PDA

View Full Version : Whose bucket does gdm kick?

A_Nonny_Moose
August 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
When UBUNTU starts gdm, the login screen comes on with the sound of a bucket being kicked. I am just curious enough to ask, what bucket this is?

Is it Apple's apple cart?

Microsoft's bit bucket?

Whose?:p

qamelian
August 24th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Actually, it's a drum being struck.

A_Nonny_Moose
August 25th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Well, maybe its my wonky hearing, but it sounds like a bucket to me. I think a drum roll would have been more appropriate for clarity. Doesn't have to be more than a couple of bars.

murderslastcrow
August 25th, 2010, 01:02 AM
It's not a snare drum, it's a bongo. But I'd like to think it's being struck in a comical fashion, as well. You know, *buduhm, TSS!*

I think it's to startle older people, honestly. And to prompt you to turn your sound down.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 25th, 2010, 02:54 AM
It's not a snare drum, it's a bongo. But I'd like to think it's being struck in a comical fashion, as well. You know, *buduhm, TSS!*

I think it's to startle older people, honestly. And to prompt you to turn your sound down.
You can change the gdm sound. In 10.04 I had a camaro as my background picture and sound effects from Transformers the movie as my login sound. (My favorite was the decepticon signal sound), it just sounds bad-A.

Linye
August 25th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I have the ubuntu studio sound theme and it sounds boring.

A_Nonny_Moose
August 30th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Well, I'm an older people, and I don't find it necessary to adjust my sound level. The idea that anyone would think of discriminating a person's hearing by age is rather off-putting. So I am getting a little silver around the temples, and I do have a 30% hearing loss due to white noise exposure when I was younger, but what makes you think "old folks" react much to silly noises? I think the default bongo is rather chinzy and hope you'll find something better by the release of 10.10. I suggest a nice, clear bell chime, A above middle C would be good. Just strike it, and let it fade naturally.

If you think you touched a nerve, it is because I am late middle age. I will be 73 on my birthday next month. I am planning to outdo my Uncle Jock, who was chopping wood on his hundred and sixth birthday.:P

FuturePilot
August 30th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I think the default bongo is rather chinzy and hope you'll find something better by the release of 10.10. I suggest a nice, clear bell chime, A above middle C would be good. Just strike it, and let it fade naturally.

Soon (http://design.canonical.com/2010/08/ubuntu-needs-a-new-sound-theme/)

Giant Speck
August 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Soon (http://i.imgur.com/VlCUN.jpg)
Fixed.