PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade to 10.04 failed

doihavetodothis?
August 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I have a dual boot PC, the windows partition still works.
The upgrade from 8.04LTS to 10.04 LTS has failed. I can't boot up - in one of the modes it tells me:
mount:/mounting none of /dev failed no such device
etc....
dropping to a shell
Busy Box v1.13.3

I now have four or five new kernels and recovery lines when i boot up, so in the beginning it all looks good.

But when I boot up it won't, or in recovery mode it says something like this:
General error mounting file systems, a maintenance shell will now be started
root@karin-desktop:~#
(fsck says dev/sda3 clean)
you must manually run sudo dpkg --configure -a
When I run this it says:
W:not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
error security.ubuntu.com
error za.archive.ubuntu.com
unable to access dpkg status area: read only file system

(In brief - I haven't written down every line.)
(If you can tell me where to go to get the info you need... )

In the meantime 8.04 has disappeared off my system. Is there a way to revert to it without losing all my info? I really don't want to do a clean install and don't have a live CD. Or is there a way to save the new install and my info?

Thanks.

mörgæs
August 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Does the machine work well, if you boot with a 10.04 live CD?

doihavetodothis?
August 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I don't have a live CD :(

mörgæs
August 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
You can burn a CD from the files here:
http://www.releases.ubuntu.com/

doihavetodothis?
August 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
You can burn a CD from the files here:
http://www.releases.ubuntu.com/

Thank you. I am downloading the alternate install CD- is that the right one to use?

As I have XP on my PC as well....

mörgæs
August 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM
As far as I know the alternate CD is only for installation, not for live testing. The 'desktop' version works for both testing and installation, if there is enough memory on the machine.

doihavetodothis?
August 24th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Ok, will download the desktop and see what happens tomorrow - it's going to take around 6 hours...

doihavetodothis?
August 25th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Have used the live CD and it works. So that's good. Now how do I rescue my info from Hardy Heron and keep my windows partition? Thank you....

mörgæs
August 25th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Good. Now when booting the live CD you can rescue the files from /home to a USB stick.

doihavetodothis?
August 25th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Good. Now when booting the live CD you can rescue the files from /home to a USB stick.

:) ok, how do I do that? Can you give me more details? Would that be in the terminal window or some other way?

mörgæs
August 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
A terminal or Nautilus, as you please. You should be able to see the whole file system both ways.

doihavetodothis?
August 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
A terminal or Nautilus, as you please. You should be able to see the whole file system both ways.
That's great! I found both my drives and I can copy most of the info across - except that some files are locked and permission is denied - they are fairly ordinary things like some open office documents, some pictures, some mp3's downloaded from the internet... any idea why they should be read only/can't be copied?

mörgæs
August 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM
This thread should explain it all.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1552258

doihavetodothis?
August 25th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all your help - I'll do this all later when I have time but it looks like I am sorted.