PDA

View Full Version : Random thought, how did Ubuntu get Rhythmbox installed anyway?

LinuxFox
August 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I was just bored so I downloaded Rhythmbox (same version included) and tried to compile it to my home folder (so I don't overwrite it). Oddly enough, I was missing dependencies when I tried to compile it.

It just kind of makes me wonder, how did the player get on Ubuntu with those missing dependencies.

Just a thought, not a tech question since I'm having no trouble at all. It just made me think.

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Well, maybe it uninstalled something(s) only it depended on when you uninstalled it the first time.

bunburya
August 24th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I had the same thing recently... I can't remember which packages they were, but a few days ago I decided to try and download the source of a few packages I already have installed and compile them, just to get myself used to compiling from source. Oddly enough the compiling seemed to fail for lack of dependencies.

I'm guessing it's just looking in the wrong place for the dependencies? But then I know nothing about compiling, so...

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I know! You had runtime libraries when you needed development libraries.

LinuxFox
August 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I know! You had runtime libraries when you needed development libraries.Then maybe I guess the people working on Ubuntu must remove them after the software is compiled. It's only a guess.

FuturePilot
August 24th, 2010, 11:08 PM
The dependencies you were missing when you tried to compile it were the -dev packages which contain header files and such needed to compile stuff. They are not needed to actually run the program.

LinuxFox
August 24th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The dependencies you were missing when you tried to compile it were the -dev packages which contain header files and such needed to compile stuff. They are not needed to actually run the program.Yeah, a post before mentioned that. It makes me wonder if Ubuntu uses the -dev dependencies to compile it and then remove them afterwards.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, it just had me thinking.

FuturePilot
August 24th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, a post before mentioned that. It makes me wonder if Ubuntu uses the -dev dependencies to compile it and then remove them afterwards.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, it just had me thinking.

When a package is compiled it is compiled on a buildd (http://www.debian.org/devel/buildd/). All of the necessary build-depends are installed on the buidd and then removed afterwards.

LinuxFox
August 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM
When a package is compiled it is compiled on a buildd (http://www.debian.org/devel/buildd/). All of the necessary build-depends are installed on the buidd and then removed afterwards.Then that answers my question. Thanks.

phrostbyte
August 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM
There is more then one kind of dependency in the software world:

Runtime dependencies - What everyone using the software needs installed.

Build dependencies - Dependencies only needed to compile the program.

Test dependencies - Dependencies needed in automated tests.

When you make a Debian package, you have to specify the build dependencies, but these are invisible to the end user unless they do (apt-get builddep <package name>).