PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphical problems after upgrade to Lucid

shodan_uk
August 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hi all,

My gf recently upgraded her Dell laptop from Karmic to Lucid but has since experienced some issues with the windowing system. Is called Metacity? - I'd call it the "chrome" of the windows, eg. the title bar, maximise & close buttons etc.

The description of the problem she's given me is as follows:

"Every time I turn my laptop on it comes up with a small window and when I access the internet, it wont let me maximise/minimise the window.

I have to go to System/Appearances/Visual Effects and reset it to Normal. This then resolves the problem. But the next time I open my laptop, the settings have been forgotten and I have to go through the same process again."

Can anyone suggest a fix? It's taken me ages to steer her away from windows but she's had a few problems since upgrading and she's thinking about heading back to the "dark side"...

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Cheers,
Terry

ajgreeny
August 23rd, 2010, 11:27 PM
The setting of "None" in the appearance dialog should stick after a boot up, but to make sure, go to System ->Preferences ->Startup Applications and remove Compiz from the list, or at least remove the tick from the item.

It may be that your gf needs to install a better graphic card driver, so tell her to go to System ->Administration ->Hardware Drivers and see if there is anything available there for her to use, then try using compiz again.

shodan_uk
September 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

She actually has to change it from 'none' to 'normal' each time and it's the setting of normal that it seems to forget.

Compiz isn't in the list of startup applications to remove.

I've also checked 'hardware drivers' section of the administration menu and there are no extra drivers available.

Cheers,
Terry

shodan_uk
September 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Anyone got any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

shodan_uk
September 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Bump - could really do with some help on this, guys :)