PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unbuntu 10.4 wont boot after disconnecting optical drive!

nickspider
August 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Running Ubuntu 10.4, loaded it with external optical drive, everything works fine with the cd/rom still attached (no cd in it) but when I disconnect it, it no longer boots. I've made sure the boot order is correct. It stops after the bio screen, Ubuntu screen never comes up, stalls at blank screen with flashing cursor in upper left. If I reconnect cd/rom it works fine.
Let me know what other information would be helpful.
Thanks for your time!

walterav
August 24th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Running Ubuntu 10.4, loaded it with external optical drive, everything works fine with the cd/rom still attached (no cd in it) but when I disconnect it, it no longer boots. I've made sure the boot order is correct. It stops after the bio screen, Ubuntu screen never comes up, stalls at blank screen with flashing cursor in upper left. If I reconnect cd/rom it works fine.
Let me know what other information would be helpful.
Thanks for your time!

Any master/slave jumpers on the disks if IDE?

nickspider
August 24th, 2010, 09:24 PM
It is a sata cd/rom. I have no raid array one single 1 tb drive. Which is also sata.

nickspider
August 25th, 2010, 05:17 PM
BUMP
I cannot figure this out. I have tried everything I can think of, someone please help me!
If you need more info let me know!~

ronparent
August 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Go ahead and boot into your sytem with the optical drive plugged in. Go to this site and download the bootinfo script:

http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=250055

Run it and post the output here. This should tell us what you have to do next.

techxcell
August 25th, 2010, 09:31 PM
BUMP
I cannot figure this out. I have tried everything I can think of, someone please help me!
If you need more info let me know!~

Post here the contents of your /boot/grub/grub.cfg please.