PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can this happen?

rudolfl
August 25th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Hi, all
Does anyone needs a good test engineer? My 4.5yo son does a great job! I am still trying to fix my desktop after he played on my laptop.
Anyway, here is what happened:
Ubuntu 10.04, Gnome.
I started a game of "Battle Tanks" for my 4.5 yo son.
10 minutes later he managed to do something really destructive.
1. Game disappeared and can not be played anymore. When one starts it and goes through first menu, it just exists without warning.
2. Main menu applet disappeared, notification applet and indicator applet disappeared.
3. Garbage bin, workspace switcher disappeared together with the panel they were on. Once panel was recovered, I had to re-popluate it.
4. Network manager applet does not start anymore when PC starts and it is in the list of startup application.

Next thing I did is to create his own account on same laptop -- all is good there, so problem is local to a user account/configuration.
5 minutes later he did same. Game does not start anymore, although applets and panels seem to be intact.

Now, he is a kid without any knowledge of computer. He probably pressed some key combination to cause the issues.
Any ideas how this could happen???
In addition, couple of times he managed to get machine into state where you only have black terminal with single blinking cursor (not a login prompt, just single blinking cursor). ALT+F7 fixes this problem, but I can not understand what did he press to get into this mode.

Rudolf

Gaygerbil
August 25th, 2010, 12:29 AM
He could be removing the applets from the panel on his own. You can just add em' back to the panel you know.

Either way why don't you watch him next time he plays this game?

rudolfl
August 25th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Either way why don't you watch him next time he plays this game?

I plan to. Tried this last time and, of course, he did it just when I looked away.
He would not go and remove applets -- he is only using keyboard playing game. In any case, this would not explain why game doe snot start anymore and what happened to network-manager applet.