PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] why does boot fsck hang with 2.6.23-2[2-4]?

iaw4
August 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
My system has two kernels: 2.6.32-21 (came with 10.04) and 2.6.32-24 (pushed by update). when I boot the first, everything works fine. when I boot the second, fsck just hangs. I can ctrl-alt-del, but it just doesn't continue. Ctrl-C does nothing.

now, I know that the boot process stops on an fsck for a /dev/md1 device (identified via uuid). (these kernels are the -server varieties of the kernels). I can see just before the screen flashes by that RAID6 was loaded. (It goes by too quickly, so I cannot see whether the RAID1 module is loaded, and/or whether /dev/md1 exists or what /dev/disk/by-uuid/* are.)

How do I get the fsck.ext4 during boot to be a lot more verbose about what it thinks it is doing??
How do I get a simple program (fdisk -l /dev/md1) to be executed the instant just before the fsck? (this must be after the screen resolution switches, which happens just before the fsck.)
How do I keep the boot.log from being overwritten? the problem is that I cannot copy it, of course, when it hangs.

help appreciated.

/iaw