PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Permission Denied? What?

demonic_bunny
August 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I'm trying to install some custom brushes in the GIMP and Im getting an error saying Error moving files: permission denied.

I'm the admin, shouldn't I be able to move a couple of files into a folder? What gives?

AlphaLexman
August 24th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Where are you moving / copying the brushes to?

You should put them in

~/.gimp-2.6/brushes

gordintoronto
August 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM
You're not "root," so you need to take extra steps to manipulate some folders. For example, from Accessories/Terminal: gksudo nautilus
gives you the ability to completely mess up your installation.

uRock
August 24th, 2010, 05:11 AM
gksudo nautilus gives you the ability to completely mess up your installation.
Very well put.

3rdalbum
August 24th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I'm trying to install some custom brushes in the GIMP and Im getting an error saying Error moving files: permission denied.

I'm the admin, shouldn't I be able to move a couple of files into a folder? What gives?

On modern operating systems, your normal user account cannot modify files and folders outside their home directory. this is done for security reasons. You can gain access to the administrator 'root' account temporarily by running a program such as a file browser using the "gksudo" command.

So, the command "gksudo nautilus" will open a file browser without restrictions. Be careful, and remember to use your ordinary user account whenever you don't need root powers.

demonic_bunny
September 3rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
thanks guys, appreciate it. Reasoning makes sense, just used to Windows / Mac OS where you dont usually need the extra step xD

Ocxic
September 3rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
Really, you never needed a to type your password when installing applications, or changing certain settings in preferences on your MAC?