupid. :p

lovinglinux
August 25th, 2010, 04:00 AM
KDE is wonderful. I have been using it as my only DE since Karmic. I have some Ubuntu versions with Gnome on virtual machines for testing/support and every time I launch Gnome is a pain for me. I'm not saying Gnome is bad, it just doesn't fulfill my needs and doesn't look as good as KDE.

cascade9
August 25th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Been using KDE4.X on and off since it came out. I loved KDE3.X, and at first I wasnt impressed with KDE4.X, but every revision seems to get a lot beter.

KDE4.0 was a mess, 4.1 better, around 4.2/4.3 is became much more useable. KDE4.4 is as far as I've gone, and probable will be as far as I go untill debain squeeze goes to 'stable' and gets things moving again.

I wouldnt say that KDE4 is my 'primary desktop' exactly, I have a few computers and most of them run Xfce. It is my only installed DE on my main computer however, so its pretty close.

Too much work to make it look good, then having to acquire working equivalents to the flawless programs in Ubuntu(gnome). I'd rather spend the time in Ubuntu using stuff that works great and still looks better than my Windows installs.

IIRC every revision of KDE4 gets easier to play with the appearance. That could be in part that I've got more used to playing with KDE4.X however.....

If you've got gtk apps you like, you can use them on KDE4.X without a problem. I use deluge, mainly because I like it much more than Ktorrent, exaile (sometimes) because I havent found a music player I like that is qt based. Yes, yes, I know, put me in the 'very picky' pile. I got spolied by foobar, none of the linux players even come close IMO.

Hah, nice. Well, it's worked really well for me on a bit older hardware, but I think it's not the minimum requirements that get people- it's that it just runs plain better on newer stuff (2003 and on, when 512 MB of RAM or higher was standard). KDE 4 runs really well on these computers, but I really hope they start to target the optimizations toward the 256 MB user, like Gnome does.

Why bother going for 256MB? Anything in any way modern can run at least 512MB of RAM, and RAM is cheap. There are already more than enough 'light' DEs/WMs out there, KDE4.X doesnt need to play that game, and IMO it shouldnt.

Not that its that much of a RAM pig anyway, I *think* that my 64bit KDE4.4 install idles at about 120MB. I cant check that right now, the monitor for my main desktop has blown, and I cant be bothered to swap monitors around from here to there when I've got other machines that are running and already setup.

*note to self- get onto getting the monitor back. If my stupid brother in law hasnt fixed the capacitors in a few days, I'll have to do it myself.....hes had the thing for weeks but cant be bothered to do the resoldering. To much time on the lounge with a bourbon + coke and a bong for him.....*

BTW, in my playing around, KDE4 seems a lot more video card dependant than RAM dependant. It seemed to run a lot better on a Athlon 2100+, 512MB and GF6600GT than it did on a P4 2.53, 1GB and a GF4MX440.

libssd
August 25th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I haven't tried Meerkat yet, but I did a test install of openSUSE today with the KDE option. The desktop was very pretty, but I was totally mystified by the UI, which I found completely opaque. After 15 minutes of trying (and failing) to figure out how to establish a secure connection with my wireless router, I gave up, and re-installed openSUSE with the Gnome option, which connected successfully the first time I entered my security key.

Based on this experience, I will never try KDE again. I'm sure that with familiarity many people swear by KDE, but I found it totally alien and unintuitive, and mostly swore at it.

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hm. When I had it on my netbook a long time ago (9.04) the wireless connection was just as simple to set up as in Gnome. Just click the network thingy, then click on the connection.

I've heard, however, that if you have a more complex than normal network, or a hidden network, it doesn't work quite so well as Gnome. I haven't encountered this yet, but may in the near future.

That networking issue aside, though, I do realize that KDE takes a bit more time to learn than Gnome. This is because Gnome is made to be dead simple, and in that it has great power, as well as some walls you hit and just go 'eh, whatever'. These things aren't necessary functionality, but things that are very nice to have regardless.

For the options KDE provides, it has a very well organized layout. Also, since it optimizes and utilizes search, if you're willing to just type a word referring to the setting you're looking for, you're bound to find it.

I can see why people say it reminds them too much of Windows (Vista, probably, with the search and kickstart). However, as I've used OS X quite a bit, I honestly see far more similarities between OS X and KDE 4 than Windows and KDE 4. Especially since the UI and utilities are just far better integrated, similar to OS X, and well... everything just makes sense, for the wealth of options.

It would be cool to have a panel widget for Applications/Places/System just to make people comfortable, though. I don't see why not have this. I mean, really, Windows, Gnome, and OS X are a lot less customizable than KDE 4. KDE 4 is like water, it can take any shape and form. None of my set ups have reminded me of Windows, unless you're talking about the desktop paradigm of window management and in general using panels, graphics, and text to help you find your way around.

This is just how things work. The only way it could really change a lot would be to make windows in the shapes of circles or triangles, which would be asburd to use. Really, you have to consider how many variations are available in a mouse/keyboard driven OS.

KDE is meant to be customized. The ability to change everything is, in my mind, the main feature. (I don't disagree with any of the points presented, of course- I can be pretty stupid, too XD)

handy
August 25th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I can see why people say it reminds them too much of Windows (Vista, probably, with the search and kickstart). However, as I've used OS X quite a bit, I honestly see far more similarities between OS X and KDE 4 than Windows and KDE 4. Especially since the UI and utilities are just far better integrated, similar to OS X, and well... everything just makes sense, for the wealth of options.

My main machine is an 07 iMac. So I'm all too familiar with OS X, & its many & oft very serious flaws.

I don't like (OS X, that is) at all (beyond it being the best place for non-technical computer users to reside due to its over all simplistic & consistent method of use in combination with the security advantage that it has over the windows).

I recommend that anyone who does buy a Mac, buy one with a small screen if they want to run OS X, otherwise don't worry about it, as you can size all of the fonts if you run a Linux distro or a BSD.

Ms_Angel_D
August 25th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I've been using Kubuntu since hardy. I tried to go back to gnome, just recently in fact, But after using KDE for long it just felt too limiting. KDE is very easy to customize I don't even need to open a browser to download more plasma-themes, color-schemes, wallpapers, widgets, or splash screens. I love how I can make it look exactly how I want.

I always replace the default menu with lancelot, My desktop folder gets moved to my panel and serves a quick-launch, I also put the trash on my panel, so the only thing on my desktop is widgets.

With KDE 4.5, firefox integration (something that was always a sore spot for kde fans) means firefox works well these days and makes it look great. Even open office has some kde theme integration.

To be honest I really can't find any reason to complain about kde as it suits me and my needs quit well.

I forgot to mention the other I like about using Kubuntu is no pulseaudio to deal with :D

ElSlunko
August 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I was hopping back in forth when I was first trying out Ubuntu then I stuck to gnome for a good two years. Just last week I messed up my video drivers pretty bad and I could not for the life of me get them to work so I reinstalled and decided to go (k)ubuntu this time. So far so good, loving it and the improvements over the last 4.x I tried (I think it was 4.2).

aladinonl
August 25th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I'd been a long loyal fan of minimalist DE. Until half a year ago I got a new powerful laptop, I tried KDE 4 and instantly felt like home. All the features that I'd been wondered why had never implemented in other DEs were there in KDE. Plus, the two apps that I use alot, Opera and VLC, are better integrated in KDE.

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 06:52 AM
There are two kinds of minimalism that, in many cases, overlap.

Visual minimism, and using minimal resources (this doesn't only apply to computing).

I'm more of a visual minimist- it's all about the functionality. And, unless I'm screwing with options all day, there is hardly any text or inconsistency in my KDE environment to get in my eye's way. It's very easy to look at, especially since everything is rounded now, including tooltips.

This way, your eyes aren't caught off guard by having a round window border, round buttons, and totally square edges on everything else. It's just a lot easier to look at, which is one key element to minimalism.

Also, even though it could be argued that KDE 4 is the heaviest desktop environment available for Linux, it's about on par with Gnome with Compiz. Especially if you consider that, to get the functionality provided by default in KDE 4, you need to get screenlets, Gnome-DO, and many times Emerald for a smoother window border than what metacity can provide. Also, since KDE is so integrated, many actions and programs take less time to complete and open.

Qt itself is a very nice piece of technology. VLC, which is possibly one of the most popular open source programs, uses it primarily.

Anyway, I've totally got to agree with the ability to automatically get content from kde-look.org for any application. Seriously, icon themes, splash themes, color schemes, plasma, kopete chat themes, workspace plugins, amarok scripts, etc. etc. The personalization is endless, and immediate.

Seriously, I really want a menu with applications/places/system on the panel, just to make it obvious how versatile KDE is to Gnome users. Anyone willing to make it? I guess I could XD.

malspa
August 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I chose the second option in the poll, but I didn't feel that any of the choices really fit my situation. I have a few different distros installed, and I use them all, and I don't really have a primary DE.

I added PCLinuxOS KDE 2010.07 and I've been using it almost exclusively for the past week. It shipped with KDE 4.4.5 but there were updates to KDE 4.5.0 so I brought 'em in.

I'm really loving it, although not everything is perfect. I've had a few crashes with Dolphin, and a lot of crashes with Amarok and JuK. I've seen a few other glitches as well. But overall, I think it's a great DE that will only get better.

CraigPaleo
August 25th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I tried 4.2 but didn't like it. Recently I decided to give 4.4 a try and it's been my primary DE ever since.

It's faster than Gnome on my machine. I like the configurability and the cleanliness. This version has also been rock stable for me - unlike 4.2

I'd also like to see an Applications, places, system widget but I get something similar by using the classic menu style K menu, a dolphin launcher and a system settings launcher on the panel.

And it just looks good; modern. No matter how I tried to theme Gnome, I could never seem to get it to look quite like what I wanted.

nrs
August 25th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Though KDE 3.X was my first serious Linux DE I never actually liked it that much. I was primarily a GNOME user until KDE 4.3, then I began to switch back and forth. It's been my main desktop since 4.4.

mips
August 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM
If you like KDE look at the Bespin theme, nice and clean.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Bespin?content=63928
http://techsnap.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,260.0.html

smellyman
August 25th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I keep hearing how KDE is getting better so I keep trying the latest builds and latest distro implementations.

Every time it is just as nauseating as I remember.

It's just not for me. XFCE, Gnome, LXDE, Openbox, Fluxbox, anything but KDE.

handy
August 26th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I've been using Kubuntu since hardy. I tried to go back to gnome, just recently in fact, But after using KDE for long it just felt too limiting. KDE is very easy to customize I don't even need to open a browser to download more plasma-themes, color-schemes, wallpapers, widgets, or splash screens. I love how I can make it look exactly how I want.

I always replace the default menu with lancelot, My desktop folder gets moved to my panel and serves a quick-launch, I also put the trash on my panel, so the only thing on my desktop is widgets.

With KDE 4.5, firefox integration (something that was always a sore spot for kde fans) means firefox works well these days and makes it look great. Even open office has some kde theme integration.

To be honest I really can't find any reason to complain about kde as it suits me and my needs quit well.

I forgot to mention the other I like about using Kubuntu is no pulseaudio to deal with :D

You can imagine how much all of that appeals to me when you see the screenshot of my desktop. :)

Different strokes for different folks & all that.

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Just today I've been playing with it. I like parts of it, but the parts I don't like, I REALLY don't like. I was using Suse which I'm not a huge fan of anyway. Maybe I should try a different distro but the problem is, I really only like Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu and I don't like any of their implementations of KDE.

I should specify that I've used it in the past as well and it's never really grown on me. This might be a shallow thing, but one of the things I really hate in KDE is input boxes and tabs. They look ugly and disproportionate to me. It ruins the experience for me. (that and the myriad of settings everywhere). The menus are too busy for me.

I feel the same way. Suse does a good implementation of KDE but their Gnome version is lacking...totally opposite to Ubuntu.

I might try out KDE on the new release, but I was never really a fan of KDE. I like how it looks but not how the menus function.

MasterNetra
August 26th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I have, with Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, Opensuse, and a few others. It looks nice, but its just not for me. Kpackage manager for Kubuntu Lucid sucks, It works right the first time I use it, but becomes useless. It doesn't ask for permissions, after the first time (or second if lucky) it fails to even start installation of selected files...I end up having to install synaptic via apt-get. For me choosing not to use kwallet results in no wireless usage, no matter how many times i put in the connection password it refuses to connect. As for the other KDE Distros, they have their aspects I simply don't like and don't like enough to use/put up with on a daily bases and getdeb and PPA's and the large repository of easy access software keep me on Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivatives. (On PinguyOS 10.04.1.1 i686+pae)

libssd
August 26th, 2010, 02:04 AM
For me choosing not to use kwallet results in no wireless usage, no matter how many times i put in the connection password it refuses to connect....
Misery loves company. At least now I know that I'm not the only one unable to connect, and at least now I know why at a certain level.

BrokenKingpin
August 26th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I used 4.2 as my main DE for a few months, then went back to Gnome. I switched back simply because I like it more.

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I initially chose GNOME because it reminded me of fantasy novel characters, but I am glad I did because its a bit more user friendly.

Some people really like KDE. I guess there are advantages to it, like more options for people who love tweaking their system, but I would want either a huge monitor or dual monitors to make it work.

inobe
August 26th, 2010, 04:46 AM
4.5 here, a desktop isn't a desktop without kde "personal preference" though gnome can look sharp and function quite well "no complaints" however choice is what it's all about, without that we are stuck with one boring thing.

Rondonjin
August 26th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Don't like the way Gnome is heading and it's beginning to look long in the tooth. Used it since Fedora 5 (before that Mandrake/Mandriva with KDE 3) Recently switched from Mint 8 Gnome to Mint 9 KDE (updated to 4.5) and now starting to feel at home :D

cascade9
August 26th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I initially chose GNOME because it reminded me of fantasy novel characters, but I am glad I did because its a bit more user friendly.

Some people really like KDE. I guess there are advantages to it, like more options for people who love tweaking their system, but I would want either a huge monitor or dual monitors to make it work.

I dont quite 'get' this- surely the stock KDE single panel setup uises less screen real estate than the gnome 2 panel setup?

Personally, I never liked 2 panel setups. They take up to much space, and with widescreen monitors now about all you can get, 2 panel setups use more of that valuable vertical space.

Ohh well, like Handy said-

BTW, Why is your clock wrong by 12 hrs?

Legendary_Bibo
August 26th, 2010, 06:50 AM
You can imagine how much all of that appeals to me when you see the screenshot of my desktop. :)

A true minimalist doesn't even use a DE...or a monitor...or a mouse. Only a keyboard and the unit.

It makes Wine work perfectly though. You can play the latest and greatest Windows games in ultra maxed out settings at 2,000,000 frames a second, and 3D.

v1ad
August 26th, 2010, 06:55 AM
used it here and there... the problem is; is that i am way to used to gnome and switching is harder.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 26th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I just wanted to go on the record saying that I've changed my tune. Currently using Kubuntu 10.04 and not only am I impressed with Kubuntu's progress, KDE runs just swell. I still have the minor wireless problem but I learned a nifty bash command that took care of it :)

v1ad
August 26th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I just wanted to go on the record saying that I've changed my tune. Currently using Kubuntu 10.04 and not only am I impressed with Kubuntu's progress, KDE runs just swell. I still have the minor wireless problem but I learned a nifty bash command that took care of it :)

what command?

malspa
August 26th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Personally, I never liked 2 panel setups. They take up to much space, and with widescreen monitors now about all you can get, 2 panel setups use more of that valuable vertical space.

I don't like them, either. In GNOME, I either get rid of one of the panels or set one to auto-hide.

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I set the panels to transparent and keep the bottom one closed and open it only when I need advanced options, then use a dock with intellihide. It doesnt take up much room. I have the television and now a second monitor....one wide monitor and one square one. I like the 3d effects of compiz.

I would really prefer to be using E17 Endomorph with Nautilus, but I dont know how to replace file managers yet and there are still some bugs with E17 that make certain apps not work properly.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 26th, 2010, 08:43 AM
what command?

My problem was that it couldn't find hidden networks.

Here's the command where HIDDEN_SSID is the actual name of the network:

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan essid HIDDEN_SSID

Create the network settings using the regular network manager, run that, and then from then on you should connect automatically as long as you set the network manager to remember the network.

aladinonl
August 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
My problem was that it couldn't find hidden networks.

Here's the command where HIDDEN_SSID is the actual name of the network:

Create the network settings using the regular network manager, run that, and then from then on you should connect automatically as long as you set the network manager to remember the network.

Do not use KDE's networkmanager, aka knetworkmanager; but use gnome network manager instead. This is the only aspect KDE needs to beg gnome for.

Install gnome network manager and gnome-keyring. Then append these lines at the end of /etc/pam.d/kdm

auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

Install libpam or something like that if neccessary, but usually it's already there.

m4tic
August 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I haven't been on my desktop in a long while but last i checked it was my default

sidzen
August 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Yup -- tried it (and it was good on Xange) -- but prefer XFCE or LXDE.

murderslastcrow
August 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I quite like light things. Fluxbox in particular is an old favorite of mine, and I use it whenever I want to run a really cranked up 3d demo or something. This is mainly because Fluxbox takes up hardly any RAM, and it's far simpler than creating a startup entry for a single program.

I even have my Fluxbox themed to look like KDE 4 so I can use Qt applications in there without feeling to away from home, and the Fluxbox menu and theme both have rounded menus.

So yeah, as I'm crazy about design, as well as squeezing useful functionality out of things to make my workflow simpler, KDE really appeals to me. I've actually done the whole Classic menu with only applications showing/Dolphin shortcuts/System Preferences menu on the top to emulate Gnome a bit, but seeing as how I'm so crazy about design, it's not exactly as good as it could be. First off, it'd be nice to have words instead of icons up there, having the menus look similar, and to have them all easy to switch between just by moving the mouse over.

That's the main thing I love about Gnome- you can get anywhere in your whole computer with a mere two clicks. I fear Gnome 3 may not be so simple.

Even though Krunner and Gnome-DO let you get to things quicker with your mind, and Krunner has other uses, it still usually takes more than two keypresses, or 'clicks'.

So really, I think the design, new found speed, and features provided in KDE 4 are what keeps me using it. It's all just so good to start with. I think it was a good idea to start over again, so we have good applications around to rival. In Gnome, it seems like there are plenty of programs that could use a revamp, and a friendlier UI.

There are plenty that are just perfect, too. However, I never really find myself testing out different programs in KDE since the defaults are so nice- same with the theming. It's kinda' like what Apple did with OS X. They put so much work into the original applications that they haven't seen an outrageous deal of change, merely optimizations and new features, over the years.

KDE 4 reminds me of Aqua, not in its looks, but in its ability to exude that kind of quality.

Of course, there's no doubt I'll drop into Fluxbox every once in a while. XD

ratcheer
August 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I have used it at work on a Solaris 10 Workstation. It was probably a pretty old version of KDE 4. I used KDE 4 for about a month or two. I didn't like it and went back to CDE.

Tim

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 27th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Do not use KDE's networkmanager, aka knetworkmanager; but use gnome network manager instead. This is the only aspect KDE needs to beg gnome for.

Install gnome network manager and gnome-keyring. Then append these lines at the end of /etc/pam.d/kdm

auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

Install libpam or something like that if neccessary, but usually it's already there.

That works great if you already have an internet connection. The process I listed is for those that have no wireless/wired connection (such as after a clean install of kde).

handy
August 27th, 2010, 11:54 PM
BTW, Why is your clock wrong by 12 hrs?

Stale photo. ;)

handy
August 28th, 2010, 12:08 AM
A true minimalist doesn't even use a DE...or a monitor...or a mouse. Only a keyboard and the unit.

I never said I was a true minimalist.

I just like things the way I like them, simple suits me best.

Having started on the AmigaOS, & like most other Amiga users of that time I ended up doing most everything through Jonathan Potter's magnificent dirutil called Directory Opus (DOpus). Sometime back I found Worker, which was inspired by DOpus v4.

Like DOpus, Worker is extremely configurable so you can to a great degree set it up to look & behave the way you want it to. Once you have it how you like it you can copy the config' file & use it on any other systems you may have or just have it as a backup if you have to reinstall your distro.

I'll attach a photo of my Worker, though it has multiple navigation button panels (lower left most column) which you cycle through with the RMB, & also multiple command button panels, which you cycle through by selecting the bottom info bar. The command buttons with a dog eared top right corner have associated RMB commands underneath.

Legendary_Bibo
August 28th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I never said I was a true minimalist.

I just like things the way I like them, simple suits me best.

Having started on the AmigaOS, & like most other Amiga users of that time I ended up doing most everything through Jonathan Potter's magnificent dirutil called Directory Opus (DOpus). Sometime back I found Worker, which was inspired by DOpus v4.

Like DOpus, Worker is extremely configurable so you can to a great degree set it up to look & behave the way you want it to. Once you have it how you like it you can copy the config' file & use it on any other systems you may have or just have it as a backup if you have to reinstall your distro.

I'll attach a photo of my Worker, though it has multiple navigation button panels (lower left most column) which you cycle through with the RMB, & also multiple command button panels, which you cycle through by selecting the bottom info bar. The command buttons with a dog eared top right corner have associated RMB commands underneath.

Holy crap your tiling WMs actually doesn't look hideous compared to other peoples' tiling WMs. I get why the tiling is great for running servers, but I never could figure out why I see people who insist on using horrible unsmoothed fonts and contrasting colored fonts/backgrounds. It makes me wonder if they see the world like I do.

handy
August 28th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Holy crap your tiling WMs actually doesn't look hideous compared to other peoples' tiling WMs. I get why the tiling is great for running servers, but I never could figure out why I see people who insist on using horrible unsmoothed fonts and contrasting colored fonts/backgrounds. It makes me wonder if they see the world like I do.

You can choose your own colours, fonts, font sizes & there exist multiple kinds of directory/file listing layouts that you can choose from & then start modifying to suit your desires/needs.

Most of this is done through the incorporated configuration GUI section I'll attach an image of it. There exist a huge number of commands that are built into Worker, & you can use scripts & call whatever external app's, tools & utilities you desire as well.

You can use it as an ftp application too, though I've never bothered when I needed to use ftp I used FileZilla (these days I have gFTP installed but I have never needed to use it).

Worker only needs X installed apart from that I don't think it has any dependencies (from memory?).

buntunub
August 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Been using KDE4 since Karmic days. Love it. Using KDE4.5 now on Lucid and its awesome. Very stable nowadays, awesome eye candy via KWin/OpenGL, cool features and tons of widgets and other stuff. Good stuff. Its gonna stay as my primary DE.

Dustin2128
August 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I know there are many reasons to use Slackware, aside from the fact that it's like, the original distro. What are some of the benefits that you specifically appreciate most?

P.S. I like your dark theme. Personally, my favorite dark color scheme is Mustadesk. My favorite light theme is probably Oxygen Platinum, although normal Oxygen is easier to tell elements apart with the blue. Just wish the blue were grey as to look better with more themes. I can't see how OS X users deal with all the blue.
Well, the main reason I use it is stability; for some reason, x/kubuntu are both much less stable than the gnome version (I experience crashes at least 3 times a week [woah its awesome that I find that unstable]) and I prefer to be able to use all desktop environments equally well. Another major reason is that I dislike long dependency lists; I like to know what I'm installing (impractical with some of the more bloated packages *cough*banshee*cough*). Secondarily, it helps to teach you about linux so that its easier to help out on the forums, and kicks up your linux geek level by 2.4 x 10^12. As far as installing, its never been easier as long as you have a gparted live or are comfortable partitioning in the command line. The only problem I've had is dependency hell with banshee (dependency a requires dependency b which requires dependency c which requires dependency a...), but most app installs are fairly easy.

--Mini Slack install tutorial--
boot into a gparted or knoppix (or anything really) livecd.
shrink your 'buntu partition to give your slack partition a comfortable size.
reboot to the slack disk, type setup once you get to the command prompt.
From there, just follow the simple semi-gui interface, and when it gets to the part about installing a bootloader; don't (if you're dual booting with 'buntu or another distro with grub.) if you're single booting, of course, lilo's fine.
Boot into your already installed distro and sudo update-grub. When you reboot, slack will be on the GRUB menu.

I also agree with you on the mac, the themes are like fingernails on a chalkboard but with eyes.

MasterNetra
August 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I don't like them, either. In GNOME, I either get rid of one of the panels or set one to auto-hide.

Why not just set them both to auto-hide to get full screen real-estate?

murderslastcrow
August 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I'm really happy with this community- rather than people brazenly expresses the superiority of their Mac/OSX or PC/Windows, people here are diverse and understand and accept the views of others.

This is part of why the flexibility of Linux and multiple DE's is so crucial- not only does it give each user what they want, respectively, it also prompts users to accept the interface decisions of others and lets everyone have their own unique, usable, well-themed choices for interacting with their computer.

I think this is probably more important than we realize. Many people have never found Windows to be natural, but find Gnome to be perfect. Or some people started with a Mac and find KDE quite a bit more on their side of customization or menu layouts.

I think that DEs and Window Managers of different kinds are meant for different people, and that's their strength. Many people using Windows and OS X for non-platform-specific applications are really losing the ability to make things simpler and more streamlined for their individual tastes, just by simply using a certain DE's defaults, if not customizing them just a tiny bit.

I don't mean that every consumer should be a hacker. But just like you install your own range of applications, the DE should be part of that range people find so important in software.

Also, that tiling window manager is totally copying Aero Snap. When will you freetards learn to stop copying Windows and come up with some original ideas? </sarcasm>

Legendary_Bibo
August 28th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Been using KDE4 since Karmic days. Love it. Using KDE4.5 now on Lucid and its awesome. Very stable nowadays, awesome eye candy via KWin/OpenGL, cool features and tons of widgets and other stuff. Good stuff. Its gonna stay as my primary DE.

Windows should copy KDE, this to me looks like the beauty that aero glass should have been. They need lessen the intensity of their alpha blur then it should be fine.

Legendary_Bibo
August 28th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I'm really happy with this community- rather than people brazenly expresses the superiority of their Mac/OSX or PC/Windows, people here are diverse and understand and accept the views of others.

This is part of why the flexibility of Linux and multiple DE's is so crucial- not only does it give each user what they want, respectively, it also prompts users to accept the interface decisions of others and lets everyone have their own unique, usable, well-themed choices for interacting with their computer.

I think this is probably more important than we realize. Many people have never found Windows to be natural, but find Gnome to be perfect. Or some people started with a Mac and find KDE quite a bit more on their side of customization or menu layouts.

I think that DEs and Window Managers of different kinds are meant for different people, and that's their strength. Many people using Windows and OS X for non-platform-specific applications are really losing the ability to make things simpler and more streamlined for their individual tastes, just by simply using a certain DE's defaults, if not customizing them just a tiny bit.

I don't mean that every consumer should be a hacker. But just like you install your own range of applications, the DE should be part of that range people find so important in software.

Also, that tiling window manager is totally copying Aero Snap. When will you freetards learn to stop copying Windows and come up with some original ideas? </sarcasm>

If I could change the look, and DE then I'm sure anyone could. :D

On a side note does anyone know how I could get the KDE without any user applications? Last time I did it I ended up with the mouse cursor being stuck as the KDE one while in gnome, and my applications menu grew significantly.

CraigPaleo
August 28th, 2010, 07:21 AM
If I could change the look, and DE then I'm sure anyone could. :D

On a side note does anyone know how I could get the KDE without any user applications? Last time I did it I ended up with the mouse cursor being stuck as the KDE one while in gnome, and my applications menu grew significantly.

I think you want kde-core. Check out this link: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde-core#otherways

Dustin2128
August 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Windows should copy KDE, this to me looks like the beauty that aero glass should have been. They need lessen the intensity of their alpha blur then it should be fine.
They pretty much ripped of kde 3's look & feel (though not quite as nice) with windows 7, but I don't think it'll be looking like kde 4 any time this decade. People think I'm crazy when I tell them that I had a computer looking like 7 (but better) 3 years ago.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX-Zc5tSybMCL2WieiY1OQstttGYLDHk7nU1g84eEYbmUzYh4&t=1&usg=__Rb2KYWMFLbIl6dNighR0t0ZN27c=

LepeKaname
September 7th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I was going to start almost the exact poll by almost the same reasons! :KS

I was a big fan of KDE3 a long time ago and it was my main window manager. However when they release the first version of KDE 4 (was it Intrepid?) It totally sucked, graphics were a mess and totally slow... I was really disappointed (I even added in my signature that I was against KDE4). So I start using Ubuntu (Office) and Xubuntu (Home).

Then something strange happened. I was trying to upgrade my home computer to Lucid and for some strange reason neither Ubuntu or Xubuntu were able to run from the live CD (Lucid) or after its installation (some bug I guess). I still have an old Kubuntu (with KDE3) which I used to be able to login. I tried to backup some files, but as ext4 was not supported then I was unable to mount the drive. So I thought "if Kubuntu Lucid could just let me get into my files, I could backup them and try to install Ubuntu/Xubuntu all over again". As you can see I was not even thinking of actually using Kubuntu, even if it was possible to run it.

I tried the Kubuntu live CD, and for my surprise it ran without any problem. After its installation, everything looks great :D. So I decide to give it a second chance.

My wife was complaining that I messed up the computer and that she wanted the "old" Ubuntu (Gnome) back (as she was already used to it). After using Kubuntu for less than 2 minutes she suddenly stop complaining and actually she was happy with it :) . Now she loves it too! She told me that now she feel really comfortable using it and that it is a lot more better than Windows (she never did that statement before).

I'm really happy too. So I also wanted to know how many people out there has noticed the "NEW" KDE4??

This are some of the things I felt is really cool about KDE4:

1) Widgets (I know, it was a Mac Idea)... But still are really useful and it comes with many cool ones.
2) I like that almost any setting (like windows decoration, backgrounds, widgets, etc) are linked to an online database and you can easily install any of those without having to worry about handling files and settings.
3) Setting multi-screens works out of the box even without NVIDIA drivers and it is very easy to set (no xorg.conf manual modifications are required).

I think those are my TOP 3. There are many other details as pretty interfaces, easy and highly customizable settings, individual wallpapers for each desktop, great KDE software, and much more.

If you haven't tried Kubuntu Lucid yet, try it now! really, try it now!

):P

I forgot to said that I have been using it as the only Window Manager in my home computer for almost a month and a half now and it is very stable.

RiceMonster
September 7th, 2010, 04:29 AM
They pretty much ripped of kde 3's look & feel (though not quite as nice) with windows 7, but I don't think it'll be looking like kde 4 any time this decade. People think I'm crazy when I tell them that I had a computer looking like 7 (but better) 3 years ago.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX-Zc5tSybMCL2WieiY1OQstttGYLDHk7nU1g84eEYbmUzYh4&t=1&usg=__Rb2KYWMFLbIl6dNighR0t0ZN27c=

After looking at that picture, I also think you're crazy.

Legendary_Bibo
September 7th, 2010, 04:49 AM
KDE ripped off Windows 1.0

Lensman
September 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
KDE ripped off Windows 1.0

Heh, subtle, very subtle.;)

KDE is one of those GUI's that I have tried to like, but the reality is that I have used (and loved) Gnome for so long, that KDE is just awkward and non-intuitive for me.