PDA

View Full Version : help and questions running ubuntu

red40y
August 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
im currently running ubuntu on virtualbox to get around the ATI headache, but the screen size is tiny compared to a regular sized desktop. is there a solution to the ATI problems? i already tried nomodeset and acpi=off for booting from cd, and thought it was going to work, but it didnt and i had to repartition the hd, and redo the mbr. fun huh?
is there a virtual machine program that looks more like your looking at a desktop and not a tiny screen? or a method to getting ubuntu to run with ATI?

id like to get wubi to work, partitioning is a pain in the ***, lol.

stlsaint
August 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
You need to install the additional tools from virtual box. See here for instructions (http://www.smachado.com/2009/11/installing-virtualbox-additional-tools-on-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala/).

red40y
August 24th, 2010, 05:48 PM
i cant seem to get past step1?

this is what im getting

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
gcc is already the newest version.
E: Couldn’t find package linux-source-virtual

what am i not doing right?

howefield
August 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Try some decent/current intructions. You might get further with the Virtualbox manual itself..

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#id2658274

gordintoronto
August 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
"a method to getting ubuntu to run with ATI?"

My laptop has an ATI video card, and Ubuntu works fabulously. What is your problem with ATI? What video card?

red40y
August 25th, 2010, 04:11 AM
i have the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, its one of the cards that has issues with linux.

after a couple trys, i got virtualbox to run in a full fulscreen mode. (user error was the culprit for the malfunction) thanks for the help stlsaint, and howefield! =)

gordintoronto
August 26th, 2010, 12:43 AM
i have the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, its one of the cards that has issues with linux.

Really? That's what I have in my HP G62, and I have no complaints at all in Lucid.

The hard drive was set up stupidly, and I had one audio issue, but the video has been great -- even driving my HD TV via the HDMI port.

GenBattle
August 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM

after a couple trys, i got virtualbox to run in a full fulscreen mode. (user error was the culprit for the malfunction) thanks for the help stlsaint, and howefield! =)

I couldn't boot of the live CD because of my ATi graphics card, but i would recommend you try adding/removing some options from the GRUB boot line before giving up completely:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9766336&postcount=8

red40y
August 27th, 2010, 03:31 AM
for now, i cant afford do have my computer down to try and fix the hardware problems. if i cant have it running with wubi i cant have at all. i still need windows for school and media, and im still learning the programing game. =) ill keep reading up on the matter, but unless some one can give me a for sure fix, then im content with running in a virtual machine.

system specs are: AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.2GHz processor--- 4 gig ram--- AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200---