PDA

View Full Version : Netbook install USB verification problem

ajgreeny
August 23rd, 2010, 11:20 PM
I currently have Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook (Novatech X10) and am looking to try Mint 9 isadora, just to compare them. I can run the isadora live USB stick with no problems of any kind, but simply thought I would check the media from the boot menu system, "Check installation media/CD" or whatever the exact words are. The USB is checked, and everytime it reports in real time that 4 files are missing from isolinux, then checks through the casper filesystem, and finally tells me "4 errors were encountered, press enter to reboot". I presume these errors are the missing files, which are:-
/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
/isolinux/splash.jpg
/isolinux/memtest
/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
However, I see all 4 of those are in /syslinux, not /isolinux, so I just wonder if this is a quirk of the system in some way.

Can somebody tell me if this is normal in USB installation media, I always check my CDs this way before using them to install but have never done it with a USB install disk before. The iso is OK, as it was checked with md5sum. I am reluctant to use this USB to install in case there is a problem, but I would like to know if this is simply a USB problem and the install should go OK, or if I should "burn" the USB again, perhaps with unetbootin, instead of the ubuntu Startup Disk Creator.

I have posted this question in the Linux Mint forum as well so hope I will get an answer from somewhere.