PDA

View Full Version : Satoshi Kon has died

NCLI
August 24th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I decided to post this since we have quite a few anime fans here. Truly a sad day. :cry:

Award-Winning Anime Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away
posted on 2010-08-24 15:12 EDT

Director of Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent, Paprika
Jim Vowles, a member of the Otakorp Board of Directors for the Otakon convention, has announced on Tuesday that director Satoshi Kon has passed away. Kon was 47. The staff of Otakon confirmed his passing with MADHOUSE studio founder Masao Maruyama. Maruyama had wrote on his Twitter account on Tuesday night in Japan that an important director of the studio had suddenly passed away. However, Maruyama declined to name the director at the time.

Kon began working as a manga creator on such works as Kaikisen (1990) before deciding to delve into the anime industry with the art design of Hiroyuki Kitakubo and Katsuhiro Otomo's Roujin Z video in 1991. He then worked on the script and art direction of "Magnetic Rose," a segment of Otomo's 1995 science-fiction anthology film Memories.

Kon first drew worldwide attention with his feature film directorial debut, the psychological suspense film Perfect Blue, in 1997. He would follow that with a string of critically acclaimed anime projects: Millennium Actress (2001), Tokyo Godfathers (2003), Paranoia Agent (2004), and Paprika (2006). At the time of his passing, Kon was working at MADHOUSE on a new feature film called Yume-Miru Kikai.

ANN interviewed Kon in 2008 as he was beginning work on Yume-Miru Kikai.
Source (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-24/award-winning-director-satoshi-kon-passes-away)

Goodbye Satoshi. Your movies always managed to make me laugh, cry, and think. That's the best compliment I can think of for an artist.

:cry:

TheNerdAL
August 24th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Rest in Peace Satoshi Kon. :(

johnb820
August 25th, 2010, 12:17 AM
What a legacy of films he has left behind. This is a huge loss and something I was not expecting.

NCLI
August 25th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Me neither. Didn't even know the man was ill.

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I'll cherish his work all the more now, knowing that they are gems. I hope whatever he was working on receives the appropriate attention to add to his collection.

Rest in peace, friend. You opened my eyes.

DOS4dinner
August 25th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Millennium Actress is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Perfect Blue was also great...:cry:

Hopefully his new film (The Dream Machine, I think) will be finished...I love Kon's work. This made me :( in real life.

I hope he went out to this playing in the background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOiaE3jjjjk