PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] old notebook HP pavillion ze2000 fail 10.04 lucid install

igorsky
August 24th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Greetings

Searching for one week at the forum, sorry if i missed any posts about my issue,

My specs:

Microprocessor1.4 GHz IntelŽ CeleronŽ M Processor 360
Microprocessor Cache1MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB
Memory256MB 400MHz DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)
Video GraphicsIntelŽ Extreme Graphics 2 (shared)
Video Memory256mb: up to 64mb shared
Hard Drive40GB (4200RPM) Hard Drive
Multimedia Drive24X CD-R read/24X CD-RW read and write /24X CD read/8X DVD read
Display15.0" XGA TFT Display (1024 x 768)

Issue:

The old Blank screen after booting from liveCD. Any boot parameters like =vga771, vga=778 , nolapic, etc doesn't work.

Today i used the mini CD command-line install, got the system running at the terminal, but installing xorg or gnome and rebooting results again in fail. Tried to edit xorg.conf through nano, after sudo apt-get install but before reboot, but was fail again (couldn't open the file).

I dont know exactly if its the gnome or the X the issue, because i tried at the same notebook the ubuntu 8.04, the wallpaper pops up but it freezes after, i cannot use the X.

Both cd's are checksum valid originals from canonical

is there any ways to install gnome and x in the terminal, edit the xorg.conf with anything that solve the problem and reboot?

best regards

update 23:11PM: I found it, its a issue with old intel graphic cards. i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa in the boot parameters and i could use the installer in the lucid live cd. but now i need to edit the grub to always boot with this parameter... any help?

spcwingo
August 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM
To make that permanent just open the file /etc/default/grub in your favorite test editor. At the second:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Between the quotation marks input your parameter. After that save, exit, and then run this command:

sudo update-grub

Finally, reboot and you should be golden. :)