PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 new install fails at 94%

rayray519
August 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I am trying to install 10.04 on a Dell XPS Gen 4 machine with Raid 0. I have 2 WD 74GB drives with a 128k stripe.

The install appears to be working great - then suddenly hangs trying to install Grub with the following error:

Unable to install Grub in /dev/sda.
Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.

This is a fatal error.

I have tried choosing different partitions without any luck at all.

Please help - Thanks!
Ray

mörgæs
August 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Please ask only once. It will not earn you goodwill to ask repeatedly.

dagdeniz
August 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM
What did it do on reboot? Grub screen or nothing? I have encountered the same problem with alternate-install cd and was given an option to continue without a bootloader, and I installed grub manually with the help of a live cd. Wasn't there such an option?

ronparent
August 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
The install didn't actually fail, only the grub write to the MBR. This is fixable. On a system where the only boot is a raid, grub has to be written to the MBR section of the raid (not /dev/sda).

To fix read the section 'Reinstalling Grub 2' in the following:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Post-Restoration%20Commands

This tells you how to reinstall grub from the live cd. Hint - the root is your full raid partition (ie /dev/mapper/<YourRaidPartitionInstalledTo> - the location to write the boot loader to is /dev/mapper/<YourRaidArray> (not a partiton on the array). There are three methods shown. You might have to try them all before you succeed. Have fun. Post on how you make out.

rayray519
August 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Excellent, thank you very much ronparent - I will try this tonight and post the outcome (sorry for the repeated posts).

rayray519
August 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
What did it do on reboot? Grub screen or nothing? I have encountered the same problem with alternate-install cd and was given an option to continue without a bootloader, and I installed grub manually with the help of a live cd. Wasn't there such an option?
After the reboot it did nothing - flashing cursor only in the upper left. No other options were presented. It looks like ronparent has provided some steps which I will give a try tonight - thanks again dagdeniz.

rayray519
August 25th, 2010, 01:38 AM
The install didn't actually fail, only the grub write to the MBR. This is fixable. On a system where the only boot is a raid, grub has to be written to the MBR section of the raid (not /dev/sda).

To fix read the section 'Reinstalling Grub 2' in the following:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Post-Restoration%20Commands

This tells you how to reinstall grub from the live cd. Hint - the root is your full raid partition (ie /dev/mapper/<YourRaidPartitionInstalledTo> - the location to write the boot loader to is /dev/mapper/<YourRaidArray> (not a partiton on the array). There are three methods shown. You might have to try them all before you succeed. Have fun. Post on how you make out.
So I followed the steps under " Copy Grub2 files from LiveCD". I entered sudo blkid, and got the following:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="160 GB" UUID="7b758379-2209-4981-b2a9-ef24f7d5884d" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdd1: LABEL="1TB Elements" UUID="008C5D298C5D1A8C" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/mapper/isw_hdfhhahbh_RAIDVOL01: UUID="846f8505-cd28-4c64-ba59-e94cb36cd57f" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/mapper/isw_hdfhhahbh_RAIDVOL05: UUID="ba026def-8a24-475c-bd3b-528d4581dd2b" TYPE="swap"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda: TYPE="isw_raid_member"
/dev/sdc: TYPE="isw_raid_member"
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

When I try and mount /dev/sda, I get this error:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt
mount: unknown filesystem type 'isw_raid_member'

Not sure what next to do here. Is there a way around this or to still mount sda despite it being a part of the RAID array?

ronparent
August 25th, 2010, 03:54 PM
As you now see you cannot mount sda because it is a raid member. If you are trying to mount the raid partition you installed to, you have to specify that partition explicitly (ie /dev/mapper/isw_hdfhhahbh_RAIDVOL01?). The same applies to any other instruction in the document giving a drive location. You will have to list the contents of /dev/mapper/ to see how your system named the raid drive overall (I am unfamiliar with your particular naming convention). You are making progress.

Anusiya
September 15th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Did you use the Alternate CD/DVD to install? This problem is common amongst people who use regular edition, for RAID alternate edition needs to be used.